GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Q. Does Prestone® Antifreeze/Coolant contain phosphates?

A. Some European automobile manufacturers request that a phosphate-free antifreeze be used in their vehicles. This issue is related to the extremely high mineral content of the water in Europe. If you were to mix an antifreeze that contained phosphates with the type of water they have in Europe, it may produce deposits that can settle in the cooling system and promote corrosion. However, in North America we do not have this type of water problem. Typical North American coolants have contained phosphates (which is part of the corrosion inhibitor package) for many years. Therefore, the question of phosphates is a non-issue here in North America. Prestone® Antifreeze/Coolant is completely safe for use in both foreign and domestic vehicles. For those consumers who would feel more comfortable using a phosphate-free antifreeze, our Prestone® Extended Life 5/150 Antifreeze/Coolant is phosphate, silicate, and borate free. This coolant uses a special chemistry and technology that extends the life of the corrosion inhibitor package so that it lasts for five years or 150,000 miles (whichever comes first), and is safe for all cars and light trucks (old or new). Prestone® Extended Life 5/150 Antifreeze/Coolant has been approved by General Motors under their DEX-COOL® specifications and is compatible with other DEX-COOL® approved coolants.

B

·
0 Posts
Very interesting answer - except that while seeing the words; car, truck and vehicle, I did not see the key word "motorcycle" which I am sure is salient to the folks on this board.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
No but the statement "Extended Life 5/150 Antifreeze/Coolant is phosphate, silicate, and borate free" appears to cover it.

·
Registered
17,043 Posts
There are plenty of areas here in North America with "hard" water. Iron. calcium, sulfer, magnesium, etc abound. However, upon whatever continent one resides, distilled, de-ionized water is what should be blended with coolent

prs

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"except that while seeing the words; car, truck and vehicle, I did not see the key word "motorcycle" which I am sure is salient to the folks on this board."

I thought a motorcycle is a "vehicle"!!

·
Registered
21,055 Posts
all the entended life antifreezes are supposed to be silicate free but i would like to know why they choose not to put that information on the container it comes in ?

·
Registered
747 Posts
honda 50/50 premix, why chance it. how many times do you change the antifreeze anyways.

·
Vendor
22,102 Posts
The recommended interval is every 2 years or 24K miles for changing the coolant. I do mine every year, as I put about 30K miles on in a year.

Don't use tap water to mix with the coolant. Go to the grocery store and buy a gallon of distilled water for 99 cents. Not only is tap water high in mineral content, city water has been chlorinated, which can and will ruin an aluminum cooling system and heads.

The Honda coolant is pre-mixed with de-ionized distilled water, so if you use it you have no worries.

For some reason, in recent years anti-freeze manufactures have stopped printing on the labels if their products contain silicates or not. They used to put it right on the label so it was easy to see which brands were safe, but now most don't tell you.

Not only do the additives in anti-freeze go bad over time, but the PH of the water can change. Personally, I don't think using an extended life anti-freeze with a 5 year/ 150K mile interval is all that great an idea. Even though the anti-freeze may still be good, the PH of the water will go sour long before 5 years.

It takes a whole 30 minutes and costs a whopping $20 to change your anti-freeze once a year, and that is if you use the high dollar Honda pre-mix. It costs even less if you use another brand.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Antifreeze

I bought a gallon of Prestone "Dex-Cool" 5/150 from WalMart today and it has "Silcate and Phosphate free" printed on the container. Undeluted and cost $9.00.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts