GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I got a question after riding on hot day and the fans come on I get a smell of antifreeze around the bike. I replaced the antifreeze in December and put about 12,000 mile on it and as far as I can tell there is no leak. The smell is around the radiator and I removed both pockets and there is no sign of anything wet around the hoses. I removed the cap and the antifreeze is at the top and I have the same level in the bottle as I did when I replaced it. I thought maybe I spilled a little when I change it a few months ago but I have washed the radiators fins out with a hose 2 times and still get that smell on hot days. The bike is a 07 with 88,000 miles.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
You do have a leak. What is happening is the leak is so small that the coolant is leaking onto a hot engine and is baked away. Must be so small right now that you will not notice any missing.

It is common knowledge that the hoses have been know to leak and the clamps are NOT adequate to keep the hoses from leaking.

Hope this helps. Only way to fix is to get in there and replace the clamps.

·
Vendor
17,774 Posts
If you are not able to see it, you will have to pressure test it to know where it is coming from. JustWings.com sells the pressure tester addapters specific for a GL1800. Often it has to be tested at different pressures to find the leaks. There can easily be more then one.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I had ther same thing on my '06. Had the service done on it about a month ago and it was low on coolant. They found one of the clamps was loose and tightened up. No more smell, so far, and the Temp guage is right where it's always been. You need to get it looked at for sure.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Check out my maintenance log (#11, 15-17).

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267274

You may have the beginnings of the same leak. It was from the left radiator's top-front hose's clamp. Actually happened after a coolant change. Not really sure why. Coincidence, I think.

Your description sounded eeriely similar. It may take some time to chase it down.

·
Vendor
17,774 Posts
Check out my maintenance log (#11, 15-17).

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267274

You may have the beginnings of the same leak. It was from the left radiator's top-front hose's clamp. Actually happened after a coolant change. Not really sure why. Coincidence, I think.

Your description sounded eeriely similar. It may take some time to chase it down.
If so, you will have to pull the ferring loose on that side about 2" and replace the clamp. Don't just tighten it. I have seen to many where that was done, even on my own bike, and over time will leak again. That hose wraps around a plastic stand off and gets gentally pulled on from on-coming traffics windblasts. See this other post http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=286893&highlight=goldwingrgreg

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Everyone is right about leaking radiator fluid being a common problem with the Gold Wing. I am not sure why they leak around the clamps but I have never had any issues with a pin hole in any of the radiator hoses.

Don't forget that there are also a bunch of coolant hose clamps located down under the gas tank. Because of their location, you would never see any evidence of a standing pool of anti-freeze unless the leak was so bad that it started spilling over the top of the rear of the engine, but you would certainly be able to small the anti-freeze when the bike was fully warmed up.

These clamps are a real hassle to get to but if you take your time, it is not really complicated. Fred Harmon suggests re-orienting the clamps so the screw heads are pointing up so they are easier to tighten if they ever need it again. From the factory when they tighten these clamps, they still have much of the upper bike to be assembled so they have access to the clamp tightening screws at a lower angle than you will. Fred also suggests that when you are done re-orienting the clamp screws, you place a thin rubber sheet over the clamps so their now upward facing screw heads and excess tabs do not rub a hole in your fuel tank. Thanks Fred.

There is another solution to this problem of which some will not approve, but I can attest that it works and does no harm to your Gold Wing. Add a little bit of Stop-Leak to your radiator (not the overflow tank). I had some really small leaks around some of my hose clamps that I could not track down and fix on my 1989 GL-1500 and it ran that way for over ten years until I sold it. Much of my riding was done two up towing a camping trailer (Kwik-Kamp) loaded down with a huge amount of camping gear...AND I RIDE IN THE DESERT! I never had it overheat even when the temps got around 110 degrees farenheit...although my personal body temperature was pegged at oh-my-god-this-is-way-too-hot-hot-hot!

I also used Stop-Leak to temporarily stop a leak when a bolt kicked up by a vehicle in front of me puched through the plastic radiator grill protector and put a hole in on of my radiator fins. It held for the 70 miles it took me to get home. I had to send the radiator to Utah to get welded and I lost the circulation in one tube, but it too held throughout the time I owned the bike.

Good luck tracking down your seeping leak.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Look at picture 12 in this link. http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148972

When the engine is hot coolant drips on the header and a rider smells the coolant smell.Some times it take a warm day in order to smell it.

I had found a few of these clamps loose.tighten them up.no more issue.

Pressure testing the system is a good idea,but can you take all the plastic off the front with confidence?.

Taking off the lower header shields only requires taking off the lower front cowl (where running lights are) and the header shields.to see these hoses on both sides.Check/tighten both sides too.:thumbup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts