GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Test rode a used 2018 DCT yesterday. Not sure this old dog is looking to learn a new trick. Those with the new 6 speed R U happy with it?

·
Registered
356 Posts
I like my manual..... that said, I think my next Wing is going to be the DCT. Not because I dislike my manual, just that I think it's time for new technology to play a part in my riding life. DCT's are a great alternative in cars, and I think it's the same in bikes. Any time I get stuck in traffic now, I just think . o O ( Next time for sure. )

·
Registered
560 Posts
Yes. That said, from what I've read here, I would not be afraid of the DCT.
Six years ago I moved from a Harley and purchased an F6B. Buddy of mine asked a lot of questions about my F6B. My advice to him was "Don't Ride One Because You Will End Up Purchasing It". Needless to say a month later he owned an F6B.

Sunday same Buddy called, he wanted to know how I liked my 2018 Standard DCT. He had test ridden the DCT and was a bit concerned about throttle control at low speed and was leaning toward the 6-speed. I told him you have to get used to applying throttle a bit differently on the DCT compared to the F6B. I suggested he read the "DCT riding - tips, techniques, observations" thread posted on this forum and take another ride on the DCT. Maybe start out in Rain Mode at first to get comfortable. Do turns, stops, slow maneuvering in the parking lot first.

Told my Buddy I got used to the new feel of the DCT throttle pretty quickly and would never go back. He's 68 now, I told him he would never regret a DCT purchase. Be interesting to see where he ends up ??

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have 13,000 on my 6 speed and would not even consider a DCT (automatic) I have been driving manual transmissions since I was 10 years old, now I'm 72 and still enjoy the shifting gears and making everything work smoothly and precise. When I want to drive a automatic I go drive my car. I just enjoy having complete control of the motorcycle. To me that is what motorcycling is all about.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Absolutely love the 6 speed. I was 100% sure I was going to buy the DCT based on the feedback here and on the net and test drove one with every intention of buying. For me, it just didn’t feel “motorcycle” enough. I think it’s a beautiful pc of engineering but in the end I smile with every manual shift I make with silky smooth Honda six speed. After 1500 miles I would definitely buy the the manual six again no question.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I do not think that I can recall a single owner here that purchased the 6 speed manual and regretted it. There are a couple who purchased the DCT and it just did not work for them. I would advise ANYBODY who test drives a DCT to take a long test ride and immediately have the dealer perform a DCT initialization ifnit seems jerky in shifting up or down. Immediately ride it for another ling ride and form an opinion. Plenty here took short test drives and did not give it enough time to form an honest opinion. I did not do a test ride, bought mine out of state. Had I taken a short ride on a new bike wo the DCT initialization I would have bought the manual. Guess it all worked out. The 6 speed manual seems like a fantastic transmission.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I have 4 bikes including the 2018 Tour M6. All have manual transmissions. I didn't wish to relearn riding when I jump from one bike to the other. I also like the absolute control of the M6. I'm not disappointed in the least, and would buy an M6 again if looking for a bike.

·
Registered
794 Posts
This old dog is on his 7th Goldwing in 36 years and I was VERY ambivalent about the DCT. My wife (surprisingly) bought a 2018 before I did. She saw a matte silver DCT on the floor and bought it without taking a test ride (she's been riding motorcycles for 45+ years). The Honda dealer encouraged me to buy the DCT but I told him all the reasons why I wouldn't. I even told him about a rumor I heard a few years ago about the new automatic Goldwing. All that ran through my mind at that time was oooh crap, not on THE Goldwing !

Well, my wife let me ride her new Goldwing and ride I did. Turns out my wife and the Honda dealer were right. I really love the DCT not only because I can hold my coffee mug in city driving but I don't have to mess with a clutch in traffic. Moreover if you're a defensive rider you'll keep your bike in gear at a red light so when you hear that car behind you locking his brakes you can quickly make a defensive maneuver to get out of the way. With DCT you are always prepared.

I still have a 2001 Suzuki and my wife also has a 2014 Valkrye so I'm not opposed to manual transmissions. I rode the DCT and I just really like it.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I don't think you can go wrong either way.

I want to say that plenty of DCT riders are still learning how to exploit the DCT after a few thousand miles or more. You might not even scratch the surface in 1000 miles. Last week one owner with 16,000 miles was telling me how much he likes his and how much more he was learning how to use it differently in varying conditions - and he was one with major DCT regret at about 1,000 miles. I have 32,000 miles on a DCT 700 and ride it much differently than I did at 1000 miles when I posted a 1000 mile review. This is not a zero sum decision, giving up 100% to get 100% of something else.I think you get much more than you give up but it's hard to explain.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,581 Posts
I wanted the manual transmission from the start and I have no regrets at all. The new 6-speed is the best Honda transmission I've ever rode...smoother, tighter and quieter. The slipper clutch makes the downshifts silky smooth. This transmission is a major upgrade with the Gold Wing and Honda doesn't get enough credit with this new 6-speed transmission.... its everything that members on this forum having been wanting Honda to do with the Gold Wings transmission for the last ten years....love the gear indicator too, been wanting that feature for years.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I come from a Corvette road racing background. I love manuals and of the 9 vehicles I have owned 7 have been manuals...the trailblazer SS and 6 passenger/long box 3/4 pickup were not available in manuals.

However, from a performance standpoint a DCT is going to win the shifting award every time. There simply is no way to shift faster or smoother than the dct. Yes, I know that one drag racer ran his 6 speed very respectably and stated he could launch the 6 speed better/faster than the dct...but that was on a track environment, him dumping the clutch with a prepped road surface, and a very experienced rider. In daily riding scenarios where you are not dumping the clutch the dct wins hands down. Just like the comparison between abs and threshold braking...YES is is possible to out brake abs using threshold braking. However, in most scenarios without multiple attempts to get the braking pressure just right for the current road conditions modern abs will win hands down in a fast stop competition.

My point is, people have always resisted technology improvements on vehicles with the thought of “I want to be in control of my vehicle completely.” Or “I don’t trust the reliability of it.” Or whatever else they come up with.

Honda put a ton of time and research into the dct. There is simply no way to put perform it when it comes to shifting. Now, some may like their motorcycling experience more shifting gears themselves...but that’s personal preference and it’s still not as fast or smooth as dct. The reliability of the Goldwing Dct remains to be shown...but it is still a Honda so I’m sure it will stand the test of time.

There is a reason so many high end performance cars and race cars are going to dct.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,581 Posts
So the DCT can shift a eyeblink faster than a manual..so what..I'm still trying to understand why the shifting faster thing is such a big deal ? I can shift and downshift 2 gear at a time with my 6-speed pretty darn quick and it shifts effortlessly.... honestly I've never ever once thought how nice it would be if I could shift a eyes blink faster with my touring bike.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So far I haven't seen anyone disappointed with the 6M. That is what I was looking for. I have no doubt the DCT can out shift the manual and would be better in heavy traffic. My approach to riding is to be better at all the skills required to ride than I was on the last ride. Being able to shift smoothly matching rpm to the gear selected all that stuff is rewarding to me. Current ride is a 2018 bmw k1600 gtl with 17K on the OD It's no slouch in the technology department but the ergos are better suited to a more flexible body than mine. Thanks for your input. Dave

·
Registered
236 Posts
So the DCT can shift a eyeblink faster than a manual..so what..I'm still trying to understand why the shifting faster thing is such a big deal ? I can shift and downshift 2 gear at a time with my 6-speed pretty darn quick and it shifts effortlessly.... honestly I've never ever once thought how nice it would be if I could shift a eyes blink faster with my touring bike.
I’m sure if running spiritedly down the Dragon in sport mode it would be a sizeable improvement/difference by the end. Dct would keep the bike in a better power band where it wouldn’t make sense to shift a manual due to the time required/concentration setting up for the next turn. Also, in straight line acceleration in sport mode I imagine the DCT probably pulls 2 bikes length from 5-80mph simply due to being able to shift WOT and not having to shift/lift off the throttle...which if running a tight course/road like the Dragon would be another big advantage going between 2nd and 3rd gear often.

The DCT would have the advantage in both acceleration and braking and the more technical of a road the more that advantage will show over time.

If performance like that makes no difference to someone’s riding style then the smoothness of the dct might. It was nice not having my wife’s helmet bouncing off the back of my helmet on shifts getting onto the highway haha

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
All the 6sp will still be running and shifting a few years down the road barring the usual manual transmission woes which most are owner induced. How many DCT will be running a few years down the road? Far less percentagewise. How many will be running 25yrs down the road? I would wager zero.You will not regret the 6sp, you will regret the DCT. It may not be today, maybe not 12 months from now, but all that buy will regret sooner or later.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Test rode a used 2018 DCT yesterday. Not sure this old dog is looking to learn a new trick. Those with the new 6 speed R U happy with it?
For those that are considering the new Wing Tour, your only real choices are color and transmission.

My recommendation:
If you commute in the city traffic, get the DCT.
Otherwise, either transmission is fine.

·
Registered
2019 Darkness Black Goldwing DCT (1800BD)
937 Posts
All the 6sp will still be running and shifting a few years down the road barring the usual manual transmission woes which most are owner induced. How many DCT will be running a few years down the road? Far less percentagewise. How many will be running 25yrs down the road? I would wager zero.You will not regret the 6sp, you will regret the DCT. It may not be today, maybe not 12 months from now, but all that buy will regret sooner or later.
Go check the NC700X, or CTX700, or Africa Twin forums. DCTs are as reliable as manuals.

Reactions: Order66

·
Registered
33 Posts
I got a 2018 Standard 6-speed manual transmission and I really love it.
But...., I did the test ride of the DCT and now after 2400 miles I have to admit if I were to but a Goldwing again it would be the DCT model.
The 6-speed manual gearbox of the Goldwing is fantastic and smooth, but the DCT is on another level in terms os accuracy and smoothness.
No matter how experienced I can be the DCT will always do it much faster and better.
If you want to take control of the bike, you can shift to manual on the DCT, and everything is at your fingertips...
So, the only thing I can think of to improve my 2018 Goldwing would be to switch to the DCT model.

Regards.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts