GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it is in August and it is only March (and snowing/sleeting as I type this) but I was wondering if anyone local is thinking of taking the trek...

I have always wanted to ride "cross country" and there is (from what I see on tv) great riding etc...

I am not a big drinker and wouldn't spend too much time in the bars but would like to see the sights/bikes and of course people watch...and ride!!! I would be doing this on the cheap, as much as possible: probably camping, unless someone who has better arrangments is looking for a riding partner (obviously I would help the with $) ... The ride is the most important part for me. I am just putting it out there...

I figure 2-3 days to get there a few days there and a few back (possibly a two week deal round trip.)

·
Registered
232 Posts
If the big loud crowd is what you seek go for it but you my be to late to make any reservations ,but you could find a place to pop a tent, and doing on the cheap well it is not cheap up there that time of year,If you do not drink,{i do not,and don't go too many bars}But I like to people watch:shock:, like my grandma would say "you see some sights when you don't have a gun" It is a lot of fun, As far has the ride the place is Grate, The Black Hills has some very cool roads. If you go up there in June or Sept. there is less people all though, there is still a lot to do in Aug.some good MX and flat track racing and hill climbs going on. I lived in Rapid City as a kid and we stayed a way from there that week,my dad would all but lock up my older sisters, this was back in 1960 to 1973.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
I know it is in August and it is only March (and snowing/sleeting as I type this) but I was wondering if anyone local is thinking of taking the trek...

I have always wanted to ride "cross country" and there is (from what I see on tv) great riding etc...

I am not a big drinker and wouldn't spend too much time in the bars but would like to see the sights...and ride. I would be doing this on the cheap (as much as possible) probably camping... The ride is the most important part for me. Just putting it out there...

I would like to go to Americade as well but I hear it is ALWAYS raining...much like Laconia. Ben there/done that. I am sure I would get wet going there as well but it is much later in the year.
Since Americade is so close can't you go for a day when it is not raining? I have gone since it started and now being retired I just go when it is not raining. If you go at the beginning of the week no reservations are needed. Plenty of vacancies right downtown. I went to Sturgis last year. Just stayed for 2 days since I have ridden out that way before. I hooked up with a guy from NY and split the costs. Took 5 days out from my house but I came back in 2 days. I was riding alone on the way back. I'm sitting here watching the dang snow. I have an appointment for 4/12 to have my bike worked on about 2-2/12 hours from my house. Hope the roads are all clear and dry by then.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I plan to go to Americade IF the weather looks good. I know its a good way off for either event but I figure I would put it out there. It is good to know that accomodations are to not too hard to find early on at the 'cade.

If I do go out west I would like to get there in 2 -3 days...

People watching is my FAVORITE hobby...and I heard a rumor that there are topless (sort of) women who "occasionally" show up!

·
Registered
232 Posts
"People watching is my FAVORITE hobby...and I heard a rumor that there are topless (sort of) women who "occasionally" show up!"

Now that would be a story in it's self:biggrin:

·
Registered
492 Posts
I rode out to Sturgis from NE MA a few years ago. The best bet for last minute camping is in peoples yards. Many people rent out camping spots in their yards. I may be getting laid off this spring and if I do I might be interested in making the trip but I cant make a commitment right now.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is getting a little closer...I still have not found anyone who is "man enough" to ride that far. I am still wanting to go...

·
Banned
2,290 Posts
I plan to go to Americade IF the weather looks good. I know its a good way off for either event but I figure I would put it out there. It is good to know that accomodations are to not too hard to find early on at the 'cade.

If I do go out west I would like to get there in 2 -3 days...

People watching is my FAVORITE hobby...and I heard a rumor that there are topless (sort of) women who "occasionally" show up!
2or 3 days to Sturgis is easily doable sir..I have made it to Albuquerque NM from Md in 2 .5 days pulling a loaded cargo trailer

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
As I stated in an earlier post, I did Sturgis last August for the rally. I made it back home in 2 days. First day was 1,026 and second was 1,100 something. If you go in anything less than 4 days you will need to ride the slab most of the way. Once out west the secondary roads are as fast as the slab if you are not afraid of breaking the speed limit. I probably averaged over 75 mph and allot of it just below 85. So not for the faint hearted. Sturgis was on my bucket list but a rally is a rally. Allot of bikes and vendors. I do not do the bars and only spent 1 1/2 days in Sturgis. I did stop at the bar outside of town which is on tv but I am having a mental block and cannot remember the name at the moment. OOPS just remembered Full Throttle saloon. I did not even go inside since they wanted $10. Just went into their tent to buy some T's. I think I did myself a disservice by not staying longer and riding the black hills. But I did that with the wife in '93 and saw the sites but should have done that again. I am contemplating going this year but the wife probably would not want me to go. I know, hen pecked. But we have been married 44 years now and being flexible is probably why.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As I stated in an earlier post, I did Sturgis last August for the rally. I made it back home in 2 days. First day was 1,026 and second was 1,100 something. If you go in anything less than 4 days you will need to ride the slab most of the way. Once out west the secondary roads are as fast as the slab if you are not afraid of breaking the speed limit. I probably averaged over 75 mph and allot of it just below 85. So not for the faint hearted. Sturgis was on my bucket list but a rally is a rally. Allot of bikes and vendors. I do not do the bars and only spent 1 1/2 days in Sturgis. I did stop at the bar outside of town which is on tv but I am having a mental block and cannot remember the name at the moment. OOPS just remembered Full Throttle saloon. I did not even go inside since they wanted $10. Just went into their tent to buy some T's. I think I did myself a disservice by not staying longer and riding the black hills. But I did that with the wife in '93 and saw the sites but should have done that again. I am contemplating going this year but the wife probably would not want me to go. I know, hen pecked. But we have been married 44 years now and being flexible is probably why.
Thats why you need to go back so we can ride the black hills together...I need a guide. Just leave the wife home like I am going to!!! :shock:

·
Registered
492 Posts
Thats why you need to go back so we can ride the black hills together...I need a guide. Just leave the wife home like I am going to!!! :shock:
If you want to see the Black Hills do yourself a favor and go at some other time. During bike week you will be riding the Black Hills at 10 mph with 1 million other riders. Been there done that.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you want to see the Black Hills do yourself a favor and go at some other time. During bike week you will be riding the Black Hills at 10 mph with 1 million other riders. Been there done that.
You are probably right about that...BUT I have never been so I need to learn the hard way. But I know you want to go back....:lol:

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We are getting closer...anyone change their minds? :popcorn:

·
Banned
2,290 Posts
What is your departure date and how long there?

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I haven't really got any distinct plans as of yet. At this point just trying to see if anyone is going. My original post states how I plan to do the entire trip... If no one is looking to go then I will be flyin solo... :roll:

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As far as reservations go...I assume those jumbo camping grounds that are out there (from what I have read) have "spots" for small tents for ride ins without a reservation. If that is not the case then I guess I won't be camping?!?!
This is what I was planning to do once I got there (they do have mega bathroom/shower facilities from what I have seen...please someone correct me if I am wrong...
image.jpg

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
....I have NEVER trailered the Wing and can't believe I am even thinking of it since for almost 50 years I have said "If I cannot ride, I will not go". But if the KOA is CHEAP compared to 300-400 hotel rooms, I could see doing it. Just have to convince the wife to see if she could live without me for 2 weeks. Here is what I have http://www.rvguide.com/specs/forest-river/toy-hauler/2008/work-and-play/20lk.html
Man that is a nice rig...but even if it is mostly highways part of the reason I want to go is to ride my bike. But I bet that is MUCH more comfy than my tent! I bet it has ac as well! The wife would probably be glad to have a vacation!

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Man that is a nice rig...but even if it is mostly highways part of the reason I want to go is to ride my bike. But I bet that is MUCH more comfy than my tent! I bet it has ac as well! The wife would probably be glad to have a vacation!
After some thought I figured it would cost as much to trailer out as it would to get a room someplace. I figure 10 miles to the gallon if I was lucky and it is a 2,200 mile trip all slab. I even enjoy riding the slab. Must be a little crazy.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
After some thought I figured it would cost as much to trailer out as it would to get a room someplace. I figure 10 miles to the gallon if I was lucky and it is a 2,200 mile trip all slab. I even enjoy riding the slab. Must be a little crazy.
Goldwings are for riding not trailering...
Well are you going??? I need someone to "help me bust my sturgis cherry!" :tongue:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts