GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’am sure one of you guys know the answer to this! I bought a 60” led truck tailgate light thinking it would plug into my trailer whip! Wrong!! Does anyone know how I can convert my six wire plug to automotive type plug so I can fire this thing up? Thanks any help is much appreciated!

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Can you post pictures of the two connectors types, I may be able to help but need more info.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
OK the pictures help a lot, do you have a 6 pin like in the picture still on the bike? I would need to know what function is in what pin location.
Or do you just have 6 wires cut off now?

If you still have a 6 pin connector on the bike, I could make you a jumper that would carry some of the circuits through to the 4 way. Can you share the exact part number and manufacturer of the tailgate light bar, I am curious what functions it includes, like tail, brake and turns or just tail and turns.

To go from a typical 5 or 6 wire set up on the bike to a typical 4 wire set up on a trailer you need a converter to make both the brake and turns work properly.

We are not far from each other I am just about 25 mile south of Daytona, maybe we could get together and work it out, but I pretty sure you will at least need a converter to get tail, brake, left turn and right turn functioning properly , if your bike is wired for a trailer it should already have an isolator, if not I would strongly recommend using a converter that is built into an isolator.

I build trailer harnesses for Yamahas all the time I am sure I can help you with enough info and a bit time.

Reactions: Ron Fuller

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yeah Steve thanks for the reply, like a idiot I cut the plug off and screwed up a lot of things like brake lights, cruise, did get signals to work by twisting two wires together! thinking I might have a bad plug! I believe it came on the bike ( trike 09 California side car) so now I have six wires with no plug on them, I’am thinking the two extra wires are for the amber Signal lights which car/trucks don’t have, and I could be wrong on that also! Yeah that wouldn’t be a problem to get to your place, let know what you think! Thanks Steve, Jim.. forget what I’am trying to install is the 60” led that is made for the bottom side of a truck tailgate it has all the functions, the brand is opt7, web is www.opt-7.com

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,372 Posts
Yeah Steve thanks for the reply, like a idiot I cut the plug off and screwed up a lot of things like brake lights, cruise, did get signals to work by twisting two wires together! thinking I might have a bad plug! I believe it came on the bike ( trike 09 California side car) so now I have six wires with no plug on them, I’am thinking the two extra wires are for the amber Signal lights which car/trucks don’t have, and I could be wrong on that also! Yeah that wouldn’t be a problem to get to your place, let know what you think! Thanks Steve, Jim.. forget what I’am trying to install is the 60” led that is made for the bottom side of a truck tailgate it has all the functions, the brand is opt7, web is www.opt-7.com
You should have 5 wires from the original circuits,
1 brake light
1 tail light
1 left turn
1 right turn
1 ground

·
Registered
608 Posts

CSC has a description of each wire on their website. I saw it this weekend but don't recall if it was in the trike or escapade trailer section. If you look around I'm sure you will find it.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Jim, I will PM you with my address and phone number, then we can figure out a good time to get together, Techdude is spot on with what you should have coming from the bike. I visited the opt-7 web site, their truck LED tailgate bars have tail lights, brake lights, turns and back up lights, I am not sure how they do that with a 4 pin plug, but I am sure we can figure it out.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,372 Posts
Here’s CSC’s wire assignments.

White wire, Attach to the vehicle frame (Ground)
Brown wire, Attach to the running lights or parking lights
Yellow wire, Attach to the left-hand turn signal
Green wire, Attach to the right-hand turn signal
Red wire, Attach to the brake circuit
Black wire, Attach to the accessory terminal on the motorcycle

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
OK so I just watched the install video on the OPT-7 website, they have an extra wire that is not terminated in the 4 way plug for the back up lights, so mystery solved, but Jim will definitely need a converter to go from 5 wire to 4 wire system, easy to do. I am not sure if there is someplace safe to tap into the reverse system on the GL to get power for the back up lights or to power a relay to activate the back up lights from the black wire if it is already powered up on Jim's bike. If not place to tap in, you could always put in a switch for the back up lights and turn them on manually when you need them.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rob, do you have any idea why when I cut my trailer hitch plug off it disabled my cruise? checked The fuse it’s good, hope when I put a new plug on it will come back! Thanks, Jim...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts