GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I sold my RT, I tried to sell this Trekker 33 topcase and got no takers, so I figured, if I could manage to attach the Trekker rack for the RT unto this Wing rack, I would have myself a trunk.

I took the stock trunk off because I do not like topcases, the only one I have been able to 'tolerate' is this much flatter Trekker33 box. And the only reason why I put it on this bike is because I am becoming dreadfully aware of how little luggage rack I have now. The next time I tour (I presume by next Summer the country would be healed of viruses and prejudism) I expect to stand up my Marine backpack in front of this trekker box. While I am at home, I 'll probably take the Trekker box off.

I just wanted to show the community my alternative option...hey! its not as cute as the Harley box with 6 wooffer speakers, but it holds my school supplies.
box4.jpg

box3.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
What system did you use to mount the Givi Rack? Nice setup.

A while back I was looking at options to mount a trunk on my Tour that was easy on easy off like the Givi Monokey system. The best option I found was buying the Shad mounting system and adapting the Givi plate to it.

I decided to use the Traxxion system to “quick” remove the Honda trunk as well as use the setback that the Full Traxxion kit provides. While it drastically saves time its no Givi quick release. I have the color matched setup to ride with no Trunk, the bike looks sleek without it or a rack installed so I am hesitant to mount a rack for the few times I actually need a trunk. The downside is having to mount the trunk when my wife wants to ride so a Givi would make it much faster, but a rack would be installed.

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
Sorry, off topic, but what's the story on the two yellow bags strapped to the passenger pegs? Anything we might be interested in? Thanks and thanks again for tip on the top case alternative.

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Drinks/snacks close at hand while rolling down the road?
those yellow bags are from Aerostich. The ones I have are the smaller set--I wish I had gotten the bigger ones.
There are two long velcro straps that run under the seat; the bottom of the backs have a bungy cord that comes with the bags rapped around the inner part of the passenger pegs, on which the bags sits.

They contain: air compressor, flat kit, air pressure gauge, and a battery to start the bike should...on the other bag is a half cover rolled tightly to fit in there.

See Aerostich saddle bags.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I have a set of those Aerostich Tank Panniers and I like your set-up. Did you have to tailor the straps to fit under your seat! Thanks for the "re-purposing" idea! (y)

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What system did you use to mount the Givi Rack? Nice setup.

I used this rack from Big Bike Parts. if you look at this pic, you 'll see the Motech aluminum rack that I had adapted unto the Big Bike Part rack. The Motech rack to hold the Trekker is actually designed for the back of an RT. My machinist friend welded a couple of brackets to insert the Motech rack on top, and the Trekker slided right into it.

I believe this can be accomplished with any bottom rack for any desired topcase. All one would have to do is find a way to attached the bottom rack to the Honda one, and use your favorite topcase.

It 'll be a lot easier than taking the Honda trunk and putting it back one everytime you don't want it
box4.jpg

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a set of those Aerostich Tank Panniers and I like your set-up. Did you have to tailor the straps to fit under your seat! Thanks for the "re-purposing" idea! (y)
No Wingman, but I did have to fanagled the velcro under 'things' below the seat to get the velcro attached...and I left a loop outside the seat so that I can lift the yellow bags and take the tupperware piece that has to come off before you take the seat off.

In order to take the seat off now, I have to undo the bunchy chord rapped around the passenger peg, lift the yellow bag, undo the plastic, then access the now Traxxion seat bolts I have in there.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Very nice. I like the Trekker series. I am toying with the idea of removing the stock trunk from the Tour because I have to be cautious about hitting the tip of the armrest with my foot when I dismount, this is due to limited movement in my right leg. I ended up putting a Givi V47 on the Valk and it works great. I built a custom rack for it and it's very utilitarian when the case isn't on there. The case is set back far enough as I don't even have to think about hitting it with my foot. If I do this to the Wing I will definitely get the Trekker.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have a Triumph Tiger with three Trekkers. I have discovered there are two kinds of Trekkers. The kind that leak a lot and the kind that leak a lot more. Others have had the same experience. YMMV
That is good to know. My Givi has been extremely watertight and I never thought it would be an issue with the Trekkers. Thanks.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I run the aerostitch tank pannier straps across the seat, behind the riders backrest support. Great for holding a Coleman cooler with attached hydration tube.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts