GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased used 08 GW. Bike has metal 90 degree valve stems with plastic clips/keepers (picture attached). From previous posts here I assume there would be no issue installing external TPMS. Not sure the maker of these stems. As it was a used bike thru a dealed from a repo auction I did not get the little things like trunk remote, manual, etc. Wonder if there may be internal TPMS already. Any thoughts.

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
stem

Don't know about the cap but the stem looks to be stock Honda to me. In the future you can put on the stems from "patch Boy". Local service guy put one on my front rim. Seems to be more substantial than the stock stem.

·
Registered
815 Posts
The valve stem that is on there is the stock one.

Just for reference I've had both my front and rear valve stock valve stems fail while in motion. It's not all that fun.

As Ludite said, the cap is something different. It looks as if it could be part of an aftermarket TPMS, but it is really hard to tell from the photo... it could just be for looks.

For the 08s factory TPMS was not an option that I'm aware of, but I know it was available for the 09s.

I, personally, would not trust those valve stems (but i have a 100% failure rate with factory valve stems, which seems to be atypical, and the 2nd one failed at less than 12000 miles) even without an add on TPMS.

I too am now running the patch boy stems, and feel much more comfortable with them than the stock ones.

As for aftermarket TPMS, I'm not all that much help. I check my pressure regularly (not as often as many here) and can tell you that in the event of a sudden pressure loss, you'll know. The last thing I needed was a buzzer or flashing light to "assist" me.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I had a front stem fail after I installed a TMS on the outside a couple of years ago, I really made a mistake of not installing new stems.

I now have the Doran TMS that mounts inside the tire and love it, I can chech the pressure any time by pussing the button on the unit and the red warning light will show up even in the strongest sunlight. It is about the same price as any other unit and is the only one I would use myself.

I know a lot of people buy rear tires off triked units and they do have the factory TMS stem inside but it is usless to anyone because you have to match them to the system on the bike and only a dealer can do that and if one goes out on a wing it would probably be in warranty still.

hope that helps with anything and I would get any stock valve stems off bikes when the first tire change comes.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Yea those mickey mouse stems are an engineering marvel. Someone was asleep when they designed those things.

The first day I had my new 08 the little plastic clip flew off and was hanging on the stem. My buddy that day rode a Harley and he still tells me, see , see......parts are already falling off. Lol!

Do not put anything on them, been more than one stem failure due to the use of TPMS on those stems.

Best change them to metal ones.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Doran TPMS comes with straight and 90 degree metal valve stems. I am using the straight ones, but there is a minimal degree of difficulty with clearance on the rear, no problem at all on the front. Next tire change, I will change the rear valve stem to a 90 degree. I would not put the TPMS sensor on the stock valve stem......they are worthless.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Don't know about the cap but the stem looks to be stock Honda to me. In the future you can put on the stems from "patch Boy". Seems to be more substantial than the stock stem.
:agree:

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Lots of GL riders use the patchboy stems. They work well and are inexpensive. If you want a valve stem that looks better (IMHO) but costs a little more check out the ones from Kurveygirl.com http://kurveygirl.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=144 They are available in several different colors and don't have any rubber exposed to the elements. Here is a picture of one installed in my wing. You do have to remove the boss that the plastic crutch attaches to to install these stems but that is an easy job.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
Lots of GL riders use the patchboy stems. They work well and are inexpensive. If you want a valve stem that looks better (IMHO) but costs a little more check out the ones from Kurveygirl.com http://kurveygirl.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=144 They are available in several different colors and don't have any rubber exposed to the elements. Here is a picture of one installed in my wing. You do have to remove the boss that the plastic crutch attaches to to install these stems but that is an easy job.
Walt, that's a nice looking tire stem alright, but the air inlet looks very close to the rim. Have you ever had any problem anywhere with getting the air chuck on the stem with that tight fit?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I have replaced my stems with the Patchboy stems, but if you are still using the original rubber mounted stems, I suggest you add a plastic wire tie to secure the stem to the plastic keeper. That eliminates the flexing and also prevents the plastic keeper from "disappearing".

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replys. Have been away making a contribution to the Vegas economy. I was making the assumption that these were aftermarket stems because they were metal. But now if I understand correctly when you say to switch to metal stems such as the Patchboy you are trying to eliminate the exposed rubber and the flex issue.

·
Registered
109 Posts
KurveyGirl Valve Stems - Doran TPMS

I have the Doran System and use the 83 Degree Ariet Stems. Bought mine HERE but other stores sell them as well. Like to run my sensors external and these stems are strong, lite, and have a minimal profile that still allows the Doran sensor to clear the rim. Come in different colors as well.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Yes. The "all metal" or solid mount stems remove that problem area of the OEM stems which is indeed the rubber mounting point at the rim's surface. That rubber can flex (which is the reason for the plastic retaining clip) and can/will fail over time. Symptons are often time a loss of air only while riding. :cry:

The rubber mounting is also incapable of adequately supporting any external TPMS sensor. Best to just replace the POS OEM stems with an all metal design. The Doran TPMS system actually comes with 2 sets of metal stems and a strong suggestion you use them if you don't already have a "solid" mount valve stem.

Thanks for the replys. Have been away making a contribution to the Vegas economy. I was making the assumption that these were aftermarket stems because they were metal. But now if I understand correctly when you say to switch to metal stems such as the Patchboy you are trying to eliminate the exposed rubber and the flex issue.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts