GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My problem: rear tire is shot, front tire is still good & I want to go to Metzlers, but the front Metzs are still on back order.

Soooo...I'm considering putting a new Metz on the rear and going with my Dunlop front until the new Metz fronts make it out.

I'm usually opposed to mixing tire brands on cars. With the different tread patterns between front and rear tires anyway, is this a big deal on a bike??

Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
221 Posts
I don't think I have ever had the same brand on the front and back since my '01 bike was new. I never experienced any problem doing it. I currently have a Metzler front and a Dunlop rear.

:yw1:

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Chris,

I have a Bridgestone front and Dunlop rear (rear replaced by Honda under a service bulletin on early 2001 models). No issues here. In fact, I did not know that I had 2 brands until I went to clean the bike.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I also have Bridgestone on front annd Dunlop on rear the only thing I have problem is the Dunlop has slight slip in heavy rain while turning, other than that I don't feel any other problems, I have about 10,000 mile on this setup of tires.
In heavy rain you want Bridgestones. Metzeler tires that I had on my 2002
where still holding up well at 18,000 miles fornt was cupped and rear tire
seperated at 18,000 miles. Dealer did not have rear Bridgestone when I had to replace my tires.
John

·
Registered
53 Posts
mixing tires

Is the new mez front available? I have a slippery lop rear that cant handle wet roads, add groves and oils it gets exciting. I have had to get off of the Interstate before and will run lop front and mez rear if safe???

·
Registered
939 Posts
I have a Metz on the front and a Stone on the rear. This is because I got a nail in my almost new Metz and all the dealer had to replace it was a Stone. No Problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts