GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone come up with a better way to release the helmet locks from the inside trunk levers when you have the bike loaded for travel ? Every time I've gone out of town with the bag in the trunk and the luggage rack loaded I lock the helmets on the hooks and then realize I have to unload the rack and dig in the back of the trunk for the release. I know I could use a bicycle cable with the helmets on the seat. Thought maybe someone has figured a mod to access the release from the outside? Preferably hidden.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks murgie. I dug in the archives for a while and just found a lot of stuff about the levers breaking or popping off. It would have been idea if Honda would have put the helmet latches on the remote instead of the trunk latch which happens to be useless to me.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wonderful Larry! That looks slick. I was thinking more something manual but that looks pretty easy to rig.

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Try not locking them, just open them and put them over the hook without closing lock. I have never seen or heard of one stolen from the helmet locks, only Goldwing owners know how to operate them. I hang my helmet all the time, mine don't even have the loop on them to hang.

·
Registered
211 Posts
These are great ideas! Now that most of our helmets cost $300- up it concerns me that someone could steal your helmet if it's not locked up. I believe that a person could rig a push pull cable for a mechanical set up. I myself never carry the fob even though it came with my 08. I may have to look into a choke cable ( if any parts men can remember what it is) to rig a mechanical way to open the helmet latches! This is a great Forum with many great minds! Thank you all:thumbup:
Bill

·
Vendor
21,893 Posts
There was a guy on here from California several years back that made an electric solenoid device you could connect in the trunk that would allow you to release the helmet holder by simply pushing on the Trunk Open button on the key fob. I have a set, and they worked real well. Not sure if he still makes them.

·
Registered
7,932 Posts
Ted in ncal

The above gentleman is the person who was making the solenoid release system for the helmet latch hooks.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
These are great ideas! Now that most of our helmets cost $300- up it concerns me that someone could steal your helmet if it's not locked up. I believe that a person could rig a push pull cable for a mechanical set up. I myself never carry the fob even though it came with my 08. I may have to look into a choke cable ( if any parts men can remember what it is) to rig a mechanical way to open the helmet latches! This is a great Forum with many great minds! Thank you all:thumbup:
Bill
A cable hooked to the side saddle bag levers would be sweet too. That way when you opened the sides the helmet latches would pop too.

·
Registered
7,932 Posts
Lots of good ideas and I must say Honda sure missed the boat on this one. I guess they figured nobody filled up their trunk when touring. :roll:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts