GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fred,
Long story short, my clutch is just beginning to slip. I have been doing a lot of friction zone riding (top gun, ride like a pro) and was trying a technique of high revs to increase engine gryoscopic stability to improve slow speed riding for top gun. I think I may have fried the clutch.

Symptoms ride now are clutch lever almost all the way out before engagement in first gear. Occassional increase in rpm with no acceleration. Typically engagement happens around 2k rpm. These symptons are intermittent.

I immediately changed the oil. No burnt oil, oil viscosity appears fine.

Questions:
1) Can I baby this clutch (no friction zone, no trailer, gentle acceleration/riding) until the end of the season and replace the clutch then?
2) I have looked at the manual and it appears I am capable of doing this work myself. I know the clutch basket is hard to get to but it looks like centerstand, removal of exhaust, will gain me access. I am mechanically inclined and think I can do this myself. Your thoughts?
3) do i replace the clutch discs (with the clutch material) AND the steels or can I get away with replacing just the clutch disks.

Your thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

VR

Matt

·
Vendor
17,826 Posts
Fred,
Long story short, my clutch is just beginning to slip. I have been doing a lot of friction zone riding (top gun, ride like a pro) and was trying a technique of high revs to increase engine gryoscopic stability to improve slow speed riding for top gun. I think I may have fried the clutch.

Symptoms ride now are clutch lever almost all the way out before engagement in first gear. Occassional increase in rpm with no acceleration. Typically engagement happens around 2k rpm. These symptons are intermittent.

I immediately changed the oil. No burnt oil, oil viscosity appears fine.

Questions:
1) Can I baby this clutch (no friction zone, no trailer, gentle acceleration/riding) until the end of the season and replace the clutch then? Probably not. Repair it ASAP.
2) I have looked at the manual and it appears I am capable of doing this work myself. I know the clutch basket is hard to get to but it looks like centerstand, removal of exhaust, will gain me access. I am mechanically inclined and think I can do this myself. Your thoughts? See my answer on your other post.
3) do i replace the clutch discs (with the clutch material) AND the steels or can I get away with replacing just the clutch disks. After inspecting them you will know. They maybe ok.

Your thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

VR

Matt
--

·
Vendor
22,070 Posts
You won't know what you have to replace until you get it apart and have a look at it. It's very likely that you'll need to replace all the clutch plates and steels, especially if they got overheated. Personally, I think you'll be better off doing it now and not waiting, cause it's only going to get worse, and I wouldn't want to run the risk of causing collateral damage to the transmission.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I had the same problem on my old 1500. After a lot of Parking Lot Practise, my clutch started slipping.

The cause turned out to be a melted scavenging filter, as shown here:

I don't know if the 1800 has one.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
The last guy I asked about a tranny noise-He said it was a clutch issue..:eek:4:

Honda is putting in a new engine because second gear blew apart.So much for that info huh. :eek:4:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts