GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I was going to a co. seminar this morning. I was to meet a few other wings and other things for the ride. I parked my '06 wing ( w/ 980 miles.) for approx 5 mins. after a short 2 mile ride there, it was cold, 29 degrees.
The other things arrived and we were about to take off and I noticed a small puddle under the left fog light, I thought it was from another vehicle at first but checked anyway. I knelt down to discover it was anti-freeze and it was dripping off the lower cowl.
Went home and dropped the wing off and took my truck. I know it is probably a loose hose clamp but will that cause an air bubble in the cooling system, and will have to bring it back to the dealer for repairs, a real P.I.A.
Anyone else have this happen to them and what did the dealer or you have to do to correct the problem?
Thanks in advance
Rich K ( Wing Ski )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
847 Posts
Pull the side cover, there is a hose clamp above the shifter, check it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,244 Posts
Watch the coolant level and for leaks for a few days before you do anything. I know a couple of guys who think it is real fun to pour a little puddle of liquid under new cars and bikes just to alarm the owner. They seem to get a real thrill out it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
M.B
I parked on the end, and walked towards the group and faced my machine, no one went near it for the 4 or 5 minutes we were there. I saw the anti freeze coming out from behind the tupperware on to the lower cowl just above the left fog light and on to the ground.
It is leaking
Rich K ( Wing Ski )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,947 Posts
seems to happen to way to many 1800's

i know folks that have had to take their bike back to the dealer more than once for the same leak

been lucky it never happened to the 2 1800's i have owned, it's not uncommon, lots of other vehicle owners encounter this problem once the cold weather starts
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
Check the hose clamps on the small hoses at the bottom of the radiators. Only leaked under real cold situations if they were not tightened correctly at the factory. ... Kind of a hassle to get to and tighten with out some major disassembly.. Also took a lot of investigation to find the source, coolant blows with the air when moving and a little goes a long way.
 
W

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
MotorcycleBoy said:
I know a couple of guys who think it is real fun to pour a little puddle of liquid under new cars and bikes just to alarm the owner. They seem to get a real thrill out it.
I can't imagine everyone pulling something like that.

Now I heard it all.......... :evil:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
463 Posts
coolant leak

There is a "Y" connector under the shelter, very low down on top of the engine that the clamps seat in and become very slightly loose. The only time they leak is in cold weather. I was able to correct mine, it is not easy but can be done. A bike that new I think I would go back to the dealer so that there is a record of coolant leak on the bike's history with Honda just in case there are complications down the road, the warranty would show that the problem had occurred before. Just my .02 worth.
 
W

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Re: coolant leak

fixitfrank said:
There is a "Y" connector under the shelter, very low down on top of the engine that the clamps seat in and become very slightly loose. The only time they leak is in cold weather. I was able to correct mine, it is not easy but can be done. A bike that new I think I would go back to the dealer so that there is a record of coolant leak on the bike's history with Honda just in case there are complications down the road, the warranty would show that the problem had occurred before. Just my .02 worth.
Yup..... some good advice.

For you people that don't like dealerships and don't trust them, find one that you do trust and always get problems like this on record, especially if you bought the extended warranty.
Never could understand why people pay $400-500 for extended service, then don't take your ride back to a dealer and try to fix it on your own.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
311 Posts
MotorcycleBoy said:
Watch the coolant level and for leaks for a few days before you do anything. I know a couple of guys who think it is real fun to pour a little puddle of liquid under new cars and bikes just to alarm the owner. They seem to get a real thrill out it.
Son'za beechez !!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I KNOW I don't have any friends like dat :!: :!:
Rich K ( Wing Ski )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,350 Posts
I've had mine back to the dealer twice for coolant leaks and both times it was the Y connector on top of the engine. Both times it was fixed with no questions asked (Freehold Honda). There were around 25,000-30,000 miles between repairs.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top