GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
The J&M and AirRider integration units do not connect the phone to the intercom. They both use a 'switch to talk' switch to connect the headset to the phone.

The potential danger here is that some phones can't drive the headset speakers with enough volume to overcome road noise and the dynamic microphone used in the helmet intercoms sometimes don't match well with the phone's electret element requirement.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
-warning: advice ahead-

One should not use a cell phone while riding anyway. The newest Cycle World just arived and an article says over 2,600(!) deaths and some huge number of injuries were caused last year by inattentive idiots on cell phones while driving.

Please don't become a statistic.

David M.

(post edited due to my bad memory)

·
Registered
206 Posts
[quote="David M
One should not use a cell phone while riding anyway. [/quote]

And the major problem is inattentiveness because you are engaged in a conversation. The "hands free" part does nothing to address the real problem. Bottom line, pay attention while you are driving.

Carl

·
Registered
88 Posts
there is no way that 200,000 death figure is even close to correct.

For the last 10 years, the average highway death total for the entire US is only 42,000. thats trucks, cars, motorcycles.

If even 5% (which i consider a high number) are cell phone related than the number would be a about two thousand.

Maybe they added two extra zeros.

Ah

A Harvard study found that 2,600 deaths each year, or 6% of all traffic fatalities, can be attributed to cell phone distraction.

But real world statistics from numerous states that keep track put the actual number at 1%.

I am not discounting the problem in any way, its huge, especially for us on motorcycles. But sleepy drivers, medicated and drug using drivers, intoxicated drivers, they respresent a bigger problem.

Oh, yeah, and as long as I am slinging my opinion. I am quite sure a study would show that drivers that eat fast food in their car cause at least as many crashes as cell phone users. Or how about those hot blooded teenagers that practically make out in the front seat at high speeds. Oh to be young again.

Scott

J

·
0 Posts
rmccalla wrote:

Take a look at the Nolan N-Com system that is just coming out. Mounts in the helmet and works with your blue tooth phone.

There is a cute video of it at http://www.nolan.it/home.asp - click on 'Download spot N102 N-COM'
I have been watching the N-Com for nearly a year and unless something has changed in the past few weeks it is only available in Europe.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
haslip, you are correct, I entered an incorrect number and have edited it. The article actually says over 2,600 deaths. However, 1 is too many.

David M.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I am not discounting the problem in any way, its huge, especially for us on motorcycles. But sleepy drivers, medicated and drug using drivers, intoxicated drivers, they respresent a bigger problem.

this is a quote from another poster I agree they do pose a bigger problem exspecialy when these people are on their cell phones

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Assuming truly hands free operation, why is talking on a cell phone more dangerous than talking to someone riding behind you or, in a car, next to you? In fact, when talking to a passenger in a car, the driver often looks over at the passenger. :chatter: While on a cell phone there's no one to look at, so I imagine you are more likely to keep your eyes on traffic, etc. I really don't get it. :?:

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Don't know why or how, JM, it just is.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I really doubt that it is more dangerous. I suspect that they just don't have any data on how often an accident is caused by a driver "distracted" by conversation with a passenger.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts