GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I have a story for y'all. A few weeks ago, this board had a thread on air pressure gauges. Cant seem to find it but doesn’t matter , I cant ever find anything. But you got me thinking about my tire gauge. It’s a Slime digital and about 3 or 4 years old, a few of ya mentioned that they go out of calibration with some age. Well I went out the other day and got a tire top off compressor also made by Slime. It’s a little bigger than your fist and it says it can fill a car tire in 14 mins. (like watching grass grow I guess) But I bought it to carry on the Wing. What better way than measure the tire pressure cold in the morning and top it off before riding all day.
Now the other day I used it to top of the tires for the first time and thinking about y'all and the conversation I got the old gauge out and it read 3 pounds lower than the compressor. Mmmmmm 1 pound and I would have been fine but not 3 pounds. Ok call me anal but now which is right??? Good question in my mind. So I stopped by my local parts store this morning and said I want a very good tire gauge and the man pointed me to a Vector dial type. It holds the reading until you push the button to reset. Cool! So I go and measure my front tire with it. 44 POUNDS? (Call 911 Ethel I am coming) I check it with the slime and it says 37.5, and I check it with the compressor and its almost 40. Now I am perplexed, the Wingers on the board have a point about these instruments.
So to make a short story longer I dropped by my tire store and talked to the owner. Asked him what is the best tire gauge? He mentioned some brands I never heard of but they aren’t available to the general public. Grrrrrr. Then he made me an offer to test the gauges. He has a gauge on the tire changer that is spot on as he put it. Tossed a car tire on it and measured 35 pounds. The old beat up slime measured in at 34.5, the compressor measured 37 and that piece of crap I got today said 41. Guess who is going back to the parts store??? Anyhow just wanted to share that with ya. I am fairly sure that most tire places wouldn’t mind testing your gauge so you can calculate the actual tire pressure. Just remember to take care of your tires so that they can take care of you. And I have found that the bike runs better with them on the ground and full of air. Ride safe and send pics.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Interesting...I use the Slime digital.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Now I have a story for y'all. A few weeks ago, this board had a thread on air pressure gauges. Cant seem to find it but doesn’t matter , I cant ever find anything. But you got me thinking about my tire gauge. It’s a Slime digital and about 3 or 4 years old, a few of ya mentioned that they go out of calibration with some age. Well I went out the other day and got a tire top off compressor also made by Slime. It’s a little bigger than your fist and it says it can fill a car tire in 14 mins. (like watching grass grow I guess) But I bought it to carry on the Wing. What better way than measure the tire pressure cold in the morning and top it off before riding all day.
Now the other day I used it to top of the tires for the first time and thinking about y'all and the conversation I got the old gauge out and it read 3 pounds lower than the compressor. Mmmmmm 1 pound and I would have been fine but not 3 pounds. Ok call me anal but now which is right??? Good question in my mind. So I stopped by my local parts store this morning and said I want a very good tire gauge and the man pointed me to a Vector dial type. It holds the reading until you push the button to reset. Cool! So I go and measure my front tire with it. 44 POUNDS? (Call 911 Ethel I am coming) I check it with the slime and it says 37.5, and I check it with the compressor and its almost 40. Now I am perplexed, the Wingers on the board have a point about these instruments.
So to make a short story longer I dropped by my tire store and talked to the owner. Asked him what is the best tire gauge? He mentioned some brands I never heard of but they aren’t available to the general public. Grrrrrr. Then he made me an offer to test the gauges. He has a gauge on the tire changer that is spot on as he put it. Tossed a car tire on it and measured 35 pounds. The old beat up slime measured in at 34.5, the compressor measured 37 and that piece of crap I got today said 41. Guess who is going back to the parts store??? Anyhow just wanted to share that with ya. I am fairly sure that most tire places wouldn’t mind testing your gauge so you can calculate the actual tire pressure. Just remember to take care of your tires so that they can take care of you. And I have found that the bike runs better with them on the ground and full of air. Ride safe and send pics.
I dought you will find two in a million gauges that will be within 2 lbs. of one another. Find one you're happy with and run with it. I have a Schrade and Dill master gauge and they have been close as any I've ever owned.
Nothing is perfect in the real world. :shrug:

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I have several guages. If a new guage is way out of line with them, I generally toss it or return it.

I agree it's hard to be sure of what you are reading.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts