GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I was helping a friend today with a 2001 GL1800 with a blown left fork seal. We determined that the anti dive unit was stuck. I had hoped that we would just need to space it out a bit, but that was not the case. We pulled the pin with the two rubber O rings and cleaned them up and applies some silcone grease. There seemed to be a lot of grit, possibly deteriorated rubber present. Time will tell if that done any real good. Do I correctly understand that the only way to get replacement O rings is to buy the pin assembly? Is the correct name for this assembly a Plunger Case? If not, what is the correct name? When we finished, we started to bleed the brakes with very little success. I have bleed brakes many time with no problems, but we could never get the rear petal to firm up properly. I was using the format Fred listed in his videos, I even bleed the anti dive at the banjo connecting to the anti dive unit. We pushed about 15 oz of fluild through the lines trying to get them bleed. It starts firming up on the second squeeze. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Donnie

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Donnie
The crud between the two O-rings, I had a sample from my bike analyzed, it was mostly brake fluid and dirt with very little O-ring material. I believe the dirt is coming in through the small bleed hole in the back of the plunger assembly. I bought a O-ring kit from a member of this board, don't know if he still has them or not, you can always go to a local hydraulic shop and pick up a few.
As for bleeding, are you using a mighty vac or similar tool or doing it by pumping then open the bleed screw ?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Blleding Brakes

Hi Cal-D!

I am bleeding them with a hose and a bag, but I have a helper and positioning the hose so that the fluid goes up before it drains into the bag. This normaly prevents air from backing into the bleeder valve. I have Russell Speed Bleeder Valves on my two bikes and they work very well.

Donnie

Donnie

·
Registered
589 Posts
Donnie, I just did mine a few weeks ago. No problems. I used a Mityvac.
One tip I will pass along to you though (which I also did) is to hang a little weight on the brake pedal overnight. By doing this you open up the system and it allows air bubbles to migrate up to the top of the master cylinder reservoir from other parts of the system.

With the front brake, I turn the handlebar such that the front master cylinder is at the highest point and tie the brake handle half way back. This does the same thing for the front brakes.

·
Vendor
22,221 Posts
You can manually bleed the anti dive valve by pushing up (hard) on the bottom of the left caliper (which pushes the secondary master cylinder) and then opening the valve on top of the anti-dive valve. Close the valve, release pressure on the caliper, and repeat - repeat - repeat - repeat.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts