GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of getting the Hannigan trike kit installed on my 08 which should be at the dealers around Wednesday. Just researching my options.

Thanks in advance for your input and comments.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
I would think that if the kit is to arrive day after tomorrow it would be a little late to change your mind. ;)

The Hannigan is a good and nicely built kit. The ride is said to be one of the finest. :yes1:

·
Registered
373 Posts
We love our Hannigan trike. Very smooth ride. We ride many miles in a day and Peanut loves to ride on it as well. We are very happy with it.
Dozerman :cool:

·
Registered
707 Posts
I'm very pleased with my Hannigan. It is a great ride. If I had it to do all over again, it would be a Hannigan.

The best advice is to ride as many brands as you can and then pick the one that you like the most. Whatever you do, be sure you have a highly experienced, proven and respected dealer build your trike.

Whatever brand you go with, you will love owning and riding a trike.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hannigan

I have 20,000 miles on my 06 Hannigan, with no problems.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Only negative I can think of is they won't give me one for my new Wing for free!:evil:
Gary, what new wing? HUH HUH? I'm jealous. :thumbup: Haven't been out looking for car wash girls here. It is snowing, windy and darn cold... right now as I type this post. Grrrrrrrrrrr.!!!:wrong:
I haven't been online much and may have missed your post saying you have a new ride. Sorry for the hijack. :cool:

Now the sun is out and shining.. still cold and windy though. Whats up with that? :(

·
Banned
2,871 Posts
Gary, what new wing? HUH HUH? I'm jealous. :thumbup: Haven't been out looking for car wash girls here. It is snowing, windy and darn cold... right now as I type this post. Grrrrrrrrrrr.!!!:wrong:
I haven't been online much and may have missed your post saying you have a new ride. Sorry for the hijack. :cool:

Now the sun is out and shining.. still cold and windy though. Whats up with that? :(
I, who have been Trikeless since last August and have had to resort to confiscating customers Trikes for 500 mile test rides :biker:('cause nobody here knows how to share:-() have a new Wing awaiting a conversion kit! I've been waiting for my stimulas check to arrive but was told when I called the White House that the Pres. forgot to sign it before he left for Europe! :shrug: He better get back here quick...... Sooooo the first manufacturer who sends me one for free gets my vote for best Trike kit ever!

P.S. Does anyone know a competent installer? :roll:

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I, who have been Trikeless since last August and have had to resort to confiscating customers Trikes for 500 mile test rides :biker:('cause nobody here knows how to share:-() have a new Wing awaiting a conversion kit! I've been waiting for my stimulas check to arrive but was told when I called the White House that the Pres. forgot to sign it before he left for Europe! :shrug: He better get back here quick...... Sooooo the first manufacturer who sends me one for free gets my vote for best Trike kit ever!

P.S. Does anyone know a competent installer? :roll:
What kind of kit you going with? I suppose that if you were to ride it to Virginia then Dayle at Open Road could install a CSC Cobra kit for ya. heee heee heee. :joke: I believe that Blondie is pleased with the work he did for her. :thumbup: Don't forget the stimulas check though. :) Then again, you might try Lonestar Trikes. I heard that guy also does trike kits. Check him out too. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
gas tank on a hannigan

has anybody put a aux gas on a hannigan and where does the gas cap get drilled in the kit thanks

·
Banned
2,871 Posts
has anybody put a aux gas on a hannigan and where does the gas cap get drilled in the kit thanks
The tank comes installed from the factory. Nice, neat and in a great place. The filler cap assembly is installed on the left front top of the body where it rolls down toward the rear passenger footpeg.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Tooltater, George read into your thread that your conversion kit was arriving around Wednesday. I understood you to say that your ’08 was arriving. Which is it?

Anyway, if you choose to go with the Hannigan kit, you probably will not go wrong. The Hannigan offers a very smooth ride. I’m prejudiced, since I own one. I do not, however, receive any gratuities from the Hannigan factory, therefore they do not own me. I’ve ridden motorcycles for over forty years ( that, in itself, does not make me an expert) and we’ve owned the Hannigan for only a year and a half. We both wish that we would have made the switch much earlier.

There are many choices that you can make concerning converting your two wheeler. Please do not make your decision based on what I , or any one forum member will tell you. Most of us will suggest going with what WE own. What you need is not what I or any other forum member has. What you need is what YOU NEED, and no one can tell you that but yourself.

Having said that, it is continuously suggested on this forum, by many forum members, that you test ride as many different conversions as you possibly can. This can sometimes be a futile effort because one unit might not be set up exactly for your taste and you might get a false positive in your search for that particular brand. Some responses might tell you that their brand is best but be careful to ask them what they have changed from the stock configuration to get them to where they are now. Sometimes, all is not told in the recommendation. You’ll find that most installers will recommend exactly what they sell. Isn’t that a strange thing?

Be cautious. You are getting ready to spend a considerable amount of money. If you are unhappy with what you get after the conversion, you’re stuck with it. They’re not going to give you your money back. Be watchful of those who will send you e-mails. The information you get will probably be heavily slanted towards the brand that the sender owns, or works for, and will not be available to the entire forum membership for inspection. The sender could possibly receive compensation from a manufacturer, giving him a reason to not tell you the entire story. Yes, some of us might not tell you the entire truth.

Research the history of the conversion manufacturer. It was once said that the only way to look into one’s future is to know their past. How do you like the idea of you and your closest loved one riding down the road, at say 70 mph, and your drive shaft U-joint explodes? That put an immediate video in your brain, doesn’t it?

Research, and then ride!

Wayne

·
Banned
2,871 Posts
What kind of kit you going with? I suppose that if you were to ride it to Virginia then Dayle at Open Road could install a CSC Cobra kit for ya. heee heee heee. :joke: I believe that Blondie is pleased with the work he did for her. :thumbup: Don't forget the stimulas check though. :) Then again, you might try Lonestar Trikes. I heard that guy also does trike kits. Check him out too. :)
Hi there Silverhawk! I thank you for your quick and informative response :thumbup: I was actually hoping to find an installer on the island of Maui. Waitin' around for that Trike to be built would be, shall I say :yes:awesome! The ride home would give me an opportunity to test the trunk for leaks and see how she handles in wet conditions. :22yikes:

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Hi there Silverhawk! I thank you for your quick and informative response :thumbup: I was actually hoping to find an installer on the island of Maui. Waitin' around for that Trike to be built would be, shall I say :yes:awesome! The ride home would give me an opportunity to test the trunk for leaks and see how she handles in wet conditions. :22yikes:
Maui would work for me too. :thumbup: Alas and alak, I already have mine triked or I would love to travel to the islands with you. I sure could use some of that tropical sun after all those months being house bound. :lol: I guess that is my lot in life, a day late and two dollars short plus looking like shark bait. :wrong: Good luck on checking the leak tests and handling under very wet and humid conditions. You lucky dog. :cool:

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
I had a BMWK1200LT/Hannigan trike and sold it in a weak moment. I now have a GL1800/Roadsmith trike. I have/had no complaints about either. The ride is about the same as would be expected since both are relatively long WB vehicles with IRS. The Hannigan that I had did handle a bit better at speed which I attribute to it's wide track and perhaps in small part to the BMW front suspension. I don't think however, that one who didn't have a good # of miles to compare would be able to tell the difference in the handling.

·
Banned
2,871 Posts
Oh yes! I like that BMW Trike! :thumbup: I thought long and hard about it actually. But I just got a thing for a 'Yellow' Gold......................Wing! :cool:

But here I sit in Michigan, snow fallin' in April, (26) stupid degrees, no money, no Trike kit, no check from President Obama, manufacturers won't return my calls about a free one and if I show up in Kerrville it'll have to be in my F-150 :-(

But at least I got you guys.......right? Guys? Ya' there? Hello?

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
Oh yes! I like that BMW Trike! :thumbup: I thought long and hard about it actually. But I just got a thing for a 'Yellow' Gold......................Wing! :cool:

But here I sit in Michigan, snow fallin' in April, (26) stupid degrees, no money, no Trike kit, no check from President Obama, manufacturers won't return my calls about a free one and if I show up in Kerrville it'll have to be in my F-150 :-(

But at least I got you guys.......right? Guys? Ya' there? Hello?
Speaking of yellow. BMW calls the color of my K LT "Light Yellow Metallic", anyone but a Cherman would call it "golden". Go figure...?

·
Registered
337 Posts
I second my good friend Mr Wasaw, we have 19,000 on our Hannigan kit and love it. The ride is second to none and the quality is excellent. The customer support from the factory is good, too, should you need it.
The extra tank fills on the left side near the inside edge of the fender. The cap is similar (identical) the the stainless units found on many fiberglass boats. The Mrs, the Lovely Ms Jone, loves the rid eand the big trunk. Its often said on these pages "If Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody gonna be happy."
There are many fine kits out there. The key is to find the one that YOU like. Good luck and stay safe.

We keep Bev and Tina in our prayers :-(

pajim :cool:

·
Banned
2,871 Posts
They make a Yellow BMW :22yikes: Now ya' tell me :shrug: And I could have started BMW's/make/really/cool/trikes.com Me and you could have shot messages back and forth and poems and tire reversal tricks. We could have argued about whose suspension was the best, and we could have planned trips to the Black Forest and got bombed on Heiniken....:eek:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts