GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just inspecting my rear tire and found a screw in the center of the tread area. I removed the screw and the tire appears to be holding constant air pressure. The tire is a Bridgestone G704 and is about half worn as indicated by the wear bars . My question is do I let it go or replace the tire:shrug::shock::shrug:?

UPDATE: turns out the tire was leaking about 1/2 pound per hour, also found a small staple in the tire near the side of the tread.Fortunately Southern Powersports was open and had the G704 on sale for $169.99. Got there at 4:30 and was out by 5:05 with new tire. Thanks for the replies

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Check pressure is at 41 psi and use some soapy water to check for bubbles. If there is no leak I'd keep running the tire.

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
Like the man said, soapy water to be sure of no leak. If the screw did not penetrate the inner bladder layer, you are good to ride.

prs

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
I rode this tire for 9,000 miles after I backed out the screw. Just through the carcass and not the balloon.

screwtire.jpg

·
Registered
86 Posts
A few years ago on one of my previous GW's (1990) I was riding the interstate at night pulling my camper trlr. & started hearing a clicking by back tire. Made it to campsite safely & didn't notice anything wrong as it was dark outside. Next morning in the daylight I inspected rear tire closely to see a large nail punctured through side of tire & was lightly hitting frame each time tire rotated. Checked tire pressure & no loss of air. Had to ride 40 miles to nearest Dealer in Tulsa, OK to get new tire. A scary situation but it turned out ok.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts