GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ai have an Aluma trailer. The 2 lower lights are running and turn signal. The upper is stop. I picked up a pair of lights with all three functions and want to replace the lower lights. My problem is that the new lights only have 3 wires. 1=ground 1=running 1= stop and turn signal. Presently the trailer is 5 wire as is the Wing.
WHAT TO DO
?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Aluma Lights

This may take minute. I did the same thing with my Aluma Trailer, but I used the two lower lights that came with the trailer. I replaced the upper bar light with a three function bar light. The light bar tail light configuration is a diode on each end and one in the middle. The rest of the light bar is brake and stop. I had to get the rear panel repaired because the new bar light was shorter than the original. Because it is how I want it, it was worth the $150 bucks to have the now exposed old mounting holes patched and the rear panel repainted. What you will need is a five to four converter and replace the 5 round plug on the trailer with a 4 wire flat plug. No big deal, just fold back the red brake wire and tape it off. The converter is mounted beneath the top case behind the removable rear panel that the license is mounted on. The converter uses the same diodes for stop and signal. It essentially gives the signal light function priority over the brake light. When I apply the brake all three light fixtures light up. When the signal light is activated then those same diodes blink. I hope this makes sense. It took me a couple of days to make sure it would work like I wanted. Since the rewire its been 1½ years and not a problem.

·
Registered
926 Posts
There's a 5 to 4 adapter in the 'For Sale' section. Would that help?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Aluma Lights

I can understand. It really isn't as complicated as it may have sounded. I can usually get things done like I want them. But I tend to really take my time when I'm dealing with something that I'm not real familiar with. When I revised the trailer lighting I wondered why Aluma didn't originally wire the trailer like I did. It really lights up the back of the trailer, espescially at night when all those brake lights come on. Aluma has redesigned the lighting this year. I believe there are four of the "oval" lights mounted on the rear panel instead of the rear bumper. There are two lights mounted vertically on either side, one above the other, and the light bar is gone now. I personally prefer the light bar better the way I have it now.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Instructions! I don't need no instructions. Just ordered a 5 to 4 adapter. Problem solved. Thanks,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts