GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I prefer to ride solo most of the time. Would a CB get any use if I were just out riding by myself and had it on or is it mainly for riding with another bike with CB?

Bill

·
Banned
350 Posts
You are going to get many opinions so I will start the ride...

CB's can be useful for knowing where the local speed tax collectors are lurking. Truck drivers tend to know this stuff and chat about it a lot.

I cannot tolerate the interuption in the music so I leave mine off on solo trips and on CH 15 when riding with my brother.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I don't have one on my 1800, but used it alot on the 1500. I think that the type of riding that you do influences this decision. If you run interstates and prefer to find alternate routing rather than sit in traffic jams, then it is worth having. As I age, I tend to avoid the super slab and ride for the experience, rather than race to my destination. It wouldn't get the use today that it would have a few years back. I guess to each his own....

ps:don't forget that they have amazingly "short" range

·
Registered
8,167 Posts
Quote: I cannot tolerate the interuption in the music so I leave mine off on solo trips

I'll second that. I ride solo also and when I had my GL 1500 I had the CB. I think I used it twice in 80,000 mi. Opted not to install one on my 1800 and don't regret it.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Didn't have a CB until I started group riding. Even now, when riding solo, I leave it off.

A lot of places that I go, especially north of the border into the Northwest Territories, Northern Alberta and BC, the Yukon and Alaska, the truckers all seem to use satellite - no CB.

·
Registered
233 Posts
If I ride with someone else the CB is great just to communicate it is time to stop or for emergency info.

If I am alone I do not turn it on.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I bought the CB because my riding partner has one on his GL1800. We can't hardly ride without them anymore. I did a solo trip to Kansas City a couple of weeks ago, and thought I would not use the CB, but it came in handy a couple of times when I hit some construction and the truckers were talking about which lane to be in, etc. If I'm on a 2-lane road and trying to pass a big truck, I'll let them know I'm coming around as well. When I come into big cities I'll turn it on about 10-15 miles out and listen for any reports of traffic problems. Heck, when I'm truely bored with what's on the radio, and I've listend to my MP3 player enough, I'll just turn it on and listen to them yack.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I seldom ride in a group, and normally go between local stations and the iPod. Never had a CB

However...

The very few times I've wished I *did* have a CB have been when the road turned into a parking lot. It would be good to be able to talk to the trucks and find out what's up & where & to talk alternate routes.

But that's been three times n 79K.

Pax,
MMe
would install a CB if it were given to him, but can't see spending the money

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
BillsGW said:
...Any need for CB if ride solo?
Depends completely on your definition of need.

I ride with Winger's that use the CB constantly and other groups that use just hand signals.

But when riding solo, almost always with the CB turned off...sometimes off when riding with especially chatty groups.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Riding solo I went for almost 10 years without a CB and never missed it. Joined a couple of Goldwing groups and started riding in groups and found a CB to be essential in that environment. When riding alone, it is very rarely turned on.

Carl

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks. No CB for Bill. Appreciate the replys. This winter will wire in a bluetooth phone and leave it at that (probably cheaper too :lol: )

Bill

1 - 11 of 11 Posts