GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an accident earlier this week (SUV turned left in front of me, you know the deal) and it looks like my 2015 Indian Roadmaster might be a total loss. I'm ok, just my sore old man body with a few bruises (52).

I've started looking around for something different (normally a VTwin HD / Indian guy) and everything I've seen online impresses me with the new GW. I've yet to test ride one but that will be resolved in a few weeks.

I see a lot of HD riders talking about the switch, but no Indian Roadmaster guys / gals.

Pros / Cons when comparing it to the Indian?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,766 Posts
Welcome to the board! If you are thinking about a Goldwing, or any other bike, go test ride them and see if you like them and buy it. Your money, your bike, you're the only one that matters. JMHO.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I've owned over 30 different bikes in my lifetime, and I understand the final decision is of course my own, but there will be differences in the two bikes that cannot be found on a short 2 mile test ride and i was hoping to get some opinions from other prior Indian owners. Unfortunately the closest Eagle Rider that has one available to rent for the weekend to do a decent test ride is over 1,500 miles away.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I didn't own an Indian , I rented a roadmaster , rode hd ultras for years until I got the death shake and was almost killed. Bought an 18 GW tour DCT. Absolutely love this bike, every time I ride it I just can't believe I rode that sub standard hd garbage. Most amazing bike I've ever been on.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have both, the Indian is great to ride in winter or cooler months. The wing is a all weather bike for sure. Love my Indian... But the wing is definitely more comfortable and cooler to ride in our Texas heat.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Could not resist a used 2018 goldwing from a widow. They are two totally different experiences. The rumble of a v-twin vs the smoothness of a six cylinder. The RDL seat and floor boards makes the Roadmaster very roomy and comfortable. A little more storage. As mentioned the summer heat can get intense when stopped from an air-cooled engine. I think the RM 'infocenter' is hard to beat. You can customize your displays to just about anything. I wish the goldwing had a voltage display. I always liked the design of Indians, like riding a piece of art. It will be hard for me to sell my Indian, but I think the GW handles a little bit better.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Had 6 Goldwings and my 18 is best especially with dct.
Never been much of Harley guy imho overpriced and over rated.
Test drove Indian and liked it but was underpowered and hot compared to Goldwing.

If I ever bought an air cooled v twin it would be an Indian, but not getting rid of my wing.

I am looking at Indian Scout for significant other though

Just my thoughts for what they are worth

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Had a 2016 Roadmaster and a Victory before that. The Indian was a fair amount nicer than the Vic, but very similar. Liked them both well enough until I got tired of each, which I'm prone to do. I thought about the GW for a long time until a used '17 Harley Ultra came a long for the right price. I'd lately wanted to try a Rushmore model and feel the best HD could do. Only owned it for three months. As a Harley, it performed just fine. It was quite a bit cooler than the Indian, handled OK, had good power and brakes.

The Goldwing is from another planet compared to ALL those Vtwins. The only things the American machines had on the Honda is V-twin sound and storage, at the price of being quite a bit heavier. Getting off the Harley onto the Honda was like jumping off a John Deere and into a Miata. Truth. Call me if you want to talk more.

Joe
408-316-7205

·
Registered
61 Posts
See your in Phoenix Upgrade. I had a 17 Roadmaster for 34,000 miles. As previously stated the wing is a much
cooler riding bike especially in warm climates. I'm in sierra Vista, AZ. I'm not an Indian hater by any means but this new wing
is quite the contrast. Go ride one and see for yourself. I have the DCT tour model and never looked back.

·
Registered
13 Posts
For 2, years and 36,000 miles I loved the Roadmaster, hated the heat and engine noise. Bought the DCT 28 wing and have a love/hate relationship with it too. No bike is going to be perfect. Love the DCT transmission, love the quietness and zero heat soak to the rider, love the handling/maneuverability. Hate the lack of passenger seat room, am disappointed about seat comfort, miss the decent sized trunk and bad space, am surprised Honda’s dash display and control isn’t near as good as Indian’s. But I have found I can make more miles in a day on the GW than on the Indian ... not everybody wants to talk to you about your bike every you stop somewhere, holding you up. I kinda miss that a little bit but I do like not having to jibber jabber all the time and get to ride more, for me.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
It's not so much Indian / HD vs GW, it's "Vtwin" vs GW... once I road a Valk years ago, I left the Vtwin scene with the Valk and then the GW. I love an in-line 4 as well, having a CBR 1000 RR and CB1100. To ride a Vtwin, folks typically like the sound, style, looks of the bike. I, like many here, have found 4 or 6 cylinder engines more to our liking ... I suspect essentially everyone who switched from a Vtwin to a GW did it for the engine more than anything.

·
Registered
807 Posts
30k on a 2017 RM & 8k on my '18 Wing. RM much easier to ride around town. Has SO much more low-end tq . . . just let out the clutch & you're on your way. Do that on my Wing and it goes . . . dead. RM not too hot IF you gut the cat and add a tuner but still hotter than the Wing. Seat on both sucks IMO. At hwy speeds it's the Wing hands down. Handling in the twisties is the Wing again . . . no contest. Cockpit on the Wing is cramped and confining vs a lot of movement room on the RM. The NAV system again there's no comparison. The RM is state-of-the-art - the Wing is still in the 1990's and I suspect the processer is a left-over from an old Pacman machine . . . S L O W!!
Really hard to compare because the bikes are so different. But both are excellent for what they are; just depends on what you're looking for.
Just my 2¢'s worth.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
30k on a 2017 RM & 8k on my '18 Wing. RM much easier to ride around town. Has SO much more low-end tq . . . just let out the clutch & you're on your way. Do that on my Wing and it goes . . . dead. RM not too hot IF you gut the cat and add a tuner but still hotter than the Wing. Seat on both sucks IMO. At hwy speeds it's the Wing hands down. Handling in the twisties is the Wing again . . . no contest. Cockpit on the Wing is cramped and confining vs a lot of movement room on the RM. The NAV system again there's no comparison. The RM is state-of-the-art - the Wing is still in the 1990's and I suspect the processer is a left-over from an old Pacman machine . . . S L O W!!
Really hard to compare because the bikes are so different. But both are excellent for what they are; just depends on what you're looking for.
Just my 2¢'s worth.
Your the one with the bikes, but all the information I have seen and read shows the GW with more low end torque than the Indian. The Wing has over 108 ft lbs of torque below 1000 RPMS. Like all the V-twins I have ridden, just off idle they seem to feel strong because of the large pistons and flywheel spinning. But within a fraction a second that's gone and so is the torque. I have sat on a couple RM's and taken them off the side stand, they feel like they weigh 10,000s pound compared to doing the same with the Wing. After many many bikes in 52 years ridden tells me the RM will not be fun for me around town. This has been my experience so far.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts