GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I stated in an earlier post I have a 2003 GL1800A waiting for me to pick up at the dealer before the end of the month. Dealer ordered this for me and I saved $3000 off list of an 04. It is not in frame recall range and they just put chip in for ECM change.
Now in lieu of all the posts regarding frame cracks and overheating issues maybe I should pay the extra and spring for the 04? Are there any known problems or likely to be with the 04 model?
I just retired & the wife and I were looking forward to
some long trips this summer. First trip - Blue Ridge Pkwy.

I am not a risk taker and have little tolerance for problems. Never had any with my VTX so Honda seemed like a good choice for a tourer.

·
Registered
823 Posts
When the first frame issue came up I traded my 02 for a 04. I'm not sure that anything would have ever gone wrong with the 02 but I just didn't feel right about it anymore. The 04 is great and I like the color better than the 02 I had.

Here's what I really think about your situation.......how much is the 03 and how much is the 04? I paid $16,000.00 for my 04 non abs, if you are paying more than that you are getting ripped off.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SL_1800 said:
When the first frame issue came up I traded my 02 for a 04. I'm not sure that anything would have ever gone wrong with the 02 but I just didn't feel right about it anymore. The 04 is great and I like the color better than the 02 I had.

Here's what I really think about your situation.......how much is the 03 and how much is the 04? I paid $16,000.00 for my 04 non abs, if you are paying more than that you are getting ripped off.
Thanks for reply Steve. 04 ABS is 17900 and 03 ABS is 16400. Dealer is about 18 miles from me and next closest dealer is about 100 miles (their price is more).

·
Registered
441 Posts
I've had my '04 since Oct and only have about 2300mi on it so far. I have had no problems at all with it. No cracks (weld or frame), no overheating, nothing.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,753 Posts
Forrest
I have a 03 Wing non ABS that I paid 14700 for in Nov of 02. My bike has been nearly problem free with just a few very minor glitches that I fix myself. Haven't had a real problem with this machine. My bike had the frame recall work done. The recall work came out just fine. I just checked my frame in the new area and it's fine.

I love my Wing and it's the best motorcycle I've ever had. After 7200 miles I'm still amazed with it's handling, braking and overall performance. I love this bike. It's given me nothing but pleasure with every ride and most rides always seem way to short.It's that kind of machine. I'm always looking forward to riding it again, even in rain or 35 degree weather if need be. This bike is just so fun to ride. It's a amazing machine. I want to be a Wing rider for the rest of my riding life.

That said...... I'm sorry to say that with this new frame issue, I wouldn't buy a Wing right now. I know Honda will take care of Wing owners if the frame cracks. I think, if this new frame issue becomes wide spread, Honda will be forced to replace everyones frame with a updated frame...a frame that maybe has thicker frame tubes in the affected area.... I don't know but something will have to be done for sure. Honda will make good on it I have no doubt. I hope Honda doesn't prove me wrong on that.

All of us here are going have to deal with a frame issue again if it does indeed turn into a issue. I'm just so tired of having to think about the frame issue as is everyone.
Do you want to spend your money and get involved with this issue? If I had to do it over again I wouldn't want to spend my money and have to deal with this issue. It really pains me to say that I wouldn't buy a Wing, because I really love my Wing. I am a Wing Rider.... It's just at this time, I couldn't in good consciences recommend to anyone to buy this bike in light of what's happening with the frame at this time. I just feeling really sick about this whole issue right now. But you haven't spend your money yet. Maybe you should wait and see what develops in the next few months before you do.
Good luck with what ever you do.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Thanks for reply Steve. 04 ABS is 17900 and 03 ABS is 16400. Dealer is about 18 miles from me and next closest dealer is about 100 miles (their price is more).[/quote]

Uh, Forrest...I picked my 03 ABS up at the end of Aug. My out the door price from a local dealer was 15,900 +TT&L...so there is more negotiating room if you want to play a little hardball with the dealer.

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
We bought our 2004 in sept 2003. about 5500 miles on it.

Zero trouble with the wing.

The only thing that bothers me is I don't have the time to ride it like I want. Since I am a working class 50 yr old , I guess I will have to deal with that.... ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
04 wing price

just bought my 04 titaium in ny for 15,800, could of had 04 magenta in laconia for 16,800,dealer down south was ofering some 03 s for the 13,200 ,i think your going to see a lot of o3s cheap,dealer i bought my bike from ,said this is the last 04 he can get honda going to push a bunch of 03s at him at a discount to make them gone ,he said he could get me any 03 color i whated

steve
vermont

·
Registered
182 Posts
had i known in Apr. 03 what i know now,i would not have bought an 1800, would still be rideing my 1500 CSC, Now have an 1800 CSC, in VIN. recall range, but i must be liveing right,'cause for over 5k now, been trouble free. good thing,'cuase MO ain't gonna do anything 'bout it.hind sight 20/20. cuad,woda,shoda bought later 1500 to trike. 1500 had plenty of git-go for this 71 yr. old.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts