GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Vendor
17,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Chemical's can be extremely destructive, especially to rubber. It's imperative to use proper rubber with proper chemicals.

2012 with 36k on the ODM. It's in for a 24k service, and a valve adjustment with new spark pugs.

When I remove the right engine cover, I notice that the reservoir hose that runs from the rear brake reservoir to the m/c looked swollen and sweaty. The diaphragm under the cap is the same. Any ideas what has cause this ???

Hint ... some might blame this on Honda :(

·
Registered
214 Posts
Chemical's can be extremely destructive, especially to rubber. It's imperative to use proper rubber with proper chemicals.

2012 with 36k on the ODM. It's in for a 24k service, and a valve adjustment with new spark pugs.

When I remove the right engine cover, I notice that the reservoir hose that runs from the rear brake reservoir to the m/c looked swollen and sweaty. The diaphragm under the cap is the same. Any ideas what has cause this ???

Hint ... some might blame this on Honda :(

View attachment 370089 View attachment 370090
Alright, I'll take a shot. Since it has damaged the inside of the cap it likely had to be something inside the reservoir. I'm going with incorrect DOT fluid being used? Maybe DOT 5/5.1?

·
Vendor
17,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is a new cap vs the old cap.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Anyone have a p/n for the rear inner cap (2010 Level 1 )? TIA

·
Vendor
17,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
My guess... Brake cleaner - made the rubber swell.

Reactions: GoldWingrGreg

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
If the cap is made of silicone and a silicone based brake fluid were used that would cause it.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Is the rubber SBR or EPDM? EPDM is not compatible with aromatic hydrocarbons, acids or solvents. Not sure if brake cleaner could contaminate the fluid enough to get up to the diaphragm unless it was cleaned with brake cleaner.

·
Chard Member
12,960 Posts
Top reasons it might have happened.....

1. Owner didn’t use Official Honda air in the tires
2. Owner didn’t use Official Honda bike wash
3. Owner didn’t use Official Honda oil filter
4. Owner didn’t read Official Honda manual before cleaning the seat
5. Owner didn’t read Official Honda owners manual and added incorrect fluid
6. Owner didn’t read the Official Honda owners manual and didn’t change brake fluid every 12,000 miles or two years

If DOT5 was mixed with DOT4 everything rubber in the braking system will be toast!

·
Vendor
17,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Until recently, and going back about a year, it seemed whoever packages Honda chemicals had run out of brake fluid bottles. So brake fluid was packaged in final drive oil bottles with brake fluid labels. For me extra care and attention was always required when doing brake fluid changes ... dumping rear end fluid would have been easy mistake. I was figuring someone had done just that.

However in this case, and after talking to the customer, the last time anything was done to his Wing was 4 years ago when SB-23 was done. He reports that he'd had new tires put on also, got home only to find that the back part to his front fender was all broken out. Apparently the dealer fixed that issue. So other than doing a sloppy job when installing tires, who really knows what fluid was mixed in with his brake fluid ... maybe tire mounting lube !!!

·
Registered
442 Posts
I saw a guy doing a DIY brake fluid change and while he poured directly into the front brake reservoir, he used a funnel to pour into that rear reservoir. My guess it that funnel had been used for an oil change and may not have been completely clean. A little oil in brake fluid would cause a problem.

·
Vendor
17,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I saw a guy doing a DIY brake fluid change and while he poured directly into the front brake reservoir, he used a funnel to pour into that rear reservoir. My guess it that funnel had been used for an oil change and may not have been completely clean. A little oil in brake fluid would cause a problem.
That is a possibility. In my shop, Honda brake fluid is always used. Honda bottles theirs brake fluid in a bottle with a long neck, so a funnel is never needed, and I would have never thought of that. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Read Only
853 Posts
Looks like non DOT 4 compatible brake fluid was used. DOT 5 is incompatible with 3 or 4. I use (synthetic )DOT 3 / 4 fluid in my other vehicles because synthetic has low moisture absorption, and is more heat stable.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts