GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
4,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been looking for a user-friendly intuitive route planner so that I can make my own route on my PC and download it to my Garmin Zumo 595LM. I don’t want or need anything fancy and I don’t want it to pick my route. I just want to get turn-by-turn directions from start to finish, following the various waypoints that I use to force it to choose my preferred route.

I quickly found that I’m not smart enough for routing programs like Basecamp, even with the help of the New England Riders tutorials. I hear good things about the simplicity of MyRouteApp so I thought I’d give it a try. It sounded simple enough that even a self-professed Fred Flintstone could use it.

Route lab (myrouteapp.com)

Looks very simple and intuitive. Navigate to the desired designation by using waypoints to force the route, save it as a GPX file, and export it to the Zumo. Great. Now, go to the Zumo, select the file, and hit “GO”. The map on the Zumo screen shows my intended route from start to finish, just as I selected it on the PC. The Zumo then successfully directs me to my first waypoint. However, after getting to that first waypoint, it then wants to skip all the other waypoints and takes me to my final destination. The screen still shows my designated route, but it skips all the stuff in between.

The test I just made had the intersection a couple of miles from my house as my first waypoint. I then set several more waypoints along a 30-mile test route, and then put my final waypoint back near my home. It let me to the first stop, then took me home.

I have tried following the instructions step-by-step but I must be leaving something out. Any ideas?

Glen

·
Administrator
4,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I answered my own question. While going back through the instructions and digging about on the site, I found a file of tutorial videos, one of which was specific to exporting the GPS files to a Garmin 595LM. I watched the video, then went out to the bike and gps to follow the new-found instructions. I just now returned from a 45-minute test ride following the turn-by-turn instructions. It works like a champ.

It would have been helpful if the instructions had said something about going into APPs, and converting the downloaded trip into tracks before reconverting to a trip. Oh well, I guess that was intuitive to everybody but me.

I’ll play with this MyRouteApp, but so far it looks like it will do what I want.

Still Fred Flintstone but happy now.

Reactions: jlbc212 and CAWing

·
Administrator
5,679 Posts
Fred. I've used Honda Trip Planner for our trip up to Ak. & back down without a hiccup. Of course that was several years ago, maybe things have changed. But if I can do it, anyone can do it...

·
Administrator
4,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fred. I've used Honda Trip Planner for our trip up to Ak. & back down without a hiccup. Of course that was several years ago, maybe things have changed. But if I can do it, anyone can do it...
Barney, the chatter on the forum says that the Honda trip planner is defunct, as they might be moving it to Rever. Below is just one of the threads that say the HTP is no longer working. I didn't try it but that is what I read on several threads. Have you used it lately?

Honda Trip Planner Import of GPX files? | GL1800Riders Forums

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Barney, the chatter on the forum says that the Honda trip planner is defunct, as they might be moving it to Rever. Below is just one of the threads that say the HTP is no longer working. I didn't try it but that is what I read on several threads. Have you used it lately?

I just tired it. Still working but just as clunky as before.Great if you only want point A-b, but impossible to change a route by dragging it to another point. Honda help file says to click on the blue line and drag to a new point. That hasn't worked since day 1.
I still use Mapsource on my Zumo 660. Garmin no longer supports it but it sees all the new maps when I load an update.
That was one of the best mapping programs there was.

·
Administrator
5,679 Posts
Have to agree with cihilb. I just plotted a 2K mile trip, then tried to alter it. It's doable, but a royal pain..... But for the febble-minded ones like me, who have more time than money, you can muddy your way through it.

Just may have to download this MyRouteApp thingy.......

·
IronMan
19,357 Posts
CHECK OUT DETECHT APP

·
Registered
38 Posts

HTP doesn't seem dead just yet. I'm in the midst of planning a trip from the Midwest to the east coast using HTP and it works just fine. I don' know whether it will work with your Zumo but I used Harley Davidson Ride planner to lay out a trip to AK and back and it was bulletproof.

·
Administrator
4,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
  • Quick question about “auto-recalculation” in a GPS. All this time I had assumed that this was built-in, but it turns out that we have the option of recalculating or not. Why!!

• The instruction video I mentioned above said to be sure to go into the settings menu and turn off the auto-recalculation option. It didn’t say why, or give any explanation, but I followed instructions.

• Sure enough I found that if you miss a turn it won’t tell you that you are off route, or offer any warnings. The screen just shows “Continue to XXXX Road”.

• I will make a short test route and play with it to develop a work-around and see what happens if I leave the auto- recalculate on, but I thought I’d ask here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts