GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is your experience/ I'm thinking about an Arai or Nolan full face with integrated headset. Kinda pricey I think.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Hey Jan, I have the nolans with the top of the line headsets, works for me. Tim

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
And they don't get in the way of my ear rings :lol:

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have the Tour Com with the intergrated J&M headset. I'm not all that crazy about either.

·
Registered
403 Posts
The J&Ms have worked well for me and us over the years. We most recently had them in our HJC Symax helmets and they performed well. We recently switched to the new Nolan 102 helmets and got them from Air Rider with their headsets installed. We think the Air Rider headsets and mics perform a little better, most noticeably in music projection and voice pickup. However, the J&Ms always seemed reliable and capable.

·
Registered
229 Posts
My S/O and I have N100E Nolan's with headsets installed by J&M. Very professional installation job. However, I do not like the sound quality in these as well as the J&M sets I installed in my HJC 3/4 helmet. Also the mic is almost inside my mouth with the face closed. I guess that would depend on the shape of your face more than anything. I also did not try a helmet with the headset installed before I purchased them.

·
Registered
9,112 Posts
Hey Jan,

I have three of the KBC 3/4 (with an add on face shield) with the intregrated headsets and they work great. I wanted to get the Nolan or Arai full face, but with the allergies I have, one sneeze and, well...you figure it out.

I do like the Arai Classic SZ/c with the flip up shield. At least if I sneezed, I can get my hand under the shield to cover up the mess.

Bartman

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have the Arai Classic SZ/c which has the J&M Integrated Headset, its a 3/4 with built in face shield, very quite, very little wind noise. It is a great helmet, good fit and the sound system is great, price is to high I paid over $600. I bought black and it scratches very easy. Overy all I am very satisfied with the helmet and I usually get five years out of one. I know they recommend replacing every three years, if I don't drop it I will us it longer than that.

Good Luck

·
Registered
195 Posts
We got the Nolan 102's with the top of the line J&M headsets already installed. Can't say anything bad about them at all - they are great! :D

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I have used J&M headset for many years. Right now, I have 4 different sets starting back from when J&M made it branded as Hondaline. The sound quality has improved over the years but their prices have escalated at an exponential rate.

J&M older styled headsets were all hardwired together so if one speaker or the mic went bad, the whole system was trash. The new units have connectors between each component to fix that problem but their "value priced" unit is still hardwired so I would strongly recommend NOT buying that system.

J&M have always had a weak mechanical design where the unit clamped to the helmet. I have broken that piece three times, and twice was on the section that meant that the whole assembly was ruined. I tried JB weld on one of them but I never trusted it so I ended up buying a new set. I want to use one of the old J&M units for my wife's backup helmet but the cord was pulled loose from one of the molded connectors so I thought I would just buy the cord and be back in business. Looking at the J&M web site, I found out that the cord is still priced at $49.00! Screw that!
:banghead: :no:

I have recently found that since EdSets have hit the market and the word is spreading on their outstanding customer support, J&M has come out with their low price leader set priced the same as the EdSets at $169.00. Imagine that coincidence! The problem that I noted above is that the J&M is a hardwired unit and the EdSets has the interface connectors. J&M also requires you to purchase the interface cable separately although they are now selling for $22.00 instead of the rip off price of $49 of just a few years back.

My personal opinion is that the J&M hardware is of better design and quality than EdSets, with the exception of their helmet clamp section. That problem has been solved on the newest units that have just the hole poking through the helmet for the cord to plug into, but that is either in their custom helmets ($$$$$$!) or their top of the line system ($$$!). J&M uses a metal spiral wrap support for their mics so they should last for many years and is much more rugged than the EdSet design IMHO.

EdSets has been maturing and improving their hardwaretechnology and are getting better but more improtantly, they are standing behind their products. I have had several items replaced for free even though they are out of warranty. As someone has said before, "you can't buy that kind of advertising", and this board has validated that many times over.

Now the sound quality of the top of the line J&M units has always been excellent, but the much lower priced EdSets have almost equal sound at a much, much, much lower price. If you compare the sound quality of the value line J&M to the EdSets (at almost the same price), then the EdSets win hands down. It should also be noted that the EdSets seem to put out more sound at the same bike volume level settings. When I first got EdSets for my wife, she was always telling me to turn down the volume because it was too loud for her. When I got my EdSets installed, that is no longer a problem.

I guess if money were no object, I would spring for the J&M high zoot new fangled wizz bang all farkled out Arai helmet with their top of the line integrated headset for both me and the wife. But in reality, I have switched over to the EdSets for both me and the wife in our main helmets and we are happy as clams.
:clap2:

:yes:

·
Registered
791 Posts
Mark Rowell said:
Now the sound quality of the top of the line J&M units has always been excellent, but the much lower priced EdSets have almost equal sound at a much, much, much lower price. If you compare the sound quality of the value line J&M to the EdSets (at almost the same price), then the EdSets win hands down.
I have not heard a J&M system yet but if you say the sound quality is only equal to the Edsets then I am surprised. To me Edsets sound worse than a carbon mouth piece telephone. In other words very little acoustic energy below 400 hz.

Pete

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Tim and everybody. I ordered the Nolan today.

JLK

1 - 13 of 13 Posts