GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There may be an old post about this, but I'm wondering if there is any problems with running the Ethanol 10%, in the Goldwing. Seems to be getting harder and harder to find 100% Gasoline;!
2nd, do you have to run any kind of additive to the fuel if you do run the Ethanol?
Thanks for your replies

ValleyRider:doorag:

· Registered
2013 Red GW
5,937 Posts
The only problem is your gas mileage will drop. Mine went from 40 (gps mileage) to 36 (gps mileage) using it. I found a station with out it and the bike went back to its usual 40mpg.

· Registered
330 Posts
The owners manual for the 1800 says that it is fine up to 10% so don't think you need to worry. We have been running it for years ( over 100,00 miles on bike ) and no problems either mechanically or performance wise.

Good riding

· Registered
334 Posts
We have no choice here in Florida, as ALL gas pumped in Fl must contain the 'up to' 10% of Ethanol.
It would be nice to run regular gas with no mix, and will try to do that whenever I'm riding out of state.

Harry.

· Registered
2,657 Posts
E10 is mandated in some areas of CO for enviro reasons and there is always a drop in MPG along with the seasonal drop in the winter, which makes it seem even worse.

What concerns me is the push by various enviro & Fed groups to mandate E20 all the time for everyone even if your vehicle wasn't designed to digest it.

With any luck that mandate for all vehicles will get shut down and we will be allowed to buy E10 for our older vehicles for a deacde or two but don't count on it with the new admin in power.

· Registered
478 Posts
Hummm let me see. State require 10% ethonal and you and I get 2-4mpg less per gallon and there is no price at the pump difference. Looks like the Oil companies win again, a neat way to sell more gas and get bigger f*&^%$#%ing profits.

· Registered
977 Posts
Remember, that ethanol attracts fuel tank condensation water IN SUSPENSION - not at the bottom of the tank, like non-ethanol.

Water might then produce cumulative corrosion to aluminum components, throughout the fuel system, especially, at narrow diameters.

Fuel system water absorbtion additives probably make more preventive sense, for use with ethanol added Gas, than the threat of a frozen non-ethanol fuel system.

· Registered
39 Posts
I just moved to the Houston area and find that everywhere I stop, it reads on the pump that ethanol has been added. Just figure that it is something I will have to live with.:?

· Registered
1,211 Posts
I live in the Midwest, cornfields all around my house, 250K miles on two different Gl1800's. Ten percent mileage drop quoted is not my personal experience. Maybe 2-3% but not ten%.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.