GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After finishing my winter service work on my bike, and doing a pressure test on the cooling system, (it held 14# for about 8 hrs), I can still smell antifreeze while riding, but I do know the wife spilled some on the radiator while filling it up. I'm just wondering how long it takes to get any spilled fluid evaporated or burned off so it doesn't stink. This really bugs me and makes me wonder if I've developed another leak after getting it all back together.

M

·
0 Posts
Check those clamps

Your right to question the smell of coolant. Check those hose clamps real good. If you have a lift check under the fuel cell too. Theres a hose clamp under there that got loose on my wing and started a mystery coollant smelling story that was fixed under warranty.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
The smell can linger for quite a while. I ride a lot and once had to put up with the smell for a couple of weeks after I had made the repair. Much more than that and it probably indicates that a leak is still present. I've had one for seven months now...........guess I better get to fixin it :p

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks MarkE. While working on it, I pulled the tank out and rotated and tightened the ones under it, and all the other ones I could get to. I didn't pull the front part of the shelter off though to where I could get to the ones that actually connect to the radiators though, may have to start over and do that too. I pressure tested it with a homemade rig I made out of a bycycle tire pump, as I couldn't find a tester that would fit on my radiator neck. None of the parts stores had one. Honda mechanic at local dealer said they don't use them:shrug:! Anyone know what brand and a part number of one that will fit?

·
Registered
16,627 Posts
Spilled coolant that get to the motor block or crevices around the heads will stink for a good long time -- maybe a few thousand miles. If the spill was recent and at the filler neck, go to the right side of the bike and remove the side cover to expose the oil filler area. There is a gap fore and above the rear master cylinder reservoir bottle where you can use your finger to touch the low area just under that upper most posky three way coupler. Use a damp shop towel wipe that area to remove any pooled or cooked down coolant. You may also see some drip lines from the spill that you can wipe away -- Windex with vinegar works well to help cut the stink potential of the stains -- no ammonia on an aluminium bike.

I do not know if such a good pressure test result as you got could still be had if coolant were tracking along those blasted casting lines on each leg of those two large three way coolant hoses and thus can't say if that extremely slow and intermittent type of coolant drip onto hot engine parts is not your problem. The lower 3-way fitting. if weeping, drip right onto thecat area. They probably only do that on heating and cooling cycles.

prs

·
Registered
809 Posts
Thanks MarkE. While working on it, I pulled the tank out and rotated and tightened the ones under it, and all the other ones I could get to. I didn't pull the front part of the shelter off though to where I could get to the ones that actually connect to the radiators though, may have to start over and do that too. I pressure tested it with a homemade rig I made out of a bycycle tire pump, as I couldn't find a tester that would fit on my radiator neck. None of the parts stores had one. Honda mechanic at local dealer said they don't use them:shrug:! Anyone know what brand and a part number of one that will fit?
If you see a tool truck like Snap-on or Mac Or Cornwell they will have what you need. Alittle expensive for a occasional deal. Do you have a buddy that owns a auto shop pretty sure he has one. Yes it will stink for a awhile. the faster you go the less you smell it.:lol:

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
You can try and dilute or completely remove the spilled coolant by flooding the area with water from a garden hose...

When I started smelling coolant on my bike,I went the "Pull the fuel tank route" thinking my leak was in the same place just like everyone else's??

Nope.I had not one but both hoseclamps leaking just under the Cly heads on each side..
I pulled both header covers and the clamps/hoses were right there leaking on the Exhaust header causing the coolant smell..

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rocky, that's exactly what I just went through, but the only one I had "seaping" was the one on the right side. Funny, I started to take off the exhaust covers first and check there, but with all the talk on here of the ones under the tank, I figured I'd start under it. Oh well, it was an interesting learning experience for me, I'm not so scared to tear into this beast now! I just don't want to have to do it to often. I guess if I can't get this "smell thing" cleared up, I'll have to do it again before spring gets here.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Rocky, that's exactly what I just went through, but the only one I had "seaping" was the one on the right side. Funny, I started to take off the exhaust covers first and check there, but with all the talk on here of the ones under the tank, I figured I'd start under it. Oh well, it was an interesting learning experience for me, I'm not so scared to tear into this beast now! I just don't want to have to do it to often. I guess if I can't get this "smell thing" cleared up, I'll have to do it again before spring gets here.

I happen to have my own Radiator pressure tester with the small adapter for imports with a tiny neck like our 1800's have..

Around here most auto parts stores will loan or rent you a radiator pressure tester with the correct adaptor to fit the radiator neck..

·
Registered
470 Posts
Redneck Okie,
Whats the big idea of blaming mama for spilling the anti-freeze on the radiator!!!!!!!! I hope you can live with yourself!!! Thats wrong to blame mama!!!!! Semper-fi:flg:

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Redneck Okie,
Whats the big idea of blaming mama for spilling the anti-freeze on the radiator!!!!!!!! I hope you can live with yourself!!! Thats wrong to blame mama!!!!! Semper-fi:flg:
I'm not blamin' mama for spillin' it, she did it, she knows she did it, and she can't deny she did it;)! She was even reading over my shoulder when I typed this original thread this morning:shock:. All she said was, "yea, go ahead and tell everybody it's my fault-You didn't tell me I had to pour it in slow". Well, maybe it is partly my fault then. That's what I told her, but we really know different. Gotta keep her kinda happy:thumbup:, I control the bike, but she controls the other fun activities:rolleyes::twisted:! :22yikes:(Me if'n she EVER figures out how to get on here and read this stuff:oops:!

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you see a tool truck like Snap-on or Mac Or Cornwell they will have what you need. Alittle expensive for a occasional deal. Do you have a buddy that owns a auto shop pretty sure he has one. Yes it will stink for a awhile. the faster you go the less you smell it.:lol:
I'm going to keep trying to find one, but I went to 2 different auto parts stores that loan them out and neither one of them had one that would fit. They both had one in their kit that looked like it should but they just wouldn't screw onto the neck! They said they were for the small import cars, but I couldn't get them screwed on, looked like they were about 1/8th of an inch to small.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As a matter of fact, I answered the adaptor question quite awhile back when I needed to pressure test my GL1800. So, here's what search turned up....
http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162363&highlight=Stant

:yes1:
Thanks a heap Larry. That's what I've been lookin' for. I ain't figured out for sure how to use the search function on here yet, plus I'm somewhat computer illiterate anyway, so I have difficulty there! I tried to find it on the stant website, but just couldn't figure out which one I needed. I'm gonna order me one pronto, then I'll have it next time, when me or one of my buddies need it. UPDATE: Went to our local Advance Auto Parts store, ordered one, be in tomarrow so Monday, (my next day off), I may pressure test it anyway. I did take it for an 80 mile ride, watching the temp guage closely, and seems to do ok, not as much smell now, so I think it's gonna be ok!

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
When I did mine I spilled some too. As slowly as the radiator takes liquid it's nearly impossible not to. Mine smelled too, I flooded the right radiator fins and head area and that took care of it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts