GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '08 Wing. My brother-in-law is considering getting either a Wing or HD touring bike, and asked me if any of the HD's have built-in GPS units. He liked the idea of it built-in, like Goldwing because of security and ability to zoom in while riding. He also liked the feature allowing the rider to push the button and hear the next turn coming up.

I told him I thought BMW was the only other model (referring to the new 1600 tourer), but I wasn't even sure that was built-in and adjustable while riding. I saw the new 1600, and it looked to me that it has a place to slide your GPS in and out, but did not look built-in, controllable from the handlebars.

Aside from the after market GPS systems, is their another motorcycle manufacturer that offers built-in GPS ?

Thanks.

·
Registered
137 Posts
The big disadvantage of a built in GPS is that it is hard to load a route in most of the units. With a unit like a Garmin you just plug it into your computer and download the route and away you go.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Gps

Harley offers several gps options for the ultra and road glide. Dash mount or handle bar.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Don't mount any electronic devices to the handlebars of a Harley. I mounted my Zumo 450 on the Harley and shook it to death in less than a thousand miles.

I don't like the built-in GPS on my new Gold Wing. It is going to be a major pain to upgrade it in a few years. The bike will outlast the GPS by many years. With a built-in unit, you will pay ten times what you should for an upgrade. If I haven't made peace with my built-in GPS by then, I will be buying a new handlebar GPS unit for next year's riding.

My recommendation is to choose the bike that best fits your needs. Then go out and select the GPS unit that works best for you with that bike.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
I have an '08 Wing. My brother-in-law is considering getting either a Wing or HD touring bike, and asked me if any of the HD's have built-in GPS units. He liked the idea of it built-in, like Goldwing because of security and ability to zoom in while riding. He also liked the feature allowing the rider to push the button and hear the next turn coming up.

I told him I thought BMW was the only other model (referring to the new 1600 tourer), but I wasn't even sure that was built-in and adjustable while riding. I saw the new 1600, and it looked to me that it has a place to slide your GPS in and out, but did not look built-in, controllable from the handlebars.

Aside from the after market GPS systems, is their another motorcycle manufacturer that offers built-in GPS ?

Thanks.
The Wing has a built in GPS? You could have fooled me, mine at best has a built in moving map, if I remember to punch through the nag screen on start up :).

There are good locking mounts for Garmin after market GPS, a much better way to go. BTW, I have a couple of Garmins on my Wing and neither is ever removed even over night at hotels except if I need to load a route.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The big disadvantage of a built in GPS is that it is hard to load a route in most of the units. With a unit like a Garmin you just plug it into your computer and download the route and away you go.
I totally agree inspite of always using the built in unit. Oddly though, when I was shopping my 2010 (torn between GW & HD), a corporate gal called in response to an email I sent; she told me the built in GPS was a Garmin product but not route specific programable...I bought the bike anyway and carry a #2 Garmin device. My greatest dislike (with the built in) is that you have to be stopped to do anything. I mean WTF, suppose I need a hospital, police, gas, food...even my volvo (safest vehicle??) doesn't expect me to dead stop for POIs.
Stupid...yeah, but moisture in my speedometer not covered by the warranty is why HD didn't get my last 20-some k! Sorry, I digress; point being that be sure to thoroughly check out what the built-in unit will permit you to do.

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
While the Nav prior to 2012 was almost a total waste of good money, there are improvements on the 2012 systems:
"Our exclusive Honda design and technology gives you the best available fully integrated GPS-based navi system on two wheels, featuring a brighter color LCD screen and step-by-step verbal directions via Gold Wing's sound system. And new for 2012: A new lane guidance feature, junction view, 3-D terrain view, and a new GPS receiver that captures satellite signals faster. Plus, with TripPlanner.Honda.com, you can plan trip routes on your home computer and upload them into your Gold Wing's navi system."
Also, if you subscribe to XM you can receive:traffic (XM NavTraffic) and weather (XM NavWeather) in addition to regular XM programs.
Is it worth the money? If you travel a lot, probably,although it's still not nearly as versatile as lesser cost stand alone units.

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
she told me the built in GPS was a Garmin product but not route specific programable...
If she knew what she was talking about, she would have told you to program the route you want to take by inputting your end destination, then add vias to get your own route.

My greatest dislike (with the built in) is that you have to be stopped to do anything. I mean WTF, suppose I need a hospital, police, gas, food...even my volvo (safest vehicle??) doesn't expect me to dead stop for POIs.
This I understand and like! It's dangerous enough on a bike without diverting one's attention pushing buttons and watching the screen instead of the car that's turning in front of you:eek:4:

Stupid...yeah, but moisture in my speedometer not covered by the warranty is why HD didn't get my last 20-some k! Sorry, I digress; point being that be sure to thoroughly check out what the built-in unit will permit you to do.
Never understood this one either! I had a gage on my Ultra do that and same answer-no warranty:?::?::?:
'''''''''

1 - 8 of 8 Posts