GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I got my bike out for the first ride this spring the TPMS light has been coming on. Let me explain: I ride for 8 or 9 miles and the TPMS light comes on, ride another 4 or 5 and the light goes back off and stays off rest of day/ride, this happens every time I take a ride. Bike is a 2012 Level 3 Goldwing, purchased in May 2011, TPMS sending units in tires have never been changed. I hope Fred sees this and has some idea of what the problem might be. I could believe the batteries are probably getting bad, but if that's the problem why would the light turn off and stay off until the next time I take a ride?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe your tire pressure is a bit low. After 8 or 9 miles, the tire heats up some and the pressure is high enough?
Thanks, but pressure is fine, have been double checking it before every ride. If anything it might be a shade high, pound or two. And, if it was a low tire why wouldn't the low pressure light come on?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Is it the "TPMS" light that comes on or the one adjacent that has the low tire pressure symbol?
I ask, because my 2012 does the same thing, IF it is the TPMS light.
Like you, I check the pressures and they are fine.
Like your description, my light is not initially on, but comes on after a few miles and only stays on for a few miles.
Once it goes out, it seems to stay off the rest of the day.
I was also suspecting the TPMS batteries and plan to replace them, during the next tire change.

I'm interested to see what type of resolution is offered by the knowledge base.

Allan

·
Vendor
16,814 Posts
If I were a dying TMPS battery, and after providing more then 7 long years of flawless service, I'd be pissed off having to provide some sort of signal one more time. Certainly the environment I live in plays a big role. As I die and want to rest in peace, I like living best in ambient temperature, and when laying static. Please, please, please let me die and rest in peace.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Are the front and rear TMPS in each wheel exactly the same?
No I am not trying to be funny (this time).
I have the light on and just figured it was the battery (front) so If I had a spare I could get it fixed and ready to install when the front tire needs to be replaced,
which may be awhile since it is new.
Thinking ahead.
BTW what are people doing with the rear wheel TMPS when they trike the bike?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are the front and rear TMPS in each wheel exactly the same?
No I am not trying to be funny (this time).
I have the light on and just figured it was the battery (front) so If I had a spare I could get it fixed and ready to install when the front tire needs to be replaced,
which may be awhile since it is new.
Thinking ahead.
BTW what are people doing with the rear wheel TMPS when they trike the bike?
Bubber I'm not quite sure what you mean but I bought the bike new and the TPMS sending units in the tires have never been replaced or messed with.

I have an appointment to have both tires replaced and the TPMS checked out June 25, I'll updated the thread after that as to what the dealer finds.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Mine is trike so I was wondering if the tmps sender in the front is the same p/n as the back. Could they be interchanged? I was thinking of getting a spare since I only have the front one, so that when I have to change the front tire I'll have a tmps to replace the one that is in there. My light on the dash is presently on so I believe the battery is dead.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Guys, I rode a 2009 for seven years and now have had a 2016 for four years. Both of my bikes occasionally do this. There could be any number of reasons as offered here by other posters. Personally, I think it has to do with the signal transmitted by the sensor or the receiver not talking to each other for a bit. To me, it’s not a big deal, it sorts itself out in a few minutes, then works fine the rest of the ride. I have come to expect it to happen now and then, as nothing in a machine that has so many sensors, black boxes and tech is going to work perfectly all the time. The main thing is, make sure you tire pressure is where it should be before every ride, and change your batteries next tire change.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Never mind I went and looked in the part fiche and the part number are the same for both front and rear,
39411-MCA-R33 only $128.06 at Mr. Cycle or so it says.
Not cheap

I thought I saw a video where you could replace the batteries. Anybody know about that?

·
Registered
124 Posts
I believe that Fred did a video maybe 8 or so years ago regarding changing the batteries in the wheel unit. Honda only sells the complete sensors for front and rear. Honda does not "approve" of replacing the batteries to the best of my knowledge. Ride safe!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Right here:

·
Vendor
21,760 Posts
If the reciever misses two signals in a row, it triggers the light. This generally takes about 10- 15 minutes of riding. Lithium Ion batteries develop a passivation layer in them as they age, and heat will help break down the layer, so they may start working again after they warm up a bit. This is an indication your batteries are on their way out. If you can remove the sensors and ship them to me, I can replace the batteries for you and test them to make sure they are working properly. I normally turn them around in 1 day. Send me a message with your email address and I'll email you instructions for shipping them.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I had a problem that turned out to be weak batteries. Luckily I found a guy who soldered in new batteries when replacing the tires and saved me big bucks. I was shocked to find out the dealer cost to replace--crazy expensive

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had a problem that turned out to be weak batteries. Luckily I found a guy who soldered in new batteries when replacing the tires and saved me big bucks. I was shocked to find out the dealer cost to replace--crazy expensive
Bubber I'm not quite sure what you mean but I bought the bike new and the TPMS sending units in the tires have never been replaced or messed with.

I have an appointment to have both tires replaced and the TPMS checked out June 25, I'll updated the thread after that as to what the dealer finds.
Dealer replaced both sensors (front and back), don't know if they did any diagnostics on it to determine what the problem is. Headed home on bike, 10 miles down the road and TPMS light comes on, DAMN. Now the light stays on (before it would go back off after riding 4 or 5 more miles), taking bike back to dealer Monday morning. I really wonder if they sync'd they new sensors with the computer.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dealer sync'd the sensors again, don't know what they did different but seems to be working just fine now.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Same problem with my 2015, replaced TPMS batteries two weeks ago and light has not come back on since, old batteries measured at 2.8V, new batteries at 3.25V. I ordered from batterytex
SANYO CR2032-T9-2 (COMP-32-2VL) Battery Replacement

1 - 17 of 17 Posts