GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought some Prestone 50/50 mix antifreeze for the bike and cars. It doesn`t say it`s silicate free. The Prestone web page says nothing about this. None of the other brands say silicate free on the back of the bottle. Are all new coolants silicate free? Thanks.

·
Registered
747 Posts
dont take a chance, go to honda and get the good stuff.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Go to a Honda car dealer and get the good stuff and save money.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Water pump replacement is expensive. I'd get the Honda stuff.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,201 Posts
UNDERDOG said:
Just bought some Prestone 50/50 mix antifreeze for the bike and cars. It doesn`t say it`s silicate free. The Prestone web page says nothing about this. None of the other brands say silicate free on the back of the bottle. Are all new coolants silicate free? Thanks.
Send an email to Prestone and ask them, I did awhile back and can't remember which versions they said were silicate free. :?

S

·
0 Posts
prep the system with prestone and insert some 30 weight ball bearings - no on second thought Quaker State!

It's anti-freeze use the same stuff you use in your car.

·
Chard Member
12,965 Posts
All I have used in the past stated it was "silicate free" if it was "silicate free".

For some reason the antifreezes with silicate destroy the water pump seal in a short time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm not sure about the PRESTONE 50/50 but below is what I found on the 50/150:
Prestone® Extended Life 5/150 Antifreeze/Coolant is phosphate, silicate, and borate free. This coolant uses a special chemistry and technology that extends the life of the corrosion inhibitor package so that it lasts for five years or 150,000 miles (whichever comes first), and is safe for all cars and light trucks (old or new).
Lousi

·
Registered
20,950 Posts
i was told that all the extended life antifreeze brands are silicate free

but it sure is interesting that the manufacturers don't seem to want to put this information on the containers, whats up with that ?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Texaco has an antifreeze that states it is silicate free and safe for all aluminum engines. Available a Wally World.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Look at the ingredient label. If it says silicates, in any way, don't use it in your bike! :shock:

You will probably find about 3 brands of pre-mixed, silicate free coolant in a good auto parts store. Shell Rotella is one of them. It is available in the gallon jug.

If you don't have any coolant for your bike, pony up and get a quart from the Honda dealer. I think it was about $4. It dispenses easier and the bottle is refillable. You might even like the blue bottle with the label on it that tells you that it is what you want.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts