GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as a retiree, active , or reserve, we have the benefit of using base facilities any where any time provided the gates are open. i have camped on base in Key West fla several times for $12 a night. Key west also has BOQ room @ 30 a night, town houses @ appx $100 or so, and also trailers for $60 or so. All are secure behind the gate. I've also stayed at MacDeal AFB in Tampa. Rooms are $35 and the one time i Camped was $6 but that was many years ago. I know there are other bases with fine facilites besides these two. I've never used the facilities at NAS mayport but I see them regularly. the campground is on the water and is set up for rv's but there is a small tent section that is shaded. The navy lodge is ocean front too at $85 a night which sounds high, but compare it to $250 a night a mile down the beach and it's not bad. Newport RI has a small base...just wondering if they have like facilities? Surely there are others that might know of something.

·
Registered
7,375 Posts
try this

Short answer is yes, Newport has some facilities. The Navy's Senior Enlisted Academy is there, as well as the War College, etc. There are several guides available, here is one, registration is free and you can download a pdf file of the handbook.

http://www.militaryhandbooks.com/?page_id=98

This one has no registration requirements:

http://benefits.military.com/misc/installations/Landing_Page.jsp

Here's for Newport specifically:

http://benefits.military.com/misc/installations/Base_Content.jsp?id=4180

Happy Camping. Do be aware due to changes in enlisted off-base housing requirements, many of the military lodges must now be utilized by a service member if the barracks are full. This has resulted in both the lodges having less rooms available, and the rates going up enough to where oftentimes you can get a local hotel through Priceline for much less - especially in the San Diego and Norfolk areas.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Yep...:agree:

·
Registered
453 Posts
LRAFB in AR has a nice area, located by a small lake looked clean and good looking facilities, don't know the cost.

·
Registered
97 Posts
DoD Civil Service Retired have the same privledges.

It's been my experience that almost every military installation has a Camp/recreation area of some sort.

They also have their Visiting Officer Quarters available on an as-avaliable bassis. These are always nice and usually around $25 to $35 per night. They are available on priority,
1. Visiting VIP
2. Visiting Officer/Airman on official business (TDY)
3. Active duty in transit and on vacation
4. Retired on vacation

Only problem with the VOQ is that many places will not take a reservation. Call ahead and find out before ariving or be prepared to go elsewhere for the night.

Another thing while I'm about it...

I stopped at a AF Reserve base a while back and they wouldn't let me on base because they said I had to have proof I had taken the MSF training to get on base. Don't know if that is a local thing or not.:shrug:

·
Banned
1,855 Posts
Being retired mlitary, I always stay on the bases when one is available. Not only is it a good deal, but I enjoy being in the company of patriots.

·
Registered
994 Posts
MSF Cert

Which is exactly why I carry a well-worn copy of mine. Some bases are more anal about it than others. Hot button item...
I've also had to add more 'color' and reflective to my body to get on some places. And don't even think of getting on without long pants, ankle high shoes/boots, long sleeves, gloves and a partridge-in-a-pear-tree. The helmet goes without saying...
While ATGATT is a good idea, DoD has gotten carried away with it. All the result of slick-sleeve GI's killing themselves on Crotch Rockets. I've watched many stop just outside the gate, dress up, then proceed to the gate and on to their work area. Opposite at quiting time--pull off just outside the gate, strip to their Superman Under-Roos and take off into the wild blue... YMMV:thumbup:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Which is exactly why I carry a well-worn copy of mine. Some bases are more anal about it than others. Hot button item...
I've also had to add more 'color' and reflective to my body to get on some places. And don't even think of getting on without long pants, ankle high shoes/boots, long sleeves, gloves and a partridge-in-a-pear-tree. The helmet goes without saying...
While ATGATT is a good idea, DoD has gotten carried away with it. All the result of slick-sleeve GI's killing themselves on Crotch Rockets. I've watched many stop just outside the gate, dress up, then proceed to the gate and on to their work area. Opposite at quiting time--pull off just outside the gate, strip to their Superman Under-Roos and take off into the wild blue... YMMV:thumbup:
I keep mine in the ziplock with the registration and insurance, because I have never been to an Army post that didn't expect to see it if you didn't already have the decals. Agreed, they are anal because of the adrenaline junkies on their crotch rockets.

I called a buck LT on the helmetless riding one day when I was a 1SG. He just didn't get it. I asked him what he would do to a private who got in an accident without a helmet. He said he would make sure he got a line-of -duty "NO". I asked him how he was supposed to train that private to wear his helmet when his LT wouldn't wear his own. He shut up and I never saw him without a helmet again. It's not a matter of ATGATT for the military, it's about following the regulations. Entering that installation makes you subject to those same regulations. Don't like it? Stay outside the fence.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
they navy requires you to carry your msf card same as a drivers license. but i have never been asked to show it except for issue of a base decal. also if the squids are not wearing prescribed safety gear while riding at all time, they are in violation of ucmj. they will not be covered in an accident.

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
MSF Cert

I laminated mine and carry it 24/7

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
NAS Mayport florida has VOQ rooms at $48 a night on the ocean.

make reservations at www.dodlodging.net or 1-877-628-9233

1 - 12 of 12 Posts