GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK ... so this could apply to the Goldwing also, but right now it has my interest as it would apply to my wife's 2007 Honda Civic. How important is oil weight ??? The owner's manual for the Civic calls for 5-W-20 (dino) oil... for 70,000 miles she's always had PENNZOIL 5-W-20 every oil change along with a new filter as called for when the silly little light lights up on the dash. A five quart jug of 5-W-30 is on sale (clearance) at TSC for $12.99, about half price. TEMPTING ... How much difference is there between 5-W-20 and 5_W-30 (I know, 10 :laugh: ) Question is, should I remain steadfast (anal) about using the 5_W_20 PENNZOIL or save $20.00 on two oil changes of 5_W_30 ??? Car is like new, other than showing 70,000 on the odometer. Driven very gently by my wife to visit the grandkids and go to church and the grocery ... 0:)

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Check the owners manual. It will have a chart or table showing acceptable oil viscosity based on ambient temperature. Honda may have favored 5w20 for your 2007 but I'd imagine 5w30 might be listed along with 10w30. For most of the USA all are acceptable (from 20 to 100+ F).

Maybe page 223. :)

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
It'll be fine. A 5 grade oil is very much thicker when cold than a 30 grade is when hot. And, since multigrade oil looses a fair percentage of its viscosity in the first few hundred miles it'll be close to 20 grade soon enough. :wink2:

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
You're running the car all the way to when the oil change reminder illuminates ?
Approximately how many miles is that ?

We ran a car on 5W-20 to 274,xxx miles until the second deer strike took it out. 5,000 mile oil change intervals and no oil usage.

5W-30. Probably OK. Not my car. Your call.

·
Vendor
17,822 Posts
OK ... so this could apply to the Goldwing also, but right now it has my interest as it would apply to my wife's 2007 Honda Civic. How important is oil weight ???
That question should be asked to a petroleum engineer or chemist. I don't think there are any here on the forum. Basically all you will get here are opinions ... and everybody knows about those !!!

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Probably only matters on cold starts, but refer to Page 223 of your Owner's Manual. Honda 5W-20 is the only recommended oil for the Civic (DX, etc.) unless you have the Si, in which case "An oil with a viscosity of 5W-30 is preferred for improved fuel economy and year-round protection in your vehicle. You may use a 10W-30 oil if the temperature in your area never goes below 20°F ( 7°C)."

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Oil weight

There are people here on the board with 100s of thousands of miles on 5W40 in their Goldwings. There are others that have the same results with 15W50 oil. Neither of those oils are within Honda's recommendations for the Wing. Neither of them have caused any problems that I'm aware of. I have used both in my Goldwing without issues. Then again, I'm going to crash and burn at any time because I use one of those alternative tires. :grin2:

·
Registered
4,921 Posts
That question should be asked to a petroleum engineer or chemist. I don't think there are any here on the forum. Basically all you will get here are opinions ... and everybody knows about those !!!
But I slept at a Holiday Inn. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
218 Posts
As a self proclaimed expert, JK, the viscosity rating has most to do with the ambient temperatures you are operating the vehicle in. That said, 5-20 is better for winter months and 5-30 would be better for summer driving as the 30 wt designation is thicker for the hotter months offering better engine protection. I would buy and use the 5-30.

·
Registered
456 Posts
So the question is if you run an alternative tire and sleep at Holiday inn do the opposing forces cancel out.
I've run 15-40 Delo 400 in everything since it was introduced . Cars, Boats,Bikes and equipment.
I'll bet your Honda will be happy with the oil you chose

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
OK ... so this could apply to the Goldwing also, but right now it has my interest as it would apply to my wife's 2007 Honda Civic. How important is oil weight ??? The owner's manual for the Civic calls for 5-W-20 (dino) oil... for 70,000 miles she's always had PENNZOIL 5-W-20 every oil change along with a new filter as called for when the silly little light lights up on the dash. A five quart jug of 5-W-30 is on sale (clearance) at TSC for $12.99, about half price. TEMPTING ... How much difference is there between 5-W-20 and 5_W-30 (I know, 10 :laugh: ) Question is, should I remain steadfast (anal) about using the 5_W_20 PENNZOIL or save $20.00 on two oil changes of 5_W_30 ??? Car is like new, other than showing 70,000 on the odometer. Driven very gently by my wife to visit the grandkids and go to church and the grocery ... 0:)
Since your asking about oil for your wife’s car not motorcycle you probably should have asked in the off topic section of the forum.

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
You're running the car all the way to when the oil change reminder illuminates ?
Approximately how many miles is that ?
Not the OP, but I've got a 2008 Civic, and that oil change reminder is 15%, 10%, 5% oil life. I won't change until it's at the 5% mark.

It was around 6300 miles, as I recall, just recently. Six months, my wife drives it to work. I use the 'trip B' trip meter to keep track of that mileage on the car.

The 0W-20 (yeah, not a typo!) from the factory was a requirement for that vintage of car. Why?

https://mobiloil.com/en/viscosity/0w-20

"These manufacturers have selected this low viscosity, full synthetic formulation to optimize fuel economy. Mobil™ 0W-20 motor oils can also be used where 5W-20 is recommended."

·
Registered
191 Posts
With today's engineering, the oil viscosity options are more narrowly defined. Engine clearances to variable valve timing control are reasons for specific oil viscosity. Particularly relating to oil pressure controled variable valve timing. The wrong viscosity oil in a VVT engine could be costly in some motors.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
The owners manual is not opinion and you don't need a petroleum engineer or chemist to read it to you.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok,ok, bought a jug of 5-W-20 at Walmart this evening ? ... We'll see a couple hundred thousand more miles out of the Civic.

·
Premium Member
3,297 Posts
Not the OP, but I've got a 2008 Civic, and that oil change reminder is 15%, 10%, 5% oil life. I won't change until it's at the 5% mark.

It was around 6300 miles, as I recall, just recently. Six months, my wife drives it to work. I use the 'trip B' trip meter to keep track of that mileage on the car.

The 0W-20 (yeah, not a typo!) from the factory was a requirement for that vintage of car. Why?

https://mobiloil.com/en/viscosity/0w-20

"These manufacturers have selected this low viscosity, full synthetic formulation to optimize fuel economy. Mobil™ 0W-20 motor oils can also be used where 5W-20 is recommended."

It's a waste of time trying to change oil. It may agree that it needs to change, it may sincerely try to change, but ultimately it will revert back to its old ways. Oil counseling can help, sometimes, but in the long run, depending on your religious beliefs, your choices are only to adapt to it or to leave it.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Gary K ... I like your attitude ... you are insane, but I like it ... :)

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
It's a waste of time trying to change oil. It may agree that it needs to change, it may sincerely try to change, but ultimately it will revert back to its old ways. Oil counseling can help, sometimes, but in the long run, depending on your religious beliefs, your choices are only to adapt to it or to leave it.
:mic drop:

:mrgreen:

/thread

1 - 20 of 38 Posts