GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am candidate for knee job. Would like to hear from others with knee replacement info. Does this automatically relegate me to a sidecar or trike? Any chance of still handling a Goldwing. I am 63 and have been riding since 1970. Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
2 Posts
knee replacement

I had my knee replaced almost three years ago. Soon as I stopped going to physical therapy I started riding again. Work hard to rehab the knee and you will be better than before surgery. :rw1:

·
Registered
324 Posts
I haven't had knee surgery, but have arthritis in both knees,hips and shoulders, or so Dr. says. They do hurt a lot. If I find the money, am going to trike mine. I love the looks of trikes anyway. Have been getting prices. Hope to get it done this spring. Harry

·
Registered
53 Posts
There is nothing to prevent you from doing what you did before TKR. The key is to work hard through the PT and keep it up forever to maintain full knee movement. If your knees have degenerated to the point of limiting normal activities than you will be glad you had the replacement but I would recommend you give up trying to run in marathons.

G

·
Knee replacement

Ditto working hard with your therapy. Had mine done 7 yrs ago. Was 40 at the time. Met a much older guy that ended up with better bending results than I did, but I've been riding ever since! You'll be glad you had it done.

·
Registered
167 Posts
This is really wild as I'm scheduled to have my right knee replaced the 12th of next month & am now in theropy for the left. You could not have asked at a better time even though giving up riding the stock bike had never crossed my mind ( such as it is ).

Ride Safe, Larry :D

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks a lot for good news. Still not sure what I will be doing about knee. Just depends on how current treatment goes. I appreciate the upbeat info.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I agree totally with the Physical Therapy comments. We have a 52 year old woman in our GWRRA group who had both knees replaced last January. She worked her butt off in PT and rode her GL 1500 from Ohio to Americade in June 2003. In this case hard work paid big dividends. Piper

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've had both knees replaced and I'm a strong advocate for the procedure. As others have said rehab is the key.

Pros: I can do things I haven't been able to do for twenty years. No more pain. The knees I have were designed for 120 degres maximum flexion. (The organic ones have a best of 140). With dedication in rehab I've got the full 120 and I can ride sportbikes again. And climb ladders and trees. And sleep all night.

Cons: among the things I can do that I haven't done for twenty years is mowing the lawn. I'll never be able to fly again without being sent to the Group W bench for "special processing". When my knees get cold, my knees get REAL COLD and it takes a long time to get warm again. Heated clothing is great stuff.

·
Registered
824 Posts
PBear said:
This is really wild as I'm scheduled to have my right knee replaced the 12th of next month & am now in theropy for the left. You could not have asked at a better time even though giving up riding the stock bike had never crossed my mind ( such as it is ).

Ride Safe, Larry :D
Larry, take care. If you need anything you got my number - use it. Hi to Betty

·
I U Turn
888 Posts
I'm going to try and make it through the summer , and then have my left knee replaced in the fall. Doc said when I was readey to give him a call.
I'm glad to have heard so much positive reports about TKR from you guys. Thanks
**** :lol: :yw1:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Knee replacement

I had mine done three years ago this past October. The one thing that made me work hard at physical therapy was "I wanted to ride in the spring." The PT is critical. I hated my knee for the first 6 months because of the frustration level I had with not healing fast enough for me. But after that I would not trade that new joint for the world. I no longer chase the "bad guys" at work but retirement is two weeks away so who cares. :D

I recommend the knee relacement if you are having problems and the doctor says go for it. My replacement was my 7th surgery on that knee and it was time.

You'll enjoy riding a lot more once it's done and rehabed.

·
Registered
78 Posts
skudrunner said:
Spunky:
Curious as to why you won't be able to fly again, I assume you mean an airplane.
I meant that with titanium knees I set off metal detectors without fail. So I have to go sit on the Group W bench with the other terrorist suspects.

Sorry if I wasn't clear about that.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Knee replacement

Spunky - I know what you mean about setting off the metal detectors. I flew out of the Minneapolis airport last March and had to wait to be checked. I knew the cops working that day :D and even showed the "security person" my work ID and explained about my knee. The young kid working the security station was less than friendly to begin with and seemed more upset that he now had to hand wand me. :cry: He kept hitting my knee with the wand and smiling. One of the cops that was working there finally came over to the kid and told him to knock it off. :cop2:

I know that it will be a very long time before I fly again just because I don't want to go thru all of the hassle again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
knee replacement

The new replacement caused me to change from a 1986 BMW R-80 RT to a Wing. Had the surgery in April 2002 and was rideing in June. Bought a used 99 Wing in July and put 7000 miles on it by November and ordered a new 1800. PT is the most important thing along with a good attitude. Not too bad for a guy that will be 65 this summer. If riding is important to you it will not slow you down,

1 - 16 of 16 Posts