GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been toying with the idea of picking up a used Rune, low mileage at the right price. Figure it could be a great back up bike for an occasional cruise.

Wondering if anyone out there ha had the opportunity to experience the ride and what your feedback would be?

Thanks

JC

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I demo rode one when they first came out up at Ameracade years back and all I can say Is WOW, WOW and double WOW!!!! A fun ride and handles like a dream.:thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
One of the kids has one. It's a fun ride that still gets lots of attention.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Rune

Honda of Russellville, AR had one a couple of years ago. I saw it when I stopped by there on my way west. Cool ride!

·
Registered
642 Posts
I bought one brand new back in 2004 and rode it about 1500 miles. Without a windshield it was not very enjoyable. After the windshield it became more pleasurable. People did notice it a bit more (that is bike folks) however most public didn't give it a second look when parked next to my wifes GW trike. It seems that the trikes are always the focal point!
I did have a Honda service person tell me they were a nighmare to work on, but it never needed anything.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I have a 2004 Rune along with the Wing and Valk. It is a great machine.
Rich K ( Wing,Rune, Valk, Ski )

·
Registered
181 Posts
Was in the Honda dealer here in Allen yesterday and they have one in the showroom. Never seen one up close before. Very cool bike. Considering taking it for a test ride this weekend. Did fire it up while sitting on it......sure wish my wing sounded like that! :bow:

·
Registered
740 Posts
One of the kids has one. It's a fun ride that still gets lots of attention.

So what sits next to the MX-5? I think Silver/Titanium is your color.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I had one for four years. Lots of fun, lots of looks 99% of the people that look at it don't believe it was a factory production bike. Not so good in the mountains so I sold it for a Ducati.

greg

·
Registered
611 Posts
Too bad Honda could not sell them and dropped the Rune.

A long time diehard Valkryie Fan
Or, more accurately, Honda completed the planned limited production of about 3,000 Runes for the 2004 and 2005 model years.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
So what sits next to the MX-5? I think Silver/Titanium is your color.
It's a darker (than the Titanium Wing) AWD Accura RDX (a near-requirement for the hills around here in winter). As it happened, I chose the deal on a particular unit/options, not the color.

Back on the subject of the Rune, it is one of those bikes that comes alone once in a lifetime that can really light your fire, provided you don't ask it to do what it wasn't meant for.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I've been toying with the idea of picking up a used Rune, low mileage at the right price. Figure it could be a great back up bike for an occasional cruise.

Wondering if anyone out there ha had the opportunity to experience the ride and what your feedback would be?

Thanks

JC
Stop toying and do it.... I did

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm just thinking that I have a wing that I use on the weekends at my vacation home and if I get a Rune I'd use it less than the bike I really like, so it would be sitting there collecting dust, like a lot of toys that I have.

It's definitely an impulse purchase. Still contemplating.

·
Registered
19,236 Posts
I never rode one but I like the looks. It seems to have been a production custom ride

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Never got to ride one, but Linda and I certainly drooled over them at our local Honda dealers. We were looking for a bike for her and she couldn't even lift the Rune off of the side stand. Ended up with a Pearl White 2006 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic with all of the goodies ($12,000 by the time we got done) which still has less than 3,000 miles on it (most put on by me).

·
Registered
366 Posts
Rune

Am I the only one in the world that thinks they are UGLY???:22yikes::22yikes::shrug::shrug:

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Am I the only one in the world that thinks they are UGLY???:22yikes::22yikes::shrug::shrug:
No... you're not. Don't care for the trailing link front look and certainly not the back fender... just not for me. I had a 1999 Valk, liked it very much, was the bike that convinced me that a Vtwin was not the bike to have, at least for me.

I'm sure the Rune is fun to ride, but it's styling is not for me either. But, a lot of people do like it. I think it didn't sell well because it was overpriced when it came out... $23,000 compared to the bike it was replacing, which was about $10,000 at the time. And, it did not look like it was "more" bike than the previous version.

I think if you went back to the basic design of the Valk, put the 1800 engine in it, and priced it right, it would sell.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
No... you're not. Don't care for the trailing link front look and certainly not the back fender... just not for me. I had a 1999 Valk, liked it very much, was the bike that convinced me that a Vtwin was not the bike to have, at least for me.

I'm sure the Rune is fun to ride, but it's styling is not for me either. But, a lot of people do like it. I think it didn't sell well because it was overpriced when it came out... $23,000 compared to the bike it was replacing, which was about $10,000 at the time. And, it did not look like it was "more" bike than the previous version.

I think if you went back to the basic design of the Valk, put the 1800 engine in it, and priced it right, it would sell.
Actually, the Rune was around $27,000 when it first came out.

Some like the Rune, some don't. That will never change. But, the original OP (John_coukos) asked those of us who have experience with riding the Rune for their feedback, not an opinion on the way it look or whether it was overpriced, etc.

John, you have my feedback in a PM.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts