GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question for a LEO from NY state, state or local, either would be fine, also the more the better. Thanks.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Not from NY, but from Fla., greetings from the sunshine state... :cop2:

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I.M. Winginit, thanks but I just have a question on the NY CCW laws
.....TNace I PM'd you. Thanks

·
Registered
8,095 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Packing.org

I gave him the same site John. There are several others out there too. This has been discussed here several times before. The question was about legal ramifications for a permit holder from Pennsylvania carrying in NY. The short answer is, you would be commiting a criminal offense, Criminal Possesion of a Weapon and if caught it could make life miserable. Obviously there are exceptions/exemptions but the short story is NY does not honor Pa's CCP and vice versa. Not trying to talk out of turn ElBando but like I said, alot have asked this kind of question and for the new guys here, hopefully this helps. Besides the link above and other sites out there you can also search this site, the subject has been subject of some lengthy threads, some are even interesting to read. :)

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
Being a former cop, although only for a year some 20+ years ago, I travel under the assumption (wrong or right) that as long as I'm behaving myself, except for perhaps some traffic violation, and could prove I have a carry permit from Georgia, I'd probably get cut some slack.

To me, it's worth the risk to keep from becoming a victim or to keep some slimbag from claiming another, in my presence.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
trialsman said:
Being a former cop, although only for a year some 20+ years ago, I travel under the assumption (wrong or right) that as long as I'm behaving myself, except for perhaps some traffic violation, and could prove I have a carry permit from Georgia, I'd probably get cut some slack.
Keep Dreaming!!! :roll:

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I almost got locked up on the New York state thruway when a NY State trooper stopped me for speeding. I was a LEO in Ohio on my way to Vermont for a ski trip. He was nice enough to let me off on the speed but told me to "disassemble" the weapon. and made me do it right in front of him. Luckily It was an easy task. This was back in about 1992.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Let me rephrase my original post topic. Has anyone here experienced any stops by LEOs while traveling as a non resident where the LEO wasn't familiar with the Firearms Transportation Act of 1986. I know which states honor other states CCW by studying " packing.org ". Just want to know if anyone was hassled while transporting a firearm in their trunk.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Print out the laws and carry them with you if you feel the need. You'll definately have to have the weapon in the trunk and locked in a case I would presume with mag/bullets seperate from the gun. Federal law does state you can carry across state lines providing it's done correctly. What about gun owners who move from one state to another. Do you think they would put there fire arms in the moving truck, I know, I wouldn't, they'd be with me in my truck in the tool box.

BTW I'm not LEO just a law abiding gun owner. 8)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts