GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to bother you guys with more AD questions but...

If I separate the halfs by a 1/4" or even more, but DO NOT do the nickel thing would it still disable the AD?

Also, does the plunger NEED to hit something to keep if from falling out, or will it stop on its own if there is nothing there for it to hit.

Reason I ask is...

I made thick spacer out of a rubber pad used for doing body work and shaped it to pretty much the exact shape of the housing. It looks nice AND keeps dirt and grime from getting in any kind of space. I just want to make sure it's ok to do it this way. I bought longer M5 bolts too. The spacer is probably about 5/16" or so.

Thanks,
Russ

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
MatadorMkV, I would not use rubber or a soft spacer. The bolts

need to be torqued to acheve a solid "holding" of the valve to the

fork. Pot-holes and ruff roads place high G-forces on the moving

parts. Bottoming of the bolts will not join the parts.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Sorry to bother you guys with more AD questions but...

If I separate the halfs by a 1/4" or even more, but DO NOT do the nickel thing would it still disable the AD?

Also, does the plunger NEED to hit something to keep if from falling out, or will it stop on its own if there is nothing there for it to hit.

Reason I ask is...

I made thick spacer out of a rubber pad used for doing body work and shaped it to pretty much the exact shape of the housing. It looks nice AND keeps dirt and grime from getting in any kind of space. I just want to make sure it's ok to do it this way. I bought longer M5 bolts too. The spacer is probably about 5/16" or so.

Thanks,
Russ
I don't see any reason it won't work. I've used a washer with an oring on top the seal it off and it's never came loose.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Yes, this separation will disable the AD function. No the plunger will not fall out.
I used a 1/2" long piece of a 3/4" PVC coupler which is just the right diameter.
I cut the length of the spacer to fit the replacement bolts available, which was easier than cutting the bolts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts