GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just back from a RTE (another thread), I covered a few miles and rode in temps from the low 40s to highest on the Wing's temp gauge of 107. Good ride, no rain, some wind in southern WY and north UT and I would guess a little hot. At most mid-day fuel stops there would be bikes and riders spread out under whatever shade was available. The one commonality was all were in jeans and t-shirts, most helmets I saw were skid lids. Folks would look at my ATGATT in disbelief and a few would question me. The answer is always the same "it is cooler than not wearing ATGATT". So simple but for some reason folks reject it. Truly win win, ride cooler and safer, ride ATGATT.

BTW, as usual while riding the mind chases rabbits. I seldom know where it will go but it usually interests me. Because of the questions about ATGATT, I realized I have been comfortable using the same riding gear through a greater than 100 degree temp range, from a low of 13F to a high of 118F. What is your riding comfort range while using the same gear?

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have ridden comfortably from 18 to 112 degrees and I have to say that I really appreciate the LD Comfort shorts now...they are wonderful! I may not have the system figured out yet on the shirts though I keep trying to utilize them. I actually seem to be more comfortable with a lighter weight shirt of other manufacturers than with the LD Comfort shirts (long or short sleeve) under either mesh or textile. They just don't seem to wick as well and transfer the moisture away from my body. I've read most of your posts regarding the LD shirts and will continue to try them in order to find my comfort zone with them.:coffee1:
The secret, if there is one, is control of airflow. You need enough to make the cooling cycle work but not so much as to lose the cooled air and/or dry the shirt too fast. Most of the airflow should come through the sleeve vents and then have an exit through the back vents. Strange as it seems, the hotter the ambient the less air flow needed. When it is very hot (above 110F) I will have most of the vents closed except for the sleeve vents.

I fought with mine this trip, while I was comfortable I didn't stay as cool as expected. I kept thinking "check the back vents" and would fuel, refill the H2O bottles, get rid of some, wet down, hop back on and be down the road before I remembered I didn't check the vents... getting old is hell :). When typing this I remembered I needed to check the back vents, sure enough they were closed.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I definately can't do a 100F range with the exact same setup. Although I use the same jacket, overpants, and boots, in colder temps I will start changing my internal wear (shorts to jeans to heated pants liner or t-shirt only to heated jacket liner for example).

In my Hot temp setup, I'm good down to about 60F (depending on the humidity level). Much under that and I need to switch from shorts to jeans and throw on my jacket liner (I have very low "natural insulation" so I chill easy).

Anyway from 50F and down, I've got all my heated gear on.

Always have the same outer wear (minus the switch out from summer full guantlet leather gloves to T5 Gerbings) on though.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
After last summer, tooling down to Houston each week, I found that my Aerostitch limit was about 95 degrees. Above that, I just couldn't cut it and (for a short period) joined the T-Shirt crowd.
This summer, when temps got consistently above 90 degrees on the weekly trips to OKC, I bought and tried out fabric/mesh to supplant the Aerostitch.
Didn't work ... reverted to short sleeved shirt.
Now I'm trying the phase change method. Trip to OKC seemed to make the difference I was looking for - it was great under the mesh jacket; so next week I will try it with the Aerostitch and see.
I'm sure wishing, however, that I had gone with a color other than black for the Aurostitch!

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I definately can't do a 100F range with the exact same setup. Although I use the same jacket, overpants, and boots, in colder temps I will start changing my internal wear (shorts to jeans to heated pants liner or t-shirt only to heated jacket liner for example).

In my Hot temp setup, I'm good down to about 60F (depending on the humidity level). Much under that and I need to switch from shorts to jeans and throw on my jacket liner (I have very low "natural insulation" so I chill easy).

Anyway from 50F and down, I've got all my heated gear on.

Always have the same outer wear (minus the switch out from summer full guantlet leather gloves to T5 Gerbings) on though.
Maybe I over stated; when cold I add electrics as needed, when hot I add H2O, both stay on the bike at all times. But the under gear and the riding suit remain the same. Makes it easy to pack :), wear one set of LDC and Kelvar socks, pack one set. A pair of flip flops, shorts to throw over the LDC if I want to take off the riding pants or for after hours, a t-shirt or two for after hours, toothbrush, razor, computer, a book or two, and I'm good for however long a trip I'm on.

Now when MsBubba rides with me, even if for a single over-nighter, it's hook the trailer up :).

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Okay. I misunderstood. In that case I have used the same basic outfit from 0F to 130F (relative heat index). I only add/remove heated liners/gloves/socks. Otherwise, the same protective gear is always deployed. :thumbup:

Although I must say when I'm sitting in traffic in 130F heat, I am definately sweating!! :lol:

Maybe I over stated; when cold I add electrics as needed, when hot I add H2O, both stay on the bike at all times. But the under gear and the riding suit remain the same. Makes it easy to pack :), wear one set of LDC and Kelvar socks, pack one set. A pair of flip flops, shorts to throw over the LDC if I want to take off the riding pants or for after hours, a t-shirt or two for after hours, toothbrush, razor, computer, a book or two, and I'm good for however long a trip I'm on.

Now when MsBubba rides with me, even if for a single over-nighter, it's hook the trailer up :).

·
Registered
528 Posts
After last summer, tooling down to Houston each week, I found that my Aerostitch limit was about 95 degrees. Above that, I just couldn't cut it and (for a short period) joined the T-Shirt crowd.
This summer, when temps got consistently above 90 degrees on the weekly trips to OKC, I bought and tried out fabric/mesh to supplant the Aerostitch.
Didn't work ... reverted to short sleeved shirt.
Now I'm trying the phase change method. Trip to OKC seemed to make the difference I was looking for - it was great under the mesh jacket; so next week I will try it with the Aerostitch and see.
I'm sure wishing, however, that I had gone with a color other than black for the Aurostitch!
I guess you finally got your cooling vest, congratulations! I'm loving mine which I wear under my Joe Rocket mesh jacket. Now I just need a way to keep the helmet a bit cooler.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
I'm an ATGATT guy with the exception I wear jeans. Still have to buy some pants, plan to, just have not yet.

I must be the odd one out. I do not agree that it is cooler than just a t-shirt. I am much warmer in my gear. I'm much warmer with my visor down than open. But I prefer to be safer than cooler so I wear my gear and have my visor down unless going below ~20-25. I've gone to 107 this year and was fine. I sweat, no biggie. I'm hot, but I can tolerate it just fine, it doesn't dissuade me from riding.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Low of 42(It got down to 37, but was only comfortable to 42). high was 117. I still need to get the LD Comfort stuff. I know it's got to be better than the cooling vest I have, but I'll have to replace my mesh with a textile jacket to get the cooling you talk about.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Low of 42(It got down to 37, but was only comfortable to 42). high was 117. I still need to get the LD Comfort stuff. I know it's got to be better than the cooling vest I have, but I'll have to replace my mesh with a textile jacket to get the cooling you talk about.
Not totally necessary, mesh is cooler up to the high 80s low 90s, with textile you can be as comfortable at those temps if you start wetting in the mid 80s. Where textile is better is when the temps go below 50 and above the low 90s then you need to have better control of airflow. If you are only going to wear one riding suit then textile is more versatile and will work at all riding temps. If I already had mesh I would stick with it, just realizing I would need to wet more often when riding in very hot temps and would need to add electrics at a higher temp. Not that big a biggie for most riders.

You are correct, there is no comparison between an evaporative vest and LDC.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
. . . I have used the same basic outfit from 0F to 130F (relative heat index). . .
What is "relative heat index"? How's it related to / compare with the actual thermometer temperature?

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm an ATGATT guy with the exception I wear jeans. Still have to buy some pants, plan to, just have not yet.

I must be the odd one out. I do not agree that it is cooler than just a t-shirt. I am much warmer in my gear. I'm much warmer with my visor down than open. But I prefer to be safer than cooler so I wear my gear and have my visor down unless going below ~20-25. I've gone to 107 this year and was fine. I sweat, no biggie. I'm hot, but I can tolerate it just fine, it doesn't dissuade me from riding.
Good on you. Everyone is different and riding gear is different, so one size doesn't fit all but if you are wearing a full face helmet it should be cooler with the face shield closed once you are in the high 90s definitely by the time you are riding above 100. I've become so use to riding with mine closed year around I forget about it but if I'm crossing the desert and open it for any reason I'm reminded very quickly why I ride with it closed.

The heat, the heat....it's burning the skin off my face, my eyes are exploding....auhhh....close the shields, close the shields :). Better now.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What is "relative heat index"? How's it related to / compare with the actual thermometer temperature?
Something the Hippy Dippy TV WX man gives out to impress the rubes :).

If they wanted to give useful info they would report the wet bulb temp, then you could tell if evaporative cooling and shade would allow you to be in your comfort zone.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I guess you finally got your cooling vest, congratulations! I'm loving mine which I wear under my Joe Rocket mesh jacket. Now I just need a way to keep the helmet a bit cooler.
If you do not mind wetting it every 45 minutes or so LDC makes a helmet liner that works very well. When it is really hot I will dig mine out and use it. It will really cool you off but most of the time it isn't worth the hassle because the other gear keeps me cool enough and I can re-charge them while riding. But when needed it will save your bacon.

I just re-read your post....unless they have made major changes to cooling vests, 45 minutes to an hour under mesh is about all you will get out of them anyway so the effective cooling time shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
528 Posts
If you do not mind wetting it every 45 minutes or so LDC makes a helmet liner that works very well. When it is really hot I will dig mine out and use it. It will really cool you off but most of the time it isn't worth the hassle because the other gear keeps me cool enough and I can re-charge them while riding. But when needed it will save your bacon.

I just re-read your post....unless they have made major changes to cooling vests, 45 minutes to an hour under mesh is about all you will get out of them anyway so the effective cooling time shouldn't be a problem.
I'll look into it, thanks Bubba! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
it's basically the opposite of "wind chill" ... it's the "feels like" temp.

GoldWingRon said:
yep ... will get to really try it out on my homeward trip on Thursday ... current prediction is 108 temp. And the best way I've found for the helmet is WHITE. Not really sure yet that keeping the visor closed is better.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
it's basically the opposite of "wind chill" ... it's the "feels like" temp.

yep ... will get to really try it out on my homeward trip on Thursday ... current prediction is 108 temp. And the best way I've found for the helmet is WHITE. Not really sure yet that keeping the visor closed is better.
Has to be, it's simple physics. Heat flows from hot to cold, when the ambient is over approximately 93-94F the air is hotter than your skin and the "heat" will flow inward. Add airflow to the equation and you have a skin radiator and a pretty efficient one (the skin of your neck and head has lots of near surface blood vessels designed to act as a radiator) with heat flowing into the body instead of out of it. Over 100F cut the airflow as much as possible, closing all the helmet vents and face shield and if you have a LDC helmet liner or do-rag, wet it and keep it wet. That by itself will take you out of the danger zone. I'm closed up all the time, hot, cold or in between, but I can understand folks like to feel air flowing over their skin, makes them think they are cooling off.

BTW, the LDC helmet liner is better than any do-rag I know of because of the amount of H2O it will hold and it covers your head, your neck and goes a good ways down your back. Good product, just wish I could figure a way to recharge it while riding.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Has to be, it's simple physics. Heat flows from hot to cold, when the ambient is over approximately 93-94F the air is hotter than your skin and the "heat" will flow inward. Add airflow to the equation and you have a skin radiator and a pretty efficient one (the skin of your neck and head has lots of near surface blood vessels designed to act as a radiator) with heat flowing into the body instead of out of it. Over 100F cut the airflow as much as possible, closing all the helmet vents and face shield and if you have a LDC helmet liner or do-rag, wet it and keep it wet. That by itself will take you out of the danger zone. I'm closed up all the time, hot, cold or in between, but I can understand folks like to feel air flowing over their skin, makes them think they are cooling off.

BTW, the LDC helmet liner is better than any do-rag I know of because of the amount of H2O it will hold and it covers your head, your neck and goes a good ways down your back. Good product, just wish I could figure a way to recharge it while riding.
So in my car with no air conditioner and temps are in the 100's I should roll up all the windows and drive around with zero air flow right?

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So in my car with no air conditioner and temps are in the 100's I should roll up all the windows and drive around with zero air flow right?
No, A car is different from a bike, it is a closed vessel that can be heated and will retain heat so closed the interior will be hotter than ambient. But you would be cooler if you limit the airflow around your body to just enough to move the heated air out so the interior is no hotter than ambient. That is basically what you do when you close the face shield. Remember the body is trying to stay at a temperature and is using evaporation to cool the skin, if you replace that air with hotter air it acts just like a heat exchanger.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I normally use a tinted visor on my helmet. The use of the tinted visor SIGNIFICANTLY reduces heat gain within the helmet when the visor is down and the sun is in front of you.

With my clear visor, I have to open it up when I stop because my face feels like it is baking. With the tinted visor, I can leave it down with no noticable heat gain.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts