GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm awaiting my first :excited: (2012) wing. I'm wondering if I can purchase a belly pan for it and not worry about it fitting the (new?) model.
Thanks all.

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
I'm awaiting my first :excited: (2012) wing. I'm wondering if I can purchase a belly pan for it and not worry about it fitting the (new?) model.
Thanks all.
It appears that available 'belly pans' will fit the facelifted GL1800. Suppliers should know for sure...

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Thanks all.
Yes the bellypan will fit the 2012 models without any problem.

It appears that available 'belly pans' will fit the facelifted GL1800. Suppliers should know for sure...
Ben.I'm curious as to why you think the 2012 was "facelifted"??

I take it you don't know about all the changes that were made.:shrug:

Lots of parts were changed from the eng/frame up.Most don't know about them because they don't work on wings.

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
That's a fair question. From what I can see, the chassis and much of the plastic remain the same. I understand that shock and spring rates have been tweaked, the "dash" layout has been revised and the side cases are larger. I wouldn't call it all new by any means.

Yes the bellypan will fit the 2012 models without any problem.

Ben.I'm curious as to why you think the 2012 was "facelifted"??

I take it you don't know about all the changes that were made.:shrug:

Lots of parts were changed from the eng/frame up.Most don't know about them because they don't work on wings.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
That's a fair question. From what I can see, the chassis and much of the plastic remain the same. I understand that shock and spring rates have been tweaked, the "dash" layout has been revised and the side cases are larger. I wouldn't call it all new by any means.
All new forks (according to every part number)
Totally new wiring harness.
Upgraded switches.
Easy install (plug n play) CB ,all within the trunk.no more taking shelter off.
All new rear shock (I take it just a new shock)
NO front end shimmy out of the box (Maybe roller bearings??)

Just to name a few.(I'll know more after I tear one apart for work)

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
All that you mentioned sound like nice tweaks but the frame, the drivetrain and most mechanical and electrical bits remain the same as best I gather from what I have seen. Sometimes new part numbers mean new suppliers...

All new forks (according to every part number)
Totally new wiring harness.
Upgraded switches.
Easy install (plug n play) CB ,all within the trunk.no more taking shelter off.
All new rear shock (I take it just a new shock)
NO front end shimmy out of the box (Maybe roller bearings??)

Just to name a few.(I'll know more after I tear one apart for work)

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
All that you mentioned sound like nice tweaks but the frame, the drivetrain and most mechanical and electrical bits remain the same as best I gather from what I have seen. Sometimes new part numbers mean new suppliers...
I know that Honda supersedes part numbers when they change vendors.the 2012 has there own new part numbers.
Even the triple trees are different part numbers.

That means-Aftermarket suspension company's are going to have to build new parts for the 2012 too.:coffee1:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts