GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, I know: go to a CLASS school or something like that. In the meantime, is there a good or roads around north metro Atlanta or north Georgia that would be a good place to get some lean in, tweak some very rusty methods, and practice up a bit before joining in with the local
wingers, who are apparently a pretty accomplished buncha riders? Don't wanna hold them back, and don't wanna get dropped either.
Seems like there would be someplace around here to do that. The local road bicycle riders have a crit in Marietta in a business park that circular, but something like that doesn't seem big enough. Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Lemm clarify - I mean without traffic and other potential hazards, sorta like a closed course idea. Sorry for not being specific.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Take a ride on Rt. 60 and a detour on Rt. 180. If you're not used to these types of curves, take them slow at first then increase your speed with experience. The key here is to practice, practice and then practice some more.

Good luck, and ride safely.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I reccomend reading and studying David Hough's "Proficient Motorcycling" where you will learn sound fundamental riding techniques, starting, stopping, braking, physics, geometry, counter steering, head & eye control, cornering, traffic, road hazards, etc. etc. etc.. Then, look for squigly lines on the map and ride there.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
If you're looking for a road, Hwy 129 between Hwy 19/9 and Hwy 180 might be what you're looking for. Lots of curves, but about half the time you have two lanes to use if needed. You won't need to go any faster than that with which you're comfortable and the road is excellent. Or take Hwy 136 east from GA 5/515. Beautiful ride without much traffic. Watch for the route signs as it makes a few 90 degree turns.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
pidjones said:
Road Atlanta?
:lol: :?:
Though about that, but the rent's too high... Wouldn't it be cool to be able to get on a track for a day?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ddking said:
If you're looking for a road, Hwy 129 between Hwy 19/9 and Hwy 180 might be what you're looking for. Lots of curves, but about half the time you have two lanes to use if needed. You won't need to go any faster than that with which you're comfortable and the road is excellent. Or take Hwy 136 east from GA 5/515. Beautiful ride without much traffic. Watch for the route signs as it makes a few 90 degree turns.
Thanks Dan. Hope you're doing well.
I've ridden 129, 60, 136, 180 (I think) and others in N Ga. Actually pretty hard to find a bad road in n Ga. What I'm talking about is somewhere other than a public roadway, where I can loosen up a bit on the technique without dodging cars, other bikes, etc. The section of 129 with 2 lanes is pretty good for that. Just wondering if there's some place I don't know about that's accessible to the public but isn't necessarily public road.
Or does everyone learn or re-learn on the road?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Best place to learn / practive is in a parking lot going about 10 to 25 MPH like ArnButt Said. There are excersisies you can perfomr to help you bocome proficient. Trialsman has a few exsercise courses set up around Woodstock. There is also a great video to watch called Ride Like a Pro IV.
You should be able to Google it. Well worth the money. This comes with gret parking lot excersises too.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
ride like a pro is coming out with a how to ride in the mountains and deals gap video in jan.!!

he is also using some vids that i filmed of him at the dragon!!

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
ANut,

Don't know of anyplace like you're describing, wish I did......

We (The Wingstock Mafia) would love to have you ride with us. You're so darn close. We really don't ride that fast. We can wick it up, at times, but if we have someone new with us, we're content to just enjoy the ride and the BBQ.

We do like to log miles though. But, again, we can adjust to a new found riding buddy. Try us, you'll like us. Ride and eat Q.

Probably going out tomorrow (Sunday). Got electrics? Suppose to be cold in the morning but around 55 in the afternoon.

Paul Crowder
Trialsman

·
Registered
222 Posts
Here's the map I use when doing a North GA mountain run. I don't get there as often as I'd like being on the south side of Atlanta.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
OK
Mirtes is awake (late office party last night; great food...)

Who's riding today? I think the DDKing Pig Trail Run is perfect for ANut to practice; there's almost no traffic on those roads.

It's 0822 now. I'll call Paul in a few minutes and get the ball rolling. Everybody else post if you're awake...

Beautiful day to ride. Like 30 to 40 in the hills right now.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Wish I could make it today. I promised Cole we would go dirt bike riding.Gonna go to Dahlonega to the ATV trails.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
I have the Wing you can ride. All clean and ready to go. Actually getting ready to go wax it in the garage. I cant help you out on the leg. If I could, you know I would.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
ddking said:
I only need two things and I'll be ready...a wing, and a leg to stand on.
Anyone???????
Have fun.
You're really milking this injured thing, aren't you? :wink:

Man, it would've been great if you could've swung the deal for Yellow Wolf's bike; kept it in the family and all.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ah Jeez! Sounds like a great idea and a great day for a ride. Unfortunately, I'm working in the tandem shop today catching up on late builds for Xmas.
However, I'd consider it an honor to ride with you guys sometime very soon. Just don't want to hold the group up while I try to get the feel back on this wing.
Please let me know the next time you're riding.
Thanks

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Toyo said:
I have the Wing you can ride. All clean and ready to go. Actually getting ready to go wax it in the garage. I cant help you out on the leg. If I could, you know I would.
There is no doubt in my mind. But you did say it is, "All clean and ready to go." I'm sorry, but I'll have to wait until it's dirty. Can you let me know when that will be, please. :lol:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts