GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a Kumho RF for the rear mainly for the added benefits of the run flat capability and the softer ride versus the MT tires. I have been reading several ideas and it looks to be narrowed down to the Battleax 45 or the Sport Demon. Would one be better than the other to run with the rear Kumho. I also recently added the TireGard TPMS and decided to try the CT set up on the rear and want to replace to Stone 709 on the front which is getting close to the wear bars. Should I change to the Kumho on the rear first and give it a little time to get used to or go all the way and do front and rear at the same time? Thanks for any and all input and ideas in advance. RIDE SAFE...TV

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
When I first mounted my Kumho, also mounted a new BS 709 on the front, it only lasted 7k and I then went to the Battlax 45. After mounting the battlax I saw no difference in handling of the bike, same as the 709. Now the Kumho has more than 25k on it and the AX has 15k. Kumho is getting near its end, but the Ax has over half the thread left.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Battleax will be my next front tire / 709 is good but 7000 is about max on mileage for us.:doorag:

·
Registered
323 Posts
:doorag:not a darksider yet but, maybe in the future. My question is, I am running bridgestones and have 19000 miles on the front, rear about 9000, and about gone. have run 36 psi in the front. i,m wondering why y'all got such low mileage out of your front tires? thanks.:p

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
:doorag:not a darksider yet but, maybe in the future. My question is, I am running bridgestones and have 19000 miles on the front, rear about 9000, and about gone. have run 36 psi in the front. i,m wondering why y'all got such low mileage out of your front tires? thanks.:p

Me to the stone 709 is a excellent front tire i get about 20 to 22 k on mine you can run it low as 32psi with no effect on tyre life or grip

Cheers :thumbup:

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Having run the Battlax as my first Biased ply up front,and now the Pirelli sport demon..

Let me tell you that both are good tires,But-"well there is always a But"-right!

The Battlax is a dual compound tread,meaning the center portion has a different compound than the sides for mileage..

The Pirelli is a single compound and Pirelli says their compound gives long mileage as well..

I am rather hard on tires and the But is,the dual compound cupped on me to the point that it annoyed me so much that I took it off with plenty of usable tread life left on it for the single compound of the Pirelli..

The Pirelli is wearing just fine with no cupping like the Battlax did with less miles than the Pirelli has on it now.

For 95% of riders either tire will do just fine.I'm sure not very many people ride like it like they stole it? But I'm having fun all the while doing it too.. lol

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
When I had my CT mounted I went with an E3 up front. So far so good, but haven't been able to put nearly as many miles on it as I'd like.

Gwyn didn't want me to put a CT on, even saying she'd never ride with me if I do. Well, I put it on and she loves the way it rides. If I told her I wanted a CT on front too I can only imagine what she'd say.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
When I had my CT mounted I went with an E3 up front. So far so good, but haven't been able to put nearly as many miles on it as I'd like.

Gwyn didn't want me to put a CT on, even saying she'd never ride with me if I do. Well, I put it on and she loves the way it rides. If I told her I wanted a CT on front too I can only imagine what she'd say.

Ahhh,But the front tire we are using doesn't look like what you're calling a CT..It's a Round Bike tire,so unless you knew it was a rear biased ply with a ton more tread,one wouldn't know the difference..I bet you'd get this one by her without her noticing you went double dark...lol

Both my Battlax and now this Pirelli had as good as or better grip the the E3 and Stone 709 it replaced...

The point is-I ride my tires hard and the only difference I have found is my front tire now feathers like my rear CT (constant hard riding ),because that's how I ride 95% on the time..Rocky likes a matching set of tires..

BTW:
Feathering happened with the other brands I tried too..I don't complain as long as I'm getting the grip I do from my tires!! :thumbup:

The price I pay for living so close to so many twisty roads I have to myself during the week...:doorag:

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
When I first mounted my Kumho, also mounted a new BS 709 on the front, it only lasted 7k and I then went to the Battlax 45. After mounting the battlax I saw no difference in handling of the bike, same as the 709. Now the Kumho has more than 25k on it and the AX has 15k. Kumho is getting near its end, but the Ax has over half the thread left.
I have the 709 on front also and @14,000 with dyna beads, more smiles for me! You should be getting more smiles. I run mine @ 38 psi.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Bridgestone Battlax

Are you guys that have the Bridgestone Battlax running them with the directional arrow or backwards against the directional arrow. I currently have the Bridgestone 709 on the front and it does well for me, it has 13,500 miles and will do several thousand more. I'm currently looking for something to replace it with. Also are you putting 3oz of dyna-beads in the rear CT RF?

·
Registered
796 Posts
Are you guys that have the Bridgestone Battlax running them with the directional arrow or backwards against the directional arrow. I currently have the Bridgestone 709 on the front and it does well for me, it has 13,500 miles and will do several thousand more. I'm currently looking for something to replace it with. Also are you putting 3oz of dyna-beads in the rear CT RF?

I'm running the Battlax and have it on backwards. I did that based on other posts here, and was convinced it was the best way to do it. Others are running them forward and having not problems. I don't think it really matters.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Twyn,
Its much easier to get forgiveness, than permission!!!!! BTW, Conti on back, Battleax on front, mounted with directional arrow. No going back!!!! :flg: Semper-fi

·
Smoky
1,191 Posts
wingnut6670,
This is what I am running.
Front: Bridgestone - Battlax BT-45 130/70H18 @ 40 psi, 2 oz. Dyna Beads
Rear: ContiProContact SSR 195/55VR16 @ 30 psi, 3 oz. Dyna Beads
Battlax is run with arrow facing forward. Grips as good as MT to me.

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
I'll somewhat echo Rocky. The Battlax is a good tire but will feather pretty quick, if it spends a lot of time on its side. If mine ever wears out, I'll try the Sport Demon. I now only use the bias ply tires on interstate runs.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all replies and suggestions, I just ordered a Sport Demon for the front and have put about 100 or so miles on the Kumho I put on the back. The more the miles...the more the smiles.. can't wait to get it broke it, it looks like the beginning of a long term relationship. Now I'm looking forward to getting the Sport Demon on the front and never looking back...Y'all RIDE SAFE---TV

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Gallute, you lurker! I like your periodic apperances....say what you mean!

Rocky,
I dont believe that the Battlax has better grip than the 709...Support that with empirical data will ya?

How about other witnesses to such an event? Trialsman, do you believe that? Meteor? Laen?...no, not him!...Stick?

it does not even make sense that a tire that gets chewed-up and cupped all to hell prior to normal wear would actually be biting the asphaltian terrain with more certitude than my fav 709.

...and many experts contend that there is no way a bias is gonna have better gripage than the radial...

Ok! I am fully suited...go ahead

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
So it hums, it bounces, wobbles and vibrates. The tread is deeper and so naturally it will compress more on the leading edge and cup faster. Hum??

I am approaching 17,000 miles on my front tire, and that is a worthless(hard and slick) Dunlop 250 original tire. I have sitting on the work bench both the Sport Demon and a new 709 stone.

More and more looking like the Stone will win the race. Still watching, listening, when the weather warms in a week or so, going to install one of them, looks more and more like there will be a sport demon up for sale for 50 bucks and shipping.

Not into buzzes, vibrations and all that. Even the 250 is still doing well, not one bit of cupping(well just a tiny bit-sunken just a bit on the leading edge) just getting thin, and I run it two pounds low to help with the front end a bit. However I do run Ride/On in the tire, to help it maintain balance for the life of the tire. We will see, watching with great interest. Already put the stone in my signature, so I guess my mind is made up,

You could not bribe me to use any other tire than the Kumho, but my decision for the front is the stone, yours may differ, when I get time I will put the Demon up for sale, find something to ship it in. Stay tuned.

Tire is sold, gone, did not take long. Sold on 1/27/09

Kit

1 - 20 of 40 Posts