GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Smelling Antifreeze on Leftside! I took to Dealership and their thoughts are "Loose Clamp under Top Shelf". They had 2 Others with Same Problem. Also, haveing new tires put on "Bridgestones", replacing stock D250's after 15,050 miles on them. They still have a few thousand miles on them! We are going on a trip the first week of Dec. I thought now, is the time!

·
Registered
532 Posts
Hello,
Had my '06's anti-freeze leak fixed today ( I Hope ). Did not pick bike up because of the heavy rain.
Rich K ( Wing Ski )

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought the front tire in July from Hal @ HDL and the rear x2 online "EBAY".

·
Registered
138 Posts
Dunlop E3's arrived today. Install on Friday. Was TOLD this was the last front tire in country. Don't really care, I needed tires now. Seems to have more rubber than OEM Dunlop 250's.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Chuck, the D250's are Dunlops! They performed good for me and could've got 18,000 mi to work and back. Bridgestones, being mounted! I kept 40 psi in front 42 psi in rear! Also had 2 plugs in rear, one plug on way home from Nashville and one around home, good for riding to work and back but not for open road traveling!

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dealer called, The bike is fixed! Went to pick up and asked where the leak was found. They didn't find any residue but tightened all clamps they could see, $165.00 to mount tires! I really like the ride of the Bridgestones and quietness. When i got home and let tires cool, i checked the air pressure and added pressure to 40-41 in front and 42 psi in rear. By the way, when i got home "60" back road smiles, i could'nt smell any antifreeze. I'll save $$ next time by removing wheels and have mounted next time unless other issues need to be addressed.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
$ 165 to install two tires on your wing ??? Boy, they didn't see you coming, they sent a cab to pick you up! For me it was $25 if I delivered the wheels and $65 (1 hour)on the bike.

·
Registered
17,388 Posts
Jchefboyardee said:
Dealer called, The bike is fixed! Went to pick up and asked where the leak was found. They didn't find any residue but tightened all clamps they could see, .
That is not a very encouraging report from your mechanic. The clamps they can "see" depends upon how hard they looked. The most likely candidates do not show them selves to the casual glance. There are three under the fuel tank that are common seepers and several other smaller ones tangled beneath them that should be checked. There are three other big likely seepers just above the Cat and coolent recovery tank, next to (just inboard of) the drive shaft boot. WIth the bike on jack stands and the recovery tank removed, those can be reached if you are persistent in your attempts. There are quite a few other small ones under the fairing and front side covers. The don't show unless you tear into the bike. Another you have to look for is the seal on the water pump. IF this one seeps, don't panic, just figure on getting it fixed when you get home or get around to it. Even if they were successful, you may smell coolent for a couple of thousand miles, but we be aware of possible continued seeping.

prs

1 - 13 of 13 Posts