GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know in 2016 they made some pretty major improvements on the FJR1300, with a 6th gear, slipper clutch etc. so I am not interested in feedback before that model. I believe the 2016-2019 are pretty much the same. Just wondering if anyone here owns one and how you think they compare with the pre 2018 Wings. I know luggage is less so that is not a fair comparison. I am more interested in handling, quickness etc. Thanks for any input you can provide me.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I do not think those 2 bike compare. The Yamaha FJ competes against the Kawasaki Concours which has a larger motor and is more powerful. Some would even compare the FJ to the Triumph Trophy too.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
I don't think I could draw a straight line between an FJR 1300 and a pre-2018 Goldwing. OTOH I could very easily do so between a 2018-2019 Goldwing and a FJR 1300. FWIW when I first rode a 2018 Goldwing, the FJR 1300 was the first bike that came to my mind as a direct competitor.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Who needs a slipper clutch on a bike like that? Not me, on a zx10 yes, Fjr no. I had a 2008 Fjr and I liked the fact that it only had a 5 speed tranny. Less shifting. It's a cruiser fro the most part. On the other hand, a close friend raced me in a straight line on his Concours 1400 with a 6 speed tranny and the extra 100cc's, he beat me ( I am the more accomplished rider by far if you were wondering).

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think I could draw a straight line between an FJR 1300 and a pre-2018 Goldwing. OTOH I could very easily do so between a 2018-2019 Goldwing and a FJR 1300. FWIW when I first rode a 2018 Goldwing, the FJR 1300 was the first bike that came to my mind as a direct competitor.
I can see where you could better compare the newer Wings to the FJR. I was really hoping to get someone who owned a 2016 or later to see what they thought say giving up an earlier Wing for this bike. I would certainly be interested in the new Wing if my bank account would allow it. You can get a slightly older like a 2016 for half of a new Wing. Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Who needs a slipper clutch on a bike like that? Not me, on a zx10 yes, Fjr no. I had a 2008 Fjr and I liked the fact that it only had a 5 speed tranny. Less shifting. It's a cruiser fro the most part. On the other hand, a close friend raced me in a straight line on his Concours 1400 with a 6 speed tranny and the extra 100cc's, he beat me ( I am the more accomplished rider by far if you were wondering).
Head scratcher here! :confused: I have a slipper clutch on my Kawasaki and its fantastic, shifts like butter. So you like to shift less but would not want an easier pull?? Sounds a wee bit contradictory to me as it would make the whole shifting process less of a burden if you feel that way. Anyway the 2016 and new FJR's have a 6th gear and I have not heard anyone say that was not an improvement. Also I know all of these bikes are fast and do not care to compare racing times but thanks for the reply.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts