GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2018 Goldwing tour.

If I set the suspension to one rider and bags it feels better then one rider with no bags.

Just been diagnosed with 4 bulged discs in lower back. Another one is ruptured.

Doc wants to take away the bike so I got a new doctor.

Looking for a better suspension but want to keep the factory controls working if possible.

Anyone know of anything that works like factory?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Traxxion uses the factory preload selector. The suspension will likely not be better for your ailing back, though.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kind of what I am afraid of to tell the truth.

Numbness in my legs and fair amount of pain in my lower back and pelvic area.

Going to see the new doc in a few days to see what he can do.

Been riding for 49 years now and just hate to give it up.

Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Traxxion uses the factory preload selector. The suspension will likely not be better for your ailing back, though.
Unless something has changed since Max installed my suspension he does not use the factory controls, there is really no need to even if it was possible.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Traxxion does use the factory controls for changes in the suspension. Where I once used the Rider, Passenger and Luggage setting for me (no passenger) towing my Bushtec Trailer, I now use the Rider with luggage setting.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Have the same problem. Rode a little too far yesterday. When I stopped to get gas it was hard to swing my leg over the seat. I felt better after I got off the bike and walked around a bit.

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
One of the "suspension" mods that really softens the ride for cushy comfort is use of a rear "NON-Fun-flat" alternative tire. Even the one model of run-flat that I tried was more cush than the OE tire on my 2002. For cush, keep your radial up front and do NOT exceed the Honda cold inflation pressure; you can even lower it a bit. Same with NRF rear, inflate a bit less than typical suggestions; maybe 37# instead of 40#.

Max has numerous Youtubes about how the new suspension works and options to set the adjustments. I "think" the Traxxion system for the previous generation GL had more options for setting dampening and spring rates.

Legs going numb; listen to the Docs about your options and make sure the diagnostics include vascular issues too.

prs

Reactions: Porkie

·
Registered
468 Posts
Unfortunately, we are all getting older but sometimes our MIND refuses to accept what our bodies are telling us:surprise:

Massive amounts of Ibuprofen taken before a long ride really helps me. 56 years of riding and all that really bothers me is my BUTT, since no MFG has found out how to make a comfortable stock seat!:serious:

My last 3 new Goldwings rode pretty stiff but I'm thinking about getting a new 2018-19 and hoping that my test ride will be like driving a Cadillac:laugh:

Listen to your Doctor so that you don't get worse.:crying:

Sam:nerd:

Reactions: CarpeDiem

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
The use of "factory controls" is just a little too broad to use on this bike. The factory shocks have a pre-load adjustment on the rear shock and both have dampening adjustments based on driving mode (tour/sport/econ/rain). Both of these adjustments make up "factory controls" because they both exist coming off the assembly line. All of the aftermarket shock replacements will have the same factory pre-load function, but few (if any) will have the dampening adjustments. More times than not, an after market shock will not need the Honda dampening adjustment controls any way.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys!

Hope to see the new doc this week.

Guess I will just run the shocks on rider and bag for now and see how it feels.

Looking at back braces as well.

I know I am getting older but I just refuse to grow up!

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This from the folk at HyperPro.

"Hello Kevin,

We have recently developed a set of shocks for the new Goldwing.
We are currently making the final tweaks to this set and think it will be available in about 4 weeks.
After it has been released , I can give you prices and such.
It is a shockpair that keeps the original possibility for the electronic adjustment.

With kind regards / Met vriendelijke groeten,

John Troost
Hyperpro Sales B.V.
Tel: +31-(0)183-678867"

I can wait for this!!

Had HyperPro on my K1200LT and liked how it rode.

·
Registered
109 Posts
As DDL points out, there are two suspension adjustments, which explains the confusion.

When you switch ride modes the computer adjusts the suspension without your input - sport is the stiffest.
These no longer work with the Traxxion suspension, nor would you want them to.

The four settings in the “vehicle settings” are still adjustable with the suspension change.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
This from the folk at HyperPro.

"Hello Kevin,

We have recently developed a set of shocks for the new Goldwing.
We are currently making the final tweaks to this set and think it will be available in about 4 weeks.
After it has been released , I can give you prices and such.
It is a shockpair that keeps the original possibility for the electronic adjustment.

With kind regards / Met vriendelijke groeten,

John Troost
Hyperpro Sales B.V.
Tel: +31-(0)183-678867"

I can wait for this!!

Had HyperPro on my K1200LT and liked how it rode.

this sounds interesting. if it works it would be one up on the traxxion offering

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Have you thought about a different seat or even an air cushion for the bike...When I brused my tail bone I bought an Air-Hawk air cushion...don't ride without it....

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Will call RDL in a few weeks.

Probably wait till the hot weather comes back so I am not out of a ride in the best time of year here in Phoenix.

Seat really doesn't bother me like the BMW did. I did a ride in with RDL after about 600 miles on my 09 K1200LT and that solved that problem.

Thanks for the tips, will give them a look see.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts