GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is information some of the good viewersof this board might like to know about.

Sometime back there was some discussion about antifreeze that could be used in our precious wings.

I happened to purchase Prestone GM DES-COOL during one of my shoping trips with the intention of using it for my '02 bike. Last night I decided it was time to see what the label said about this. This product was developed for Gm specifications GM 6277M, Ford WSS-M97B44, and DaimlerChrysler MS-7170, MS-9769, AND IS SILICATE AND PHOSPHATE free.[/b]

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
As long as it states that it is silicate and phosphate free, I see no reason why you shouldn't use it. I do not use the expensive coolant available at Honda bike or automobile dealer. It is already diluted and you're paying top dollar for half the amount in water. I, personally buy the Havoline extended coolant. It is of orange color, silicate and phosphate free and add distilled water myself for a 50/50 dilution. One gallon of coolant and one gallon of cheap distilled water makes 2 gallons of mixed coolant. Enough to last you for 2 coolant changes.

Ride safely,

Mike T.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
If the coolant is not pre-mixed, get some distilled water for the dilution process. I wouldn't use tap water or bottled drinking water.

I have a couple quart bottles of Honda coolant. I refill them with my jug coolant and use them for just the simple top off and traveling (in case someone needs it). They are handy and you know it is coolant (not necessarily Honda coolant).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts