GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any " Scala G4 " communication riders ?

Currently I have no helmet head sets, but I have been loaned and tried the J&M corded set. Recently, the Scala G4 has caught my attention. I primarily need passenger to passenger communication and the Bluetooth connection for the wife's phone would be an added bonus. We don't share the same style of music/ talk so piping into the radio would just cause an argument. Any feed back from those that have these ?

Attachments

·
Registered
268 Posts
IMHO they are junk. The radio reception is poor. You do not have anything to tell you which channel you are listening to, so you have to wait for the station to announce itself. I had the dual set and so did my friends. We could not keep the headsets programmed to recongnize each other for three way communication and they had difficulty with the two way between themselves. I sold mine for a loss after they would suddenly quit working and I would have to reset them. The updates for Scala on their site are useless. I would not buy them. I think you are better off with a portable FM radio in your pocket with a headset.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Have really enjoyed them but have only had them for three months. They are really nice at bluetoothing music and talking to passenger wirelessly. I have not tried to use them to listen to the radio.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
I have the scala 2 sets (not the 4)---- we love them for passenger to rider communicating--far superior to the honda intercom system. Really like that you do not have to plug/unplug to the bike. Batteries last all day long (13 hours+)--for just talking back and forth-then recharge overnight. Like a previous poster said--the built in fm radio SUCKS. But you could use an ipod/mp3 player in addition to the scala---the scala speakers are quite small/flat so there should be room for other speakers if you really need/want music. (I am using dual speakers so I can talk to one friend via cb(i have to plug in to the bike for this) and to another friend who occasionally uses my scala b/c he does not have a cb. We just did this on a 3000 mile trip to colorado and it worked well. I was the relay between my 2 friends, b/c I could talk to each of them, tho they could not talk to each other.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I thought about trying to connect the output of the radio - gps from the Goldwing system through an input wire into the Scala system. Don't know if this will work.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I use the wireless Blueant Interphone F4 units for cell phone and bike to bike and rider to passenger communications. These units will pair wilth eight different bluetooth devices. Great digital stereo clarity and fully waterproof. Easy to operate.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't listen to the radio with or without headsets. If I did I would add the (( XM )) as you can never go back to FM. The wireless connection is the real attraction. The wife is an inexperienced and occasional rider and to add to that a hook-up cord........well... I imagine she would be happy with the ability to yack on the phone, Bluetooth her music, and just in general feel in touch with her Blackberry . The downside is another battery to charge but this is becoming the de rigueur of everything.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I've been using the G2 set for 2 years. love it, no problems. If all you want to to talk to your passenger and bluetooth to the phone, save a bunch of money and get the Teamset. The G4 has a lot of functions you won't need.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've been using the G2 set for 2 years. love it, no problems. If all you want to to talk to your passenger and bluetooth to the phone, save a bunch of money and get the Teamset. The G4 has a lot of functions you won't need.
I'm listening. Did you just save my wife a bunch of money ?

·
Registered
673 Posts
we have the teamset also. and like them very much. dont listen to music though the headsets anyway. the bike stereo works just fine. teamset has the bluetooth.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I use Cardo Scala Rider Q2 system. I've used it for three years. I use it in some way whenever I ride (for music and for cell phone use usually). I've used the intercom mode and the bike-to-bike mode frequently.

I was looking for something cordless and eventually could use for bike-to-bike later on, if my long distance riding buddy would buy one, too (which he has and worked well on a 2500-mile trip this summer). I also wanted simplicity: something that I could use with my iPod, use as intercom, sync with my phone, and sync with my GPS. This does all of that at an affordable price.

In my opinion, you really need a face shield of some sort to stop the wind. In other words, it doesn't work very well with an open face helmet. Otherwise, it attaches easily to any full face or 3/4 helmets. I imagine it would attach just as easily to a modular helmet as well.

The sound quality of the Scala is very good and it has a volume control for intercom and bike-to-bike; you use the iPod volume control to control music volume (I have a handlebar mounted remote (by Monster) that has the same controls my iPod has, allowing me to skip songs, pause, and adjust the volume). The iPod is connected by cord, with the iPod in my left jacket pocket or on my belt. Otherwise, everything is cordless. My wife has hers connected to her iPod, so we each have separate music.

The music sound quality is a bit "tinny", but I suspect all headsets sound similarly. It's not earbud quality, but it's darn good. It also can be helped slightly by the sound equalizer on your iPod.

The intercom sound quality and bike-to-bike sound quality are both excellent. The Q2 sets have a little more than a half mile range. The Scala G3 sets have about a mile range. Both are line of sight. If you lose sight of your riding buddy, you lose communication. 5/8 mile range is plenty for me and my riding buddy.

A negative: each headset can have a "main" pairing and a "secondary" pairing. This means that you can't communicate with more than two persons. If you have a large group, a CB would be better. Again, this works for me.

Supposedly, the battery life is 8 hours of talk time. I imagine it's about 10 hours with music, intercom, and some "standby" time. It recharges in 3 hours by a wall charger. There is a cigarette lighter-type charger for it as well which can be purchased separately.

It's a "full duplex" system, meaning it's NOT walkie-talkie mode, where you push to talk and cancel out the other person. It can be voice-activated or push button activated to open the speaking channel. Once it's open, if you're in voice-activation mode, then after 30 sec of non-activity, it'll close the channel, and revert back to music, if it's playing. If you're not in voice-activation mode, you just push a button to close the channel to listen to music. To reopen the channel, just push the button again.

I cancel voice activation mode because the wind tends to open the channel automatically.

The Scala system has a internal hierarchy of 1) gps 2) cell phone 3) intercom/bike-to-bike 4) music. #1 & 2 may be reversed. I have a GPS that doesn't have Bluetooth, so I don't have voice commands from the GPS.

It also has FM radio, too, which I never use, because, as mentioned, it's poor quality.

If there's a better, less expensive, all-in-one system that will sync with your Bluetooth, phone and GPS... I don't know about it.

That's probably more info than you wanted, but I hope I've helped. Good luck on your choice!

If I wanted the same features with a corded system, I'd have to buy a CB ($500+), plus a corded headset system ($250?), an mp3 adapter (more money), and I've probably forgotten something.

This was the best system for me.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What did you riders pay for your sets: Teamset and the Q2 ? A site is selling the G4 for $310 delivered. I'm assuming it is a pair as pictured on the box.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Great review, Tim.

We've used the G4's since this spring and love 'em. My wife rides her own bike and we wanted a way to talk while riding. It's great being able to plan stops, point out sights, warn of hazards, etc. We rarely use the radio function. If your priority is music, there are probably other alternatives.

Nothing is perfect but "junk" they are not. They've worked great for us and were something to happen to them, we'd replace them with the same in a heartbeat.

Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
What did you riders pay for your sets: Teamset and the Q2 ? A site is selling the G4 for $310 delivered. I'm assuming it is a pair as pictured on the box.
The "Powerset" is the 2 G4 pre-paired units. If it is indeed the dual unit Powerset they're selling for that price it's very good.

·
Registered
498 Posts
My son and I use the Scala G4 set all the time. We love it. We have never had a problem that cant be settled by the instruction. The instrctions are a pain. I also use it for my phone. That works great. Loud and clear. People I am talking to say they were surprised to learn I was on a bike. i love yhe scala set.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts