GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have finally found a sport bike that doesn't hurt me. One of my riding buddies bought an '03 FZ1 and let me take a spin. An hour in the saddle and my neck fusion didn't bother me much at all and my arthritic hands were way better than expected. He had a 1" lowered clamp and the bars rolled forward. I'm thinking stock clamp and bars upright would put enough weight back on my butt to make this very tolerable for day rides or even two day over nighters.

Anyone have any experience with the generation 1 (carbureted) FZ1? Looking for input on ergonomics as well a dependability and maintenance.

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts

This is my 02 FZ1, wish I had kept it. The only reason I sold it was because I figured I needed to slow myself down before I killed myself or got one heck of a ticket. The adrenaline rush was addictive. I couldn't resist whacking the throttle and blasting by other bikes at 140+ mph. This bike had incredible suspension and rode MUCH smoother than the wing. Twisting the throttle was like an electric motor, so linear. It has the more upright seating so your neck and shoulders don't kill you. By all means if you have an opportunity to ride one, do so, you'll love it. Great bike and basically bullet proof. Oh, I see you've already ridden one, so you know what I mean. Good luck.

Tom

·
Registered
83 Posts
Great bike. I still have my 04 black/silver FZ1 that I purchased new. It is everything you described. I may be will to part with mine fairly cheap if you are interested. It is perfect condition and only has 8k miles. Full set of soft luggage (4 pc.) and Yamaha tank protector and cover.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Mine is a GenII. Great bike, and the ergos are more of a standard vs. a full on sport bike. They have a slightly de-tuned engine of the R1 with 150 HP at the crank. FAST they are!

It's not a bad bike to go two up, but some depends on your pillion partner. Short trips, no problem. 300+ miles got a little long for both riders.

These engines are bulletproof. There are many examples over 100K miles. First valve check is at 34,000 miles! Stout engines.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
I have an original R1 and I've been thinking about converting it more into a FZ1

Love the bike, but it doesn't get ridden as much as it needs.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great bike. I still have my 04 black/silver FZ1 that I purchased new. It is everything you described. I may be will to part with mine fairly cheap if you are interested. It is perfect condition and only has 8k miles. Full set of soft luggage (4 pc.) and Yamaha tank protector and cover.
PM sent.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Anyone have any experience with the generation 1 (carbureted) FZ1? Looking for input on ergonomics as well a dependability and maintenance.
I put over 50,000 miles on my 2003 Yellow/Black "Bee" before selling it earlier this year. My girlfriend's planning to sell her '05 Silver FZ next riding season. Great bikes - fast, comfortable, and fun in the twisties. Carburetors can be a bit fussy, but an Ivan's Jet Kit solves that easily. The 24K valve inspect/adjust interval is also a big plus in my book. Many owners replace the stock handlebars with Rizoma bars - they have less 'turn in' than the stock bars and are a bit more comfortable on the wrists.

The FZ1OA Forum is an excellent resource.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great article and thread. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
My 03 Suzuki Bandit 1200S was the same; awesome! I miss that 140mph hit dearly... about once a month. It was comfortable for what it was and stone reliable, but no comparison in comfort when hundreds of miles from home to the GL1800.

If I can ever afford another strictly play bike, can you say, SPEED TRIPLE ? :bow:

This is my 02 FZ1, wish I had kept it. The only reason I sold it was because I figured I needed to slow myself down before I killed myself or got one heck of a ticket. The adrenaline rush was addictive. I couldn't resist whacking the throttle and blasting by other bikes at 140+ mph. This bike had incredible suspension and rode MUCH smoother than the wing. Twisting the throttle was like an electric motor, so linear. It has the more upright seating so your neck and shoulders don't kill you. By all means if you have an opportunity to ride one, do so, you'll love it. Great bike and basically bullet proof. Oh, I see you've already ridden one, so you know what I mean. Good luck.

Tom

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
8upwbikes:

Another PM sent. Call me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts