GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe this has been gone over before, but I've done some searches and really can't find the answer I'm looking for...

I'd really like to add a cooler rack to the back of my bike and have looked at many posts about hitches being attached to sub-frames and main-frames, etc, etc, etc...Without wanting to spend large sums of money just for a cooler or duffel bag or whatever platform, what is the difference between putting 35 lbs in a Pakit Rak or 35 lbs in an Add-on receiver and a cooler rack? How different is the Rivco cooler rack setup?

I've heard nothing but good about the Pakit Rak and some negatives about the attachment of sub-frame type hitches. In my eyes, I'm seeing the same thing. Can someone help me get this clear in my head?

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it does, thanks. I did see Fred's write up on the Pakit Rak after I wrote the post so I know I have my weights wrong for it. I think he mentions 11 pounds of stuff plus the rack is at capacity.

I may get the Bushtec, but am also looking at the Rivco cooler rack setup. I guess I'm asking if I really need a $300 hitch to haul around a cooler?

·
Registered
223 Posts
The Rivco setup works just fine for me, if you just want to carry a cooler or rack, it's really all you need. It's high quality, and easy to install. Even if you overload the rack, from what I've heard and read, the rack breaks first.

·
Registered
19,443 Posts
get the Bushtec if you want a trailer too- otherwise it is overkill

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's a nice bag. I may have to get one of them TOO...:eek:

I think I would be better if I got something for the extra storage on the back of the bike for the longer overnighters and weekends...I'm really kind of leaning toward the Add-On hitch and Rivco 11x16 cooler rack. It's hard to beat Wingstuff's prices.

G

·
Chuckm I agree about Wingstuff's prices. Right now they are offering one week free member pricing at least 5 to 10 %

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
chuckM said:
Maybe this has been gone over before, but I've done some searches and really can't find the answer I'm looking for...

I'd really like to add a cooler rack to the back of my bike and have looked at many posts about hitches being attached to sub-frames and main-frames, etc, etc, etc...Without wanting to spend large sums of money just for a cooler or duffel bag or whatever platform, what is the difference between putting 35 lbs in a Pakit Rak or 35 lbs in an Add-on receiver and a cooler rack? How different is the Rivco cooler rack setup?

I've heard nothing but good about the Pakit Rak and some negatives about the attachment of sub-frame type hitches. In my eyes, I'm seeing the same thing. Can someone help me get this clear in my head?
Chuck,

We're all different, that's for sure. I've never had just a rack on a trailer hitch, but have had coolers on my trailers. I found that I can buy a bottle of water when I get gas and it lasts till the next rest or gas stop. I found that I hardly used the cooler. I think if I really wanted something to keep ice in, I'd get what DA posted - the saddlebag bag. $250+ for a trailer hitch just to haul ice and drinks, IMO, wouldn't be cost effective.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I totally agree...it's a lot of money to carry soda and water around and I do like the cooler bag for the saddlebag. My thoughts lean towards a place to carry a duffel bag, etc. The cooler part of it would just be handy on trips to the state park, beach or that type thing. I just like the idea of having a cargo platform.

My wife and I have this agreement where she likes to shop and I like to ride. So many of our overnight trips have been to some destinations where shopping is a attraction. More storage would make her ride more enjoyable.

And when Mama's happy, everyone is happy!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts