GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is riding a bike with anti lock brakes a little different than one without? I have my first bike with anti-lock brakes and it seems a little different, stopping etc. Is it just in my head?

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I think you should take that bike out and select a quiet bit of road with a good surface and have a play.
That is at a slow speed grab a real fist-full of rear brake and hold it on and see what happens.
Then do it with the front.
Then both together.

Then slowly increase your speed and do it all over.

You will develop a feel of where the threshold point is and all your questions will be answered.

I am not saying you should change your riding style to simply grab and rely on that anti lock to work all the time.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I wouldn’t think you would ever know your bike has ABS until you exceed the performance envelope required to have the system activate. I believe the systems are completely passive until they are activated.
:agree:

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
I used the ABS today. Panic stop across tar snakes. The front tire broke loose momentarily as it traveled over the tar. My natural inclination is to get off the brakes somewhat. I have to force myself to disregard a lifetime of experience and just keep them smashed down. This was a do or die situation and I ended up with a couple feet to spare. Pulling a fully loaded Hannigan trailer.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ponton, glad your ok. Like I said, might all be in my head. I hope if I’m in that situation I’ll have the presence to do as you did. Ride Safe!!

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
You won't notice you are riding on a bike that has antilock brakes, until you find yourself in a panic stop, sand or oil and stay upright. Saved my bacon twice! :biker:

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I just finished the ARC and some of the exercises involve emergency stops at fast speeds! Wow, does this bike stop FAST!! ABS works brilliantly!! :grin2:

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
I can feel the difference easily The only motorcycles I've owned with ABS are two Yamaha Super Teneres. Every time you hit anything slippery at all while braking, even if not slippery enough that you would normally even notice, the ABS will kick in for a while and you feel the loss of braking.This definately includes braking over tar snakes "A while" can be anywhere from a millisecond to several seconds. Bumps while stopping which normally are hardly even a concern on a normal braking system throw the ABS into panic mode and you never know if/when you may regain braking. Hard to believe everyone thinks it never activates except in an emergency stop. Bullsheet, it activates all the time and you do feel it.
Don't know about the GL1800 system in particular. Maybe it's fabulous, just saying generally, yes you can feel it.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
The ABS id not passive at all. It is sensing the rotational speed of both wheels and if changes occur the ABS keeps the wheels from locking up. And you come to a stop safely. I have been saved several times when ABS activated the system to a complete stop safely.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I have ABS (and was a "requirement" when I was buying my Wing) and I have engaged the ABS several times. And as others have said - it saved my bacon!

You don't state (and it isn't in your signature) if this is your first Wing - but what you might be "feeling" is the linked brakes activating vs. the ABS kicking in.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
ABS has never saved my bacon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
466 Posts
ABS has never saved my bacon
With modern ABS you would not even feel it as it saved your bacon.

Early versions signaled their activation with a pulsating feeling. That’s not been true for at least a decade. Modern ABS is only worth turning off in off-road racing. Not a common activity on Gold Wings.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
With modern ABS you would not even feel it as it saved your bacon.

Early versions signaled their activation with a pulsating feeling. That’s not been true for at least a decade. Modern ABS is only worth turning off in off-road racing. Not a common activity on Gold Wings.
I know it have never saved my bacon on a motorcycle because I've never had it on a motorcycle. I've had to make a few hard stops throughout the years and all the motorcycles have done is stopped, I can't attribute it to ABS. Although it has came standard on all the cars I've had for the last few decades, I can confidently say that I'm pretty sure it's never saved my bacon there either.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dan 18960, I bet I am feeling the linked brakes. This is is my first Goldwing and first ABS bike. Now that it’s been brought up, I’m sure that’s what I am feeling and not the ABS. Thanks

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
I posted these on another thread...this is similar, but not exactly as it works on the GL series bikes. This is the CBR version.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts