GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another rider killed by a car failing to yield-and because she was elderly they probably wont do anything to her.

The second fatal wreck of the day occurred Sunday afternoon, when a car hit a motorcycle on Shore Drive.

The motorcycle rider, identified as Jerald Patrick Jones, 43, of the 5600 block of Aragon Drive, died while being taken to Sentara Virginia Beach General Hospital, Ball said.

That incident occurred about 3 p.m. in the 5300 block of Shore Drive near Gate 4 of the Little Creek Naval Amphibious Base.

Based on a preliminary investigation, Ball said, it appeared that Jones, operating a 2000 Harley-Davidson Screaming Eagle, was heading east on Shore Drive when he hit the passenger side of a red 2006 Toyota Camry.

The impact threw Jones several yards from the bike. Other motorists stopped to help him until paramedics arrived. The cycle was left a crumpled wreck.

The car, driven by Thelma Bernice Charnock, 76, of the 1400 block of Braden Crescent in Norfolk, had been turning left from westbound Shore Drive onto Jack Frost Road, Ball said.

Charnock was treated at a hospital for minor injuries.

No charges had been lodged by Sunday evening.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
twodogs1800 said:
Another rider killed by a car failing to yield-and because she was elderly they probably wont do anything to her.

The second fatal wreck of the day occurred Sunday afternoon, when a car hit a motorcycle on Shore Drive.

The motorcycle rider, identified as Jerald Patrick Jones, 43, of the 5600 block of Aragon Drive, died while being taken to Sentara Virginia Beach General Hospital, Ball said.

That incident occurred about 3 p.m. in the 5300 block of Shore Drive near Gate 4 of the Little Creek Naval Amphibious Base.

Based on a preliminary investigation, Ball said, it appeared that Jones, operating a 2000 Harley-Davidson Screaming Eagle, was heading east on Shore Drive when he hit the passenger side of a red 2006 Toyota Camry.

The impact threw Jones several yards from the bike. Other motorists stopped to help him until paramedics arrived. The cycle was left a crumpled wreck.

The car, driven by Thelma Bernice Charnock, 76, of the 1400 block of Braden Crescent in Norfolk, had been turning left from westbound Shore Drive onto Jack Frost Road, Ball said.

Charnock was treated at a hospital for minor injuries.

No charges had been lodged by Sunday evening.
My best to the man's family.

The problem with many elderly these days is that they drive my hearing-aid and NOT by vision.

I have learned to try and watch the wheels more than assuming they see you through eye contact.

Best regards,

Shane

·
Registered
756 Posts
I read that in the paper this morning also. I'm waiting to see if any charges are filed against the driver. I ride that road myself a couple times a week.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
:shock:

Fellas,
I'm with y'all, I ride Shore Drive every day to hit Lil' Creek to go to work and several times a week I run out towards the oceanfront for the long way home from work from 5 miles to stretch it to at least 30-40 miles. :wink:
My head is on a swivel the entire time I'm on Shore Drive, the wife knows not to bother me either while we are on it also and I thing that there are days when that road is worse than I-264 either direction. :twisted:

:flg:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts