GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got my anti-dive disabled with a shim and 5W oil on left fork and Traxxion springs.

But I've noticed that the shim leaks oil. Not too much but enough to be noticed on the floor.

Any thoughts?

·
Vendor
17,784 Posts
Which part is leaking. The actuating valve with the brake hose that goes to it, or the lower half attached to the fork slider ???

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Problem solved. I've taken off the shim and the leak have stopped.

By the way, I liked much better the suspension feeling with the anti-dive disabled. Was much smoother on uneven surfaces and equal estability.

have you checked? your sure its not from the fork seal running down past the anti-dive
Yes, I have cleaned and checked several times.

Which part is leaking. The actuating valve with the brake hose that goes to it, or the lower half attached to the fork slider ???
That was the lower part.

Thanks for your feedbacks folks!
:thumbup:

·
Registered
5,965 Posts
Am I the only one wondering how in the heck does an anti-dive shim cause a leak???
No you are not, from the first post.

Reactions: lyle doverspike

·
Vendor
17,784 Posts
Am I the only one wondering how in the heck does an anti-dive shim cause a leak???
It's caused from Thomas Jefferson taking a pee !!!

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
:grin2::grin2::grin2::wink2: come on guys you gotta laugh, that was a good come back!

Ronnie

Reactions: GoldWingrGreg

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have a full shim, not a coin style. If you want one, PM me.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
It sounds like your shim is too thick. Find a thinner one or grind the one you have. It's not very complicated.

Richard

Thanks Richard. I'll try grinding it. I prefer the feeling ADV off.

No you are not, from the first post.

I'm wondering too, but belive me, it leaked. I've cleaned and chcked it several times. Perhaps a SAE5 oil is too thin.

:grin2: Its a full shim, not a coin. :grin2:

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Well I can see no reason why the anti dive disable shim would cause a leak, the only way you will get fork oil out of that joint is if the piston in the bottom assembly is leaking and allowing fork oil up into what should be a dry space between the top and bottom sections. Now it is possible that the fit of the parts in the OEM configuration is such that the oil cannot escape easily and stay contained in the void between the sections and the fit of the shim is not as tight as the OEM parts and thus allows the oil to seep out more readily. Just a theory, your mileage may vary as they say.

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
I disabled mine by removing the bolts completely and zip tied the top (piston) part to the fork tube.

Reactions: livingstone

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks mates.

The leaking was produced when the bike was parked and was worse when ridding, (oil on the side of the tire).

Recently back to home for a 2000 Mi ride without any problems, (no shim).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts