GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

My son and I are attempting to install the on board air compressor today for the suspension adjustment from EC. The air line install went pretty well. After removing the panel with the light attached to it on the rear of the trailer, we found what we were looking for. If the carpet is pulled back a little on the left side, just below the left tail light, therre is a wire chase that exits on the bottom of the trailer, right where you need to splice the air line. You feed your new plastic air line through that chase. That was all pretty straight forward, got the air line in and spliced and it is holding pressure just fine.

Now we are attempting to wire everything up and are a little confused. The instructions say go from the red wire on the compressor to the yellow wire on the receiver - got that done ok. It says go from the black wire without a terminal on the compressor to the white on the receiver - again, got that done OK. Next it says to connect the black wire with the ring terminal to ground. That is my first sticking point. On a car, I'd just go to any bolt that connects to the frame. On a fiberglass trailer, no frame, etc... Further down the instructions give this tip: (if your trailer uses a 6 wire system, transfer the power for the interior light over to the tail lights. This gives you a dedicatd power line for the air compressor. You MUST rewire this wire on the bike directly to the battery + terminal with a 15 amp fuse). One of the wires from the light is black and one is white. Do we assume that the black wire is a ground?

The next part of the instructions say this: (Connect the wires from the remote receiver as follows: black - ground, red - 12 volts +) Do I tie the two grounds together (one from the compressor and one from the remote receiver) and hook those to the above mentioned black wire that the light was hooked to? Also, do we assume the white wire that went to the light is the 12 volt + that we need?

Ok, thank you so far. If the above is correct, I would like to ask this question: When it says that "you MUST rewire this wire on the bike directly to the battery + terminal with a 15 amp fuse" does that mean I have to tear apart my bike and seperate out the wire that originally supplied the light circut and route it to the battery seperately? That seems like I am going to have to tear the fender off the rear of my bike, get into the wiring harness there and spend a bunch of time running a new line. Whew! :twisted: Is it going to be as hard and time consuming as I think it is to tear the bike apart and do this?

I appreciate any help you can give me on this. :bow:

Bill in the U.P.

·
Registered
5,943 Posts
Bill,
To the best of my recollection, you have the first parts of the wiring correct.

To your second parts, what I did when installing the compressor on my son's trailer was simply splice the wires feeding power to the compressor and the receiver to the wire providing power to the light in the trailer. And likewise spliced the grounds needed for the compressor to the ground running to the light. The power to the light is already a separate "accessory" power feed to the trailer that seems to work just fine for the compressor also. No need to run another wire, you already have one.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, we got it hooked up. As soon as I turned on the bike key, the compressor started running and the trailer lowered. We double checked our wiring and everything seems to be as described in the instructions. I guess we are stuck until I can call EC tomorrow. It seems that the compressor shouldn't run until we use the controls on the remotes.

There are what appear to be two manual switches on wires coming from the remote receiver and a small light. The instructions didn't mention these at all. My son thought it would be best to mount these switches and light, and we did. Just seems strange that there is no mention of these in the instructions.

EDIT: Talked with EC today (Monday). What we thought were switches have something to do with resetting the remotes should they ever lose code. We are waiting to talk with Lewis later in the week to see if we can figure out what is wrong. Oh well, we have plenty of time to get this straightened out, only 3 more months to riding weather!

Bill in the U.P.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
An update: Electrical Connection has walked me through this installation. I did have to open up the rear fender area on the bike and run a new wire to the battery from my trailer plug. The trailer has a 6 wire plug and my isolator had 5 wires coming out, so this leaves one position on the plug to use for the dedicated compressor circut. In hind sight (and with the help from EC) it really wasn't that complicated. From the trailer plug to the rear of the trailer, there is one seperate circut that powers the interior light. Rather than having to run a new didicated wire all the way to the back of the trailer, EC had me switch the interior light circut to use as a dedicated circut just for the compressor. To power the interior light now, I will be using current from the tail light circut.

I don't have it done yet and I didn't take any pictures, but I'd be glad to offer help to anyone who may be doing this install in the near future.

Bill in the U.P.

·
Registered
5,943 Posts
Bill,
Glad you got everything working and that the folks at EC were as helpful as always. I've been wondering how the problem was solved. Thanks for sharing the results.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Wireing for remote compressor

I used light wire for compressor like you did. I didn't hook up the interior light because if you have a lot of stuff in the trailer the light gets blocked out. I keep a hands free headband flashlight in pocket over wheel well. Lights where Iam looking, don't have to move stuff out of the way to get light on it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts