·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 01 and haven't seen any pictures of a cracked gl 1800 frames

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I download a bunch that Fred Harmon had taken/posted some time back. I can email them to you if Fred doesn't mind. The problem is I don't know where Fred is hanging these days to ask him. Another problem is that if you have dial up, it would take forever to download. Anybody know if Fred would have a problem sharing the pics or where I can find him?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Don't have any pics, but also have an 01. Took mine in for the frame inspection. No problems. 01s were welded using the TIG process.(What some folks might refer to as HELIARC). They went to the MIG (Automatic wire feed)process in 02 and 03. :oops: Take the bike in just to make sure, but you should be alright :yes: In my 25 plus years as a welder,
Mig has alot of variables,such as wire feed,purge gas coverage, weld speed(inches per minute) current,etc that needs to be close. If not, it makes for a porous weld,which in turn will be more inclined to crack. :eek:4:
Honda should have known better. :eek:ops2:

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Tony, I just had another thought, as you own a '01, you shouldn't have anything to worry about as your bike was built when Honda was welding the frames like the designers intended. It wasn't until some bean counter decided in mid-'02 that they didn't need to do it that way that they encountered the "oh, S#@t" stage.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Duane in Bakersfield said:
I download a bunch that Fred Harmon had taken/posted some time back. I can email them to you if Fred doesn't mind. The problem is I don't know where Fred is hanging these days to ask him. Another problem is that if you have dial up, it would take forever to download. Anybody know if Fred would have a problem sharing the pics or where I can find him?
Fred is a member of this board
He moderates http://www.1800goldwing.com and he still has some pictures (but not all the ones he used to have) here at
http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/bustedframes

Fred's user name here is Fred H. and you could probably email him from here.

Fred has posted here 25 times.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mike Winegar said:
Don't have any pics, but also have an 01. Took mine in for the frame inspection. No problems. 01s were welded using the TIG process.(What some folks might refer to as HELIARC). They went to the MIG (Automatic wire feed)process in 02 and 03. :oops: Take the bike in just to make sure, but you should be alright :yes: In my 25 plus years as a welder,
Mig has alot of variables,such as wire feed,purge gas coverage, weld speed(inches per minute) current,etc that needs to be close. If not, it makes for a porous weld,which in turn will be more inclined to crack. :eek:4:
Honda should have known better. :eek:ops2:
Very interesting!

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you Gentlemen. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts